Jump to content
Rotoworld.com Forums

Kirk Cousins 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

With Jackson in TB, how concerned are we regarding Cousins' deep ball numbers? 

 

 

Not concerned at all. Numbers are numbers. Whether it comes from deep ball or not. Unless your league gets some kind of special bonus from long plays?

 

Look at his pass catchers...

 

Terrell Pryor is a beast. Josh Doctson should be a go.Crowder was very studly with DJax and Garcon there last year.. He has a top 3 TE in Jordan Reed.

 

Cousins should crush his TD total from last year if that group of pass catchers stays healthy all year.

 

I think Cousins knows this and it is part of the reason he held out from signing a long term deal cause he is betting his numbers will explode this year. Big pay day coming for him if everyone stays healthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knock against cousins is he hasnt won a playoff game and he cant beat u with his arm he needs talented playmakers around him meaning he doesny make his skills players better.  I think his ADP is too high vs where I can draft dak,, Rivers,stafford and even wentz who had had a massive upgrade in pass catchers

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Redskins could have a difficult 2017 and a nightmareish 2018.  I don't think it helps anyone when your QB would leave your organization if he could get out his contact and you publicly call him out on it.

 

In a public statement, the Redskins placed the blame squarely on franchise player Kirk Cousins' camp for the sides' inability to reach a long-term agreement by Monday's 4pm ET deadline.

The statement, which can be read at the below link, provides actual contract numbers offered by the team, a rare sight in today's NFL. We actually can't say we've ever seen it before in a publicly-issued statement like this. "Kirk has made it clear he prefers to play on a year-to-year basis," the statement reads, and claims Cousins' agent did not make a single contract offer during the negotiating process. The sides appear to be heading for a 2018 divorce.
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Elwood333 said:

I think the Redskins could have a difficult 2017 and a nightmareish 2018.  I don't think it helps anyone when your QB would leave your organization if he could get out his contact and you publicly call him out on it.

 

In a public statement, the Redskins placed the blame squarely on franchise player Kirk Cousins' camp for the sides' inability to reach a long-term agreement by Monday's 4pm ET deadline.

The statement, which can be read at the below link, provides actual contract numbers offered by the team, a rare sight in today's NFL. We actually can't say we've ever seen it before in a publicly-issued statement like this. "Kirk has made it clear he prefers to play on a year-to-year basis," the statement reads, and claims Cousins' agent did not make a single contract offer during the negotiating process. The sides appear to be heading for a 2018 divorce.

 

Why would Cousins make an offer when it's clear WAS doesn't respect his free market value and wants to lowball him at every opportunity? They had their chance to treat him with respect. Next summer, they'll have to compete with at minimum SF, Rams, CLE for his services.

 

QBs that throw for 9000+ yards over 2 seasons while turning an organization from losers to a division title and its first consecutive winning seasons in 20 years don't grow on trees. 

 

Bruce Allen thought he could lowball and outsmart Cousins. He could not have been more wrong. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

 

Why would Cousins make an offer when it's clear WAS doesn't respect his free market value and wants to lowball him at every opportunity? They had their chance to treat him with respect. Next summer, they'll have to compete with at minimum SF, Rams, CLE for his services.

 

QBs that throw for 9000+ yards over 2 seasons while turning an organization from losers to a division title and its first consecutive winning seasons in 20 years don't grow on trees. 

 

Bruce Allen thought he could lowball and outsmart Cousins. He could not have been more wrong. 

 

 

There is 0 chance he returns to the Redskins. They aren't sold on him as the guy and now they're going to pay for that because there is 0 chance they will be lining up as good a QB next year. The smart play would be for them to trade him now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ravensdan said:

 

There is 0 chance he returns to the Redskins. They aren't sold on him as the guy and now they're going to pay for that because there is 0 chance they will be lining up as good a QB next year. The smart play would be for them to trade him now. 

 

I think it all depends how the season goes. If the skins can put together a 10+ win season there is a good chance he will sign a LTD with them. The skins will have plenty of money to pay him big money and likely could match any teams offer. 

I don't think he runs off to SF like some think. SF has been a dumpster fire. That is also a tough division that no QB would be thrilled about playing in.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

Why would Cousins make an offer when it's clear WAS doesn't respect his free market value and wants to lowball him at every opportunity? They had their chance to treat him with respect. Next summer, they'll have to compete with at minimum SF, Rams, CLE for his services.

 

QBs that throw for 9000+ yards over 2 seasons while turning an organization from losers to a division title and its first consecutive winning seasons in 20 years don't grow on trees. 

 

Bruce Allen thought he could lowball and outsmart Cousins. He could not have been more wrong. 

 

 

 

It's not respect, it's football economics and  2 sides unable to negotiate what each think is fair value. mgmt didnt think he was the future of their franchise, so they stall and try to mitigate the risk of him imploding with a deal to limit the long term guaranteed money vs his expected mkt value; Kirk made 24mm last season and another 24mm in guaranteed money this season so thats  pretty much hitting the mark, the issue is the the long term deal so he waits another season he makes  his +100m with a  long term contract and gets about 50mm guaranteed at signing.  

Don't cry for Kirk his pockets are not hurting dude will basically make 100mm in guaranteed money  from 2016 to his next  contract in 2018; name another QB taking down that much guaranteed money in a 3yr span.

Respect has nothing to do with this both sides are attempting to extract max financial value. mgmt wants a team friendly deal that gives them flexibility to opt out and kirk wants security locked in.  Looks like the skins are the ones who made the wrong bet and kirk won.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kirk Cousin looked at that contract offer and said.....

 

Related image

 

and another one

 

Image result for middle finger animated gif

 

I see Washington trying to throw him under the bus like it was all on Cousins why the contract didn't get signed. Washington will suck for the next 10 years after Cousins leaves next season. Watch.

 

Edited by TX Babe Ruth
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Kirk Cousin looked at that contract offer and said.....

 

 

I see Washington trying to throw him under the bus like it was all on Cousins why the contract didn't get signed. Washington will suck for the next 10 years after Cousins leaves next season. Watch.

 

 

 

Skins are going to have to put on their big boy pants, eat humble pie and basically give him a max deal next season and after that deal Kirk is going to have to be willing to do small restructures to help the teams salary cap problems so they can bring in top talent to help him win a ring. He will be in the drivers seat unless they decide he really isnt their QB for the future and don't deal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

 

It's not respect, it's football economics and  2 sides unable to negotiate what each think is fair value. mgmt didnt think he was the future of their franchise, so they stall and try to mitigate the risk of him imploding with a deal to limit the long term guaranteed money vs his expected mkt value; Kirk made 24mm last season and another 24mm in guaranteed money this season so thats  pretty much hitting the mark, the issue is the the long term deal so he waits another season he makes  his +100m with a  long term contract and gets about 50mm guaranteed at signing.  

Don't cry for Kirk his pockets are not hurting dude will basically make 100mm in guaranteed money  from 2016 to his next  contract in 2018; name another QB taking down that much guaranteed money in a 3yr span.

Respect has nothing to do with this both sides are attempting to extract max financial value. mgmt wants a team friendly deal that gives them flexibility to opt out and kirk wants security locked in.  Looks like the skins are the ones who made the wrong bet and kirk won.

 

It is respect. WAS wrongly believed he wasn't worth top-15 QB money after he led them to a division title. They gambled, lost, and now are trying to save face by throwing him under the PR bus. 

 

This is why you take the risk to overpay a young QB coming off a good season, especially if you don't have a comparable alternative on the roster. SD (another dysfunctional franchise) did the same thing with Brees by franchising him after 2004 and letting him walk after 2005. They had Rivers as a backup (a 1st rd pick they could have spent on Larry Fitzgerald btw if they had committed to Brees from the beginning), and as good as Rivers has been, he's never been as good as Brees. 

 

WAS doesn't have anyone remotely as good as Rivers to take over for Cousins. This is why they should have taken the chance on him to put him on a team friendly deal when they had all the leverage. They (Bruce Allen) didn't and we now see the results. Actions have consequences. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

It is respect. WAS wrongly believed he wasn't worth top-15 QB money after he led them to a division title. They gambled, lost, and now are trying to save face by throwing him under the PR bus. 

 

This is why you take the risk to overpay a young QB coming off a good season, especially if you don't have a comparable alternative on the roster. SD (another dysfunctional franchise) did the same thing with Brees by franchising him after 2004 and letting him walk after 2005. They had Rivers as a backup (a 1st rd pick they could have spent on Larry Fitzgerald btw if they had committed to Brees from the beginning), and as good as Rivers has been, he's never been as good as Brees. 

 

WAS doesn't have anyone remotely as good as Rivers to take over for Cousins. This is why they should have taken the chance on him to put him on a team friendly deal when they had all the leverage. They (Bruce Allen) didn't and we now see the results. Actions have consequences. 

 

 

 

yeah  respect never comes up in any comp agreements i am involved with. usually it's all based on perception of market value vs production  and a pool of competitors as your benchmark. Compensation is about ROI not respect.  Now you can argue wash  completely missed the on their valuation of cousins, which in turn distorts the contract negotiations. You can even argue they underestimated how much of a haircut cousins wanted to take to stay in wash or what other teams will pay him. You can even argue they entered negotiations in poor faith knowing they were lowballing the guy to push him into a less than lucrative deal. Either way it still comes down to mkt value not some arbitrary concept of respect.  For every Brees u can name  multiple bad QB deals where the teams take a hit so the risk occurs on both sides of the negotiating table.  Where wash mgmt seems to fail in my view is not  being wrong with contract risk but the way they communicate the negotiations to the media. I really dont see the need for them to fuel the media circus.  The Steelers have a history of letting talented players go but the never says much to the press to create a soap opera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I believe the Redskins took a reasonable gamble and lost storyline although that's possible where as all I've heard from one of the most meddlesome owners in the NFL and his team president is very unprofessional sour-grapes leaks like 1) our former GM was an alcoholic and 2) it's all the QB's fault ... but we like him and want him to stay.  When you leak stuff like that and constantly attack people, I'm not inclined to trust your judgement. A dumpster fire record for 20 years doesn't help with 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I believe the Redskins took a reasonable gamble and lost storyline although that's possible where as all I've heard from one of the most meddlesome owners in the NFL and his team president is very unprofessional sour-grapes leaks like 1) our former GM was an alcoholic and 2) it's all the QB's fault ... but we like him and want him to stay.  When you leak stuff like that and constantly attack people, I'm not inclined to trust your judgement. A dumpster fire record for 20 years doesn't help with 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dashoe said:

 

 

yeah  respect never comes up in any comp agreements i am involved with. usually it's all based on perception of market value vs production  and a pool of competitors as your benchmark. Compensation is about ROI not respect.  Now you can argue wash  completely missed the on their valuation of cousins, which in turn distorts the contract negotiations. You can even argue they underestimated how much of a haircut cousins wanted to take to stay in wash or what other teams will pay him. You can even argue they entered negotiations in poor faith knowing they were lowballing the guy to push him into a less than lucrative deal. Either way it still comes down to mkt value not some arbitrary concept of respect.  For every Brees u can name  multiple bad QB deals where the teams take a hit so the risk occurs on both sides of the negotiating table.  Where wash mgmt seems to fail in my view is not  being wrong with contract risk but the way they communicate the negotiations to the media. I really dont see the need for them to fuel the media circus.  The Steelers have a history of letting talented players go but the never says much to the press to create a soap opera.

 

Negotiations about money are usually also about respect.

 

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" - Matthew 12:34. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

 

Negotiations about money are usually also about respect.

 

"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" - Matthew 12:34. 

 

 

 

 

uhmmmm , , yeah, , ,u kinda lost me there. 

 

"Show me the money!" - Jerry Maguire

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, joshua18 said:

 

Why would Cousins make an offer when it's clear WAS doesn't respect his free market value and wants to lowball him at every opportunity? They had their chance to treat him with respect. Next summer, they'll have to compete with at minimum SF, Rams, CLE for his services.

 

QBs that throw for 9000+ yards over 2 seasons while turning an organization from losers to a division title and its first consecutive winning seasons in 20 years don't grow on trees. 

 

Bruce Allen thought he could lowball and outsmart Cousins. He could not have been more wrong. 

 

Cousins is butt ******** Bruce Allen in front of the world and Allen can't do nothin about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I love that Cousins is basically playing with a chip on his shoulder, essentially needing to prove himself (yet again); it's all him, and he's got the talent and the weapons to succeed. 

 

I'm not so sure about my dynasty investments in Washington... the time to SELL is before Cousins leaves (though how the front office could let him go is beyond me at present). Redraft, how could you not love Pryor, Crowder, Reed...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

Cousins is butt ******** Bruce Allen in front of the world and Allen can't do nothin about it.

 

Correct. Allen could have not publicly tried to push this off on Cousins but he did. Ex-GM gets trashed on the way out. What a terribly poor way of handling things. They(front office/owner) continue to make themselves look asses every chance they get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Redskins Defense should be much better this year, YUGE upgrade on the Dline, pairing Kerrigan with Jonathan Allen and ryan anderson. Should get excellent pressure and uprade the rush defense.

 

Should give kirk more short fielda to work with this increasing RZ opportunities and chance for more TDs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my book Cousins is becoming somewhat of a folk hero.  From the 'YOU LIKED THAT" to the way he seems to be saying everything perfectly in this situation I find him an extremely likable QB.  He could easily bash the Redskins just like they have done to him.  Instead he is taking the high road but still allowing us all to read between the lines.  Masterfully.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Cant wait for the Colt McCoy 2018 Season Outlook thread when Kirk goes to SF.

 

Yes, I'm sure Kirk is just dying to get to SF. With San Fran's winning track record, a division full of soft defenses and California's extremely low income tax rate, I mean it just makes total sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...