octapuss

Mookie Betts 2017 Outlook

19 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Good thing I'm not here to be accommodating. Just stating my opinion, shnooks ?

It's a down year from being the top player in fantasy. It doesn't mean I'm disappointed, I'm realistic. If you expect exact value on every pick, you will be disappointed a lot. 

How is him having a down year not disappointing? It's realistic to expect a down year from the 2nd pick in the draft? This is what I'm talking about when I say you guys are apologists. You can't admit that the guy you picked is not performing the way we all hoped and expected. 

8 minutes ago, Heisenberg90 said:

How is him having a down year not disappointing? It's realistic to expect a down year from the 2nd pick in the draft? This is what I'm talking about when I say you guys are apologists. You can't admit that the guy you picked is not performing the way we all hoped and expected. 

It wasn't realistic to expect 30+ HR from Mookie this year. If you did, I understand the disappointment. I realistically expected a 25/25 season with possible upside from there.

The AVG is disappointing but what can you do? He's hitting .270 instead of .300+

But I can't honestly "admit" that 25/25 with 200 R/RBI is disappointing. Assuming he reaches those marks. 

He was the TOP player last year. Ahead of Trout. There was only one direction he could go this year. 

Edited by DannyMcPot

1 hour ago, Heisenberg90 said:

How is him having a down year not disappointing? 

Because it's first-world problems.

"Oh woe is me, my first round pick is only going 25/25 this year. He's only ranked 19th on the player rater, completely responsible for blowing my fantasy baseball season." 

That's literally what it sounds like. 

20 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

"Oh woe is me, my first round pick is only going 25/25 this year. He's only ranked 19th on the player rater, completely responsible for blowing my fantasy baseball season." 

Let's be honest here, if you're into Fantasy Baseball enough to post on a forum, then the disappointing performances of your players is a real problem in your life. I know it is in mine. 

It just so happens that I need power in my lineup. Thankfully his name still carries some weight, but I'm definitely going to be throwing out some trades cause dis ugly

Just now, jseay65 said:

Yeah basically what happened to Harper last year. Had a down year with solid counting stats. 

Been biting my tongue on this guy all year long. But have to admit, in H2H he's been, well, underwhelming to say the least. In roto I suppose his overall stats will be there. But man has he been a disappointment in H2H.

6 hours ago, jseay65 said:

lucky for us we live in the first world

5 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Since July 1st

237/314/372

For the season his OPS is .793, last year it was .897

those numbers since July are pretty close to putrid.

To be honest - won't he have to get a little hot to exceed 100 rbis at this point?

Edited by JetsAwesome

Hey mods, would it be possible to just rename this the Vent and Rant Thread #2

Find it amazing that on July 1st there was already 30 pages of b*tching and moaning about this guy ruining everyone's fantasy teams even tho he was .280/.356/.490 with 13 HRs and 12 SBs at the time.

There's a month left in the season boys- man up and get it done

Curious why those of you are disappointed haven't sold your position? His name still has a ton of value, particularly if you don't own him. The stat line isn't as concerning for someone that didn't draft him high.

It seems to be better approach than just complaining.

1 minute ago, warningtrackpower said:

Curious why those of you are disappointed haven't sold your position? His name still has a ton of value, particularly if you don't own him. The stat line isn't as concerning for someone that didn't draft him high.

It seems to be better approach than just complaining.

While some may be complaining a lot of us are just discussing the season he's put together so far and how that compares to the expectations coming in. Just because you don't paint a rosy picture of every player's season, regardless of performance, doesn't mean it's "complaining." I've always thought the idea of these threads was to have nuanced discourse about a player, not simply cheer the players on. 

I've actually always been far more bothered by people who try to rationalize poor performance than people who "complain" as you say. But to each their own. People use this forum for different reasons, and its been that way for a long time. 

I'm all for reasoned arguments for why a player is failing to meet expectations. That hasn't been the case in this thread. It's been more snarky comments.

My take is that draft value is irrelevant once the season starts. Let's discuss performance to date and ROS prospects.

He is so good. The only thing that would make tonites monster line even better is some snarky DB telling us how we need to draft better

Mookie sucks

Draft better doctor whom!!!!

Everyone knew Zach Cosart and Justin Smoak were tremendous value picks to carry Team Mookster owners

32 minutes ago, malta69 said:

Draft better doctor whom!!!!

Everyone knew Zach Cosart and Justin Smoak were tremendous value picks to carry Team Mookster owners

Mookie is dead to me as a first round pick or second round pick. I know he is capable of long stretches of putrid. If you own Mookie in a redraft, you are losing and will lose your league unless you bench him

Player A: 482 at bats - 79/18/76/17 .268 avg .792 ops

Player B: 418 at bats - 75/25/88/10 .285 avg .914 ops

Player B is Justin Upton <----- highlight for spooky reveal

Sure you can blame the Sox lineup for being underwhelming without Big Papi but that .268 avg is bad for a 1st rounder.

We lost.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Player A: 482 at bats - 79/18/76/17 .268 avg .792 ops

Player B: 418 at bats - 75/25/88/10 .285 avg .914 ops

Player B is Justin Upton <----- highlight for spooky reveal

Sure you can blame the Sox lineup for being underwhelming without Big Papi but that .268 avg is bad for a 1st rounder.

We lost.

Machado - .266

Donaldson - .265

Rizzo - .271 

Cabrera - .256

Mookie = 35 HR+SB.  Bryant =30, Arenado = 30, Machado = 32, Harper = 31, Donaldson = 21, Cabrera = 13, Seager = 22, Correa = 20

Did you really lose because you drafted Mookie?

On 8/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, Dr. Whom said:

Mookie is dead to me as a first round pick or second round pick. I know he is capable of long stretches of putrid. If you own Mookie in a redraft, you are losing and will lose your league unless you bench him

Drop Mookie, screenshot it and post it if he's really costing you that much.  Don't forget to post your league standings either.

There are some interesting deviations from last season. His BB% is up and his K% is down, which is what you want to see. His BABIP, however, is 52 points below what it was last season. That's a pretty significant drop. His wRC+ was 135 last season and currently sits at 103. His soft% and hard% haven't changed much. His GB% and FB% also haven't changed much. He's pulling the ball about 5% more. The BABIP is what stands out the most to me.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

1 hour ago, desert86 said:

Machado - .266

Donaldson - .265

Rizzo - .271 

Cabrera - .256

Mookie = 35 HR+SB.  Bryant =30, Arenado = 30, Machado = 32, Harper = 31, Donaldson = 21, Cabrera = 13, Seager = 22, Correa = 20

Did you really lose because you drafted Mookie?

You realize just adding up a player's HR+SB isn't a good way to gauge the overall value they produced, right? Hope so. 

And yes, there are disappointing players every year. People generally concern themselves with the one who's on their team, not measuring him against every other disappointing player in the league then deciding whether they are warranted in their disappointment. 

Edited by absknicks

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

There are some interesting deviations from last season. His BB% is up and his K% is down, which is what you want to see. His BABIP, however, is 52 points below what it was last season. That's a pretty significant drop. His wRC+ was 135 last season and currently sits at 103. His soft% and hard% haven't changed much. His GB% and FB% also haven't changed much. He's pulling the ball about 5% more. The BABIP is what stands out the most to me.

Tons of soft popups. PoorlyHit% on xStats.org is up 4% from last year. Average exit velocity is down 1.5 MPH from last year. Two biggest factors that explain the low BABIP to me.