Kirk Cousins 2017 Outlook

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

Not sure I can trust him in Seattle, probably going to start Cutler over him.  After what Watson did last week, Seattle D might be motivated.

Today's practice will tell more but here is where it stands as of yesterday......

After having a couple of days to recuperate and rehab, the Redskins (stop me if you'd heard this before) are still very hampered by injuries, especially on the offensive line.

Four of the Redskins’ five starters on the line were dressed in warmups and watching practice.

LT Trent Williams (knee), RG Brandon Scherff (knee), C Spencer Long (knees), and LG Shawn Lauvao (stinger) all were out leaving only RT Morgan Moses on the field. In addition, Ty Nsekhe, their top reserve at tackle, also was out of practice, still rehabbing a core muscle injury he suffered in Week 3.

None of the four starters has been ruled out of the game in Seattle on Sunday although the chances are that Williams and Long both could sit out.

The big change here is the upgrade of Scherff from out to limited. Although he didn’t do anything beyond individual drills (and he didn’t do much then), the fact that he was able to get out there and move is a good sign for Sunday. That doesn’t mean he’s definitely in but it’s a step in the right direction.  

C Chase Roullier—This is a heck of a spot for a rookie sixth-round pick. But he is the backup center and with the starter likely to be out, it will be up to Roullier to get the protections communicated up and down the line in one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. Roullier is likely to get some help from Cousins and the moment will not be too big for him. Still, it’s a tall order.

I wouldnt start Cousins this week based on what Watson did against Seattle last week .. Cousins does not have the mobility of Watson and doesn't have the weapons the Texans have .. Seattle defense will eat in this matchup imo .. I dont see how the skins win this game .. that Seahawks moneyline looks golden to me might have to throw some coin on that

2 hours ago, bobbym said:

I wouldnt start Cousins this week based on what Watson did against Seattle last week .. Cousins does not have the mobility of Watson and doesn't have the weapons the Texans have .. Seattle defense will eat in this matchup imo .. I dont see how the skins win this game .. that Seahawks moneyline looks golden to me might have to throw some coin on that

Thomas is out.  Seattle is a very different team without him.  Cam is iffy too.  There is some shoot out potential here.    

6 minutes ago, JediMasters said:

He does not take shots down field.  Read today that Jay Gruden criticised Cousins because of that.  Maybe it changes this week.

Josh Doctson vs Cowboys

Dude was open all day.  Apparently the problem is Kirk Cousins.

Lol @ cherry picking a few plays from one game. 

It was a damn monsoon with 25 mph+ winds. Nobody was throwing the ball that game. Dak only three for 143 yards, is there a problem with him too?

I’m a lifelong diehard SKINS fan, and there is nothing more I want than for Doctson to finally break through and live up to his potential. But I assure you, the problem is NOT Kirk Cousins. 

EDIT: Like that “downfield shot” Cousins threw to Doctson right on the money to win the game vs KC...that Doctson dropped?

Edited by UVA_Drew
12 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

It was a damn monsoon with 25 mph+ winds. Nobody was throwing the ball that game. Dak only three for 143 yards, is there a problem with him too?

I’m a lifelong diehard SKINS fan, and there is nothing more I want than for Doctson to finally break through and live up to his potential. But I assure you, the problem is NOT Kirk Cousins. 

EDIT: Like that “downfield shot” Cousins threw to Doctson right on the money to win the game vs KC...that Doctson dropped?

Yes it is.  Cousins is KNOWN to be captain checkdown this year.  Are you kidding me?  You don't have to be a Skins fan to know this.  Anyway from the coach's words today.  And apparently Gruden agrees with me.  A non Skins fan.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/so-what-exactly-jay-gruden-saying-about-kirk-cousins

"I think there is going to be a point in time where he is going to have to give some receivers some chances that maybe look a little covered, but give them a chance to uncover or give them a chance to make a play," the coach said. "That’s probably the one area that we can force the issue on a little bit to give these receivers chances down the field."

45 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

Kirk Cousins                                                       161-237

Play distance                                                     CMP-ATT

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage    48-53

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds                                    82-120

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds                                  24-44

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                  2-11

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                  2-5

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                     1-2

Trevor Siemian                                                   152-247

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage    26-30

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds                                    93-136

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds                                  28-60

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                  4-13

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                  1-5

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                     0-3

Tyrod Taylor                                                      154-236

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage    36-40

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds                                    63-100

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds                                  17-29

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                  6-16

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                  3-9

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                     0-2

Alex Smith                                                          179-259

Pass Thrown Behind Line of Scrimmage    58-64

Pass Thrown 1-10 yds                                    80-119

Pass Thrown 11-20 yds                                  27-49

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                  9-15

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                  3-7

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                     2-5

When Siemian is throwing it more often past 20 yards, then there is a problem.  Now, I don't watch Cousins that much, I've seen him twice this year. Both times he refused to go deep, even when down.  If you look at Cousins numbers last year, throwing past 20 yards, there is a difference.

Last year

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                  19-43   (2.68 times per game)

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                  6-11     (.68 times per game)

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                     5-14      (.88 times per game)

If we view all of these as "deep" balls, he averaged 4.25 per game last year.

This year

Pass Thrown 21-30 yds                                  2-11    (1.57 times per game)

Pass Thrown 31-40 yds                                  2-5      (.71 times per game)

Pass Thrown 41+ yds                                     1-2      (.28 times per game)

We view all of these as "deep" balls, he is averaging 2.57 per game this year.

Edited by Sternes
3 hours ago, Bowman said:

I just traded for Cousins after losing Watson, but I'm also leaning towards sitting him this week for Goff @ NYG. Hoping he'll be fine ROS after that.

Man I'm in the exact same boat Watson/Cousins/Goff

What did you gave up for Cous ? For me it was Tate.

@Sternes

Good stuff. I will back that up with the free fall in which Cousins' average complete air yards has dropped from last year. Anyone saying Cousins is fine is just wrong. Either something wrong with Cousins, or this offense misses McVay more than anyone could imagine coming into this season. Plus Gruden's poor play calling doesn't help things out at all. 

In 2016 he was #10 in the NFL

HXIC8Fa.png

And now in 2017 he has free fallen down to #31. Something ain't right. Especially when Hogan + Hoyer + Smith + Brissett + Siemian + Keenum + Kizer are throwing it further than Cousins on passing plays. 

oFycUqI.png

Seattle has injuries in the secondary. If given enough time, Cousins might be able to have productive fantasy day. No Reed, O line injuries, big concern. Seattle should put up points, so maybe even some “garbage time” scores.

1 hour ago, mjb said:

Seattle has injuries in the secondary. If given enough time, Cousins might be able to have productive fantasy day. No Reed, O line injuries, big concern. Seattle should put up points, so maybe even some “garbage time” scores.

The problem with the O-line injuries is that Seattle still has pretty good pass rushers to take advantage of that. They were able to get Watson 5 times last week.

3 hours ago, Chente said:

Man I'm in the exact same boat Watson/Cousins/Goff

What did you gave up for Cous ? For me it was Tate.

I gave up Hyde in standard. I still have Freeman, Ingram, Collins,Lynch, Gore and Darkwa. So I figured I could cover 2 RBs and a flex with that. 

Zero QB options in the wire. It was pretty much Goff and Dalton. 

Edited by Bowman
4 minutes ago, Bowman said:

I gave up Hyde in standard. I still have Freeman, Ingram, Collins,Lynch, Gore and Darkwa. So I figured I could cover 2 RBs and a flex with that. 

Zero QB options in the wire. It was pretty much Goff and Dalton. 

would have went with Goff. 

@Sternes and @burninglegs make some great statistical points and thanks for the thorough research fellas.

I just want to point out that Cousins sat at #8 in PPG (28.1) last year through eight weeks in my league with 6 point passing TDs. This season he currently sits at #7 in PPG (27.9) through eight weeks. These numbers, trends, and rankings are similar in standard scoring (4 point passing TD) leagues when ranking only QBs. He ultimately finished #5 in scoring (32.9 ppg) last year in my league because he got super hot from Weeks 8-12.

So while its true Cousins has not been hitting or even throwing the deep ball much in 2017, he's still producing the same type of fantasy and real-life numbers. He's just doing it in different ways in 2017; relying on his tights ends and running backs more versus launching it to Jackson and Crowder like last season. He's basically adjusted to the personnel he has and apparently the different offensive game plans without McVay.

The offensive line issues this season are a huge concern and may prevent Cousins from having a scorching second half of the season like he did in 2016. If Doctson keeps improving and Pryor can develop a pulse, it will also help Cousins down the stretch. But based on the numbers that count in fantasy football (points per game), Cousins is putting up the same numbers in 2017 as he did in 2016 through eight weeks. It just looks a little different on the field.

Edited by KareemX

I'm not surprised with those stats. Cousins clearly misses Jackson and Garcon a lot. The 'Skins thought Pryor and Crowder would step up, but it's been a disaster. Reed is obviously injured, and that's left Thompson and a bunch of replacement-level receivers. Plus coaching has been a bit off and they literally do not have a early-down tailback worth a damn. Oh and like the entire o-line is injured.

Has anyone traded away or trade for Cousins recently? If so, what did you guys get for him? He has been a good fantasy Qb this year, and with so many injuries this year, and little steals with exception of Watson... he has to be worth something

Trying to figure out his value as he’s been sitting on my bench behind Wentz, and am hoping to try and shore up some pieces as playoffs come