ponza88

Josh Gordon 2017 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

Here's the absolute and utter stupidity in all of this:

 

If I was a NFL player and was in regular pain that was difficult to tolerate I would rather smoke weed. This is due to health concerns when it comes to opiates and really nothing else. However, I would be forced to take the absolutely unhealthy route and further destroy my body to fit the NFLs narrative and coorperate greed. It is absolutely disgusting and makes me despise the league. If I wasn't addicted to the sport the same way Gordon is to pot I would not watch for that reason alone a long time ago.

Edited by Gohawks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Here's the absolute and utter stupidity in all of this:

 

If I was a NFL player and was in regular pain that was difficult to tolerate I would rather smoke weed. This is due to health concerns when it comes to opiates and really nothing else. However, I would be forced to take the absolutely unhealthy route and further destroy my body to fit the NFLs narrative and coorperate greed. It is absolutely disgusting and makes me despise the league. If I wasn't addicted to the sport the same way Gordon is to pot I would not watch for that reason alone a long time ago.

 

Josh Gordon isn't in pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

 

Josh Gordon isn't in pain. 

 

 

no he is a full blown addict which some may consider worse. Addiction never goes away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 7:48 AM, dashoe said:

My issue with the NFL is if they make it a policy to use off field conduct and behavior as a stipulation for employment be it smoking, bar fights, domestic issues, etc then they should also make it a policy to provide professional assistance in those areas as well. Meaning in the case of Josh Gordon  if you know a player is an addict then provide that player with the resources to deal with the addiction vs simply warning them and kicking them out of the league. That does not manage addiction and that is not helping them.  if your policy is to allow opiate use  which  can lead to addiction, then provide the resources for your players to avoid or manage potential addiction issues.  If ur administering drug tests then provide treatment to the best addiction facilities in the country if  players fail the test.

Football is a a physical game of aggression and pain and injury are a couple of the byproducts. So help players manage that so that aggression and pain does not adversely affect their domestic lives.

 

The NFL practices cherry picking vs comprehensive solutions

 

There are plenty of excellent free programs to kick addiction.  Josh hasn't used them.   That's on him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

 

Josh Gordon isn't in pain. 

That's not the point. Plenty players are and they are forced to take an alternative that can cause liver and brain damage. They are prescribed opiates in drones. It's frankly sickening. I mean they've been sued over it. Just pointing out the stupid hypocrisy of the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OPIATES IN DRONES  :o

 

I don't even believe in drinking and driving :D

 

Talk about new ways to get high :blink:

Edited by howlin' 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Josh Gordon isn't in pain."

How do you know?  Marijuana is a tremendous help for mental health pain as well.  I'd bet the vast majority of NFL players could benefit from it..

 

And the full blown addict stuff?  Please.  DARE is down the other hall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IT8 said:

"Josh Gordon isn't in pain."

How do you know?  Marijuana is a tremendous help for mental health pain as well.  I'd bet the vast majority of NFL players could benefit from it..

 

And the full blown addict stuff?  Please.  DARE is down the other hall.

 

If you're throwing away your career over a substance you're an addict.  Period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or the substance isn't worth being banned.  And it is of use to your health.  And you determined it's worth it, or might be.  Ricky WIlliams did, and has been extremely open about how much it benefits his life.  

 

Addiction is a copout concept in the case of most substances, especially cannabis.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in recovery myself & I didn't get better until I really wanted it. My problem is and was alcohol. 

 

For a guy to throw away millions to smoke pot is laughable to me. I know, it's legal in 25% of the country but not in the NFL.

 

Is marijuana the only substance he's struggling with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IT8 said:

Or the substance isn't worth being banned.  And it is of use to your health.  And you determined it's worth it, or might be.  Ricky WIlliams did, and has been extremely open about how much it benefits his life.  

 

Addiction is a copout concept in the case of most substances, especially cannabis.  

 

 

Addiction is not a copout if you have an addiction. Your post implies physical addiction  but the fact is most addiction is psychological based. We don't know if Josh gordons addiction is physical or psychological but his actions demonstrate clearly he is an addict. He makes consistently made negative choices that directly affected the norms of his well being and livelihood.  Too many comments on this thread speak of addiction in terms of common sense or morality or a guy being strong or weak character wise.  Yeah unfortunately it's not that simple. 

Addicts need treatment/support so they dont harm themselves and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont get addicts. Especially marijuana addicts. I've been smoking ever since I was 14 in Middle school with the homies, but I can honestly say Im not an addict. I to could go cold turkey whenever I want, and I have too many times. I dont get how you really become a weed addict. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

I dont get addicts. Especially marijuana addicts. I've been smoking ever since I was 14 in Middle school with the homies, but I can honestly say Im not an addict. I to could go cold turkey whenever I want, and I have too many times. I dont get how you really become a weed addict. 

 

 An estimated 10% of US populace are classified as sugar addicts most probably don't believe sugar is addictive but there is a reason why it is a primary ingredient in alot of our food. I'm sure most wouldnt believe it if u told them that sugar is physically addictive.

Weed addiction exists in both physical and psychological forms but research shows psychological addiction is what's prevalent not the physical.

Edited by dashoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time will tell but I honestly don't think Gordon will ever play again.  And I thought his circumstance of putting himself in rehab right before his reinstatement was totally bizarre.  Perhaps someone can shed some light but it's like he failed another test and it wasn't released. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

I dont get addicts. Especially marijuana addicts. I've been smoking ever since I was 14 in Middle school with the homies, but I can honestly say Im not an addict. I to could go cold turkey whenever I want, and I have too many times. I dont get how you really become a weed addict. 

 

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

 An estimated 10% of US populace are classified as sugar addicts most probably don't believe sugar is addictive but there is a reason why it is a primary ingredient in alot of our food. I'm sure most wouldnt believe it if u told them that sugar is physically addictive.

Weed addiction exists in both physical and psychological forms but research shows psychological addiction is what's prevalent not the physical.

 

I wish I could post it in here, but Google "Half Baked Bob Saget." His quote from that movie is the most accurate and funny description of "weed addicts."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mikeflavaz said:

Time will tell but I honestly don't think Gordon will ever play again.  And I thought his circumstance of putting himself in rehab right before his reinstatement was totally bizarre.  Perhaps someone can shed some light but it's like he failed another test and it wasn't released. 

 

 

We have to wait for the 30 for 30 epsiode. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking as a former dynasty owner who spent a late first rounder on him as a rookie, he's dead to me. And even if he comes back, the Josh Gordon we loved on the field probably doesn't exist anymore. It's doubtful he'd be the same player. He hasn't played organized ball in 2 years, soon to be 3 years, is apparently out of money and doesn't seem to be taking sobriety seriously. Just sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cousinal111 said:

I'm in recovery myself & I didn't get better until I really wanted it. My problem is and was alcohol. 

 

For a guy to throw away millions to smoke pot is laughable to me. I know, it's legal in 25% of the country but not in the NFL.

 

Is marijuana the only substance he's struggling with?

That's the multi million dollar question.  Reportedly they found a variety of recreational substances at Manziel's house one morning.  Gordon was his buddy so it leads me to believe the problem is more a matter of maturity and JG's inability to separate himself from the lifestyle of partying.  Mary Jane is probably just part of the overall package. 

 

Too bad, but if it wasn't pot it probably would have been something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

 

 

I wish I could post it in here, but Google "Half Baked Bob Saget." His quote from that movie is the most accurate and funny description of "weed addicts."

Another good one is to google "norm macdonald best disease". Hilarious stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damnedest(sp?) thing about this situation with Gordon and some of the other knuckleheads out there like Randy Gregory is that it's very easy to beat the NFL drug checks for "substance abuse" (non-PED) once you get to a clean slate. If you are not in the substance abuse program, the NFL only tests once a year for recreation drugs beginning on.....April 20th. Yes, 4/20. The testing period lasts through OTAs. If you get tested and test clean you don't get tested again for one year.

 

I believe that even if you enter phase one, you can easily get out of it after you get through a random testing period of 6 months? Something like that. Plus you don't get suspended until after your 3rd offense for pot.

 

I think Gordon's offenses may have happened before the new policy guidelines took effect so just bad timing for him, but you would think that with all this money on the line he could abstain from the drugs. I guess that's part of the whole addiction thing though right? His life must completely out of control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IT8 said:

 

Addiction is a copout concept in the case of most substances, especially cannabis.  

 

There's so much wrong with this statement I don't even know where to start.  It's clear you know NOTHING about the world of addiction.  You're 100% incorrect.  

 

When I'm not working or studying sports the rest of my time is devoted to helping people in recovery from alcohol, weed and every other drug.  Get in the trenches - your perspective will change. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

I dont get addicts. Especially marijuana addicts. I've been smoking ever since I was 14 in Middle school with the homies, but I can honestly say Im not an addict. I to could go cold turkey whenever I want, and I have too many times. I dont get how you really become a weed addict. 

 

Consider yourself lucky you're not an addict then.  A heavy user can stop when they absolutely have to,  an addict can't without serious work and help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dashoe said:

 

 An estimated 10% of US populace are classified as sugar addicts most probably don't believe sugar is addictive but there is a reason why it is a primary ingredient in alot of our food. I'm sure most wouldnt believe it if u told them that sugar is physically addictive.

 

This is 100% true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cousinal111 said:

I'm in recovery myself & I didn't get better until I really wanted it. My problem is and was alcohol. 

 

For a guy to throw away millions to smoke pot is laughable to me. I know, it's legal in 25% of the country but not in the NFL.

 

Is marijuana the only substance he's struggling with?

 

It's the one he usually gets busted for.  But he's also had a dui which I believe was related to codeine.  Also, one of his failed NFL tests was for alcohol as it was banned under the terms of his reinstatement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is marijuana "ruining his life" in any way, other than his job in the NFL?  If you want to consider that "ruined."  What else in Josh Gordon's life is so out of control because of marijuana?  

 

The concept of addiction is used as a weapon towards athletes.  Read Josh Gordon's letter.  It paints a far more nuanced and realistic picture of what is going on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.