Fuzzy_Slippers

Mike Trout 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

did anyone put any credence into the talk that he could be traded to a team like the yankees or someone with a top 5 farm system who could give up like 5 prospects?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jfazz23 said:

did anyone put any credence into the talk that he could be traded to a team like the yankees or someone with a top 5 farm system who could give up like 5 prospects?

 

I mean I think as long as the Angels are struggling that's always going to be a theoretical discussion but with the team set-up the way it is now and Trout still having four years left. If we were one year away or even two years away from FA, maybe it's a discussion, but with 4 I don' tthink the Angels are going to budge on their decision to not trade Trout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won't trade Trout for prospects. They'll only move him if they can get someone to take a somewhat paid down Pujols as well and they'll want significant proven major league talent in return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

did anyone put any credence into the talk that he could be traded to a team like the yankees or someone with a top 5 farm system who could give up like 5 prospects?

As much as I would like to see him get closer to home I don't think this will even be considered for at least 2-3 yrs. He is under contract through 2020. I don't see any way the Angels could justify that to their fan base before 2019 at the earliest. When I watch Angels home games on TV so may of their fans are wearing Trout jerseys, fish heads, etc.  How do you trade him? I don't even care who you get back, I would not want to be the one that has to explain that to thousands of fans.

 

OTOH - I think there is almost no chance they will be able to resign him after this contract. He has already shown that money isn't his main priority when he took some criticism for signing his latest contract. He loves his home and is usually back here a couple of days after the season ends. His family is here and they aren't going anywhere any time soon. He will come back East when it's time. Until then, all of us here buy the MLB package so we can watch him play on the West Coast - for now. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crusaderfan said:

As much as I would like to see him get closer to home I don't think this will even be considered for at least 2-3 yrs. He is under contract through 2020. I don't see any way the Angels could justify that to their fan base before 2019 at the earliest. When I watch Angels home games on TV so may of their fans are wearing Trout jerseys, fish heads, etc.  How do you trade him? I don't even care who you get back, I would not want to be the one that has to explain that to thousands of fans.

 

OTOH - I think there is almost no chance they will be able to resign him after this contract. He has already shown that money isn't his main priority when he took some criticism for signing his latest contract. He loves his home and is usually back here a couple of days after the season ends. His family is here and they aren't going anywhere any time soon. He will come back East when it's time. Until then, all of us here buy the MLB package so we can watch him play on the West Coast - for now. ;)

hes a jersey kid who likes hunting right?

Edited by jfazz23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Crusaderfan said:

As much as I would like to see him get closer to home I don't think this will even be considered for at least 2-3 yrs. He is under contract through 2020. I don't see any way the Angels could justify that to their fan base before 2019 at the earliest. When I watch Angels home games on TV so may of their fans are wearing Trout jerseys, fish heads, etc.  How do you trade him? I don't even care who you get back, I would not want to be the one that has to explain that to thousands of fans.

 

OTOH - I think there is almost no chance they will be able to resign him after this contract. He has already shown that money isn't his main priority when he took some criticism for signing his latest contract. He loves his home and is usually back here a couple of days after the season ends. His family is here and they aren't going anywhere any time soon. He will come back East when it's time. Until then, all of us here buy the MLB package so we can watch him play on the West Coast - for now. ;)

 

So basically he's gonna be a Yankee when he's 30+ and fading out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cdub2k said:

 

So basically he's gonna be a Yankee when he's 30+ and fading out?

 

Or has a lot more good years. we're projecting way too far down the line but hitting Free Agency at 29 Years doesn't necessarily suggest he's going to be less than 95% of what he is now. It's baseball, not football. Plenty of elite players have long shelf lives if they can stay healthy. If he has four more years of good health (knock on wood, please just as a fan, etc.) then I don't think there will be any reason to doubt that he has at the LEAST 5-7 more good years at that point and even the late Mike Trout will probably be a positive earner. If he's a 17% Walker he's already got so much for granted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

hes a jersey kid who likes hunting right?

Yep hunting and fishing. Where we live there is plenty of both. Jersey shore 40 minutes away, Delaware Bay 15 minutes, He recently spent the day here hunting with Carson Wentz (Eagles). He comes home and he is still the same kid that left here 6 years ago, hangs out with the same people he hung out with in high school. He is the real deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

 

So basically he's gonna be a Yankee when he's 30+ and fading out?

If you saw the way he trains all winter when he is home, you would realize how silly that sounds to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fading Mike Trout would still be better than 99% of the players in the league. 

 

This guys all around game/youth/consistency make him a legitimate GOAT candidate. 

 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see the Yankees breaking the bank to go after Harper in two years. As for Trout, if any of the bevy of good prospects in the Phillies' system pan out and they show signs of contention before 2021, I can see Trout going to Philadelphia. They literally have no contracts on the books after this year besides renewals and arbitrations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

I could see the Yankees breaking the bank to go after Harper in two years. As for Trout, if any of the bevy of good prospects in the Phillies' system pan out and they show signs of contention before 2021, I can see Trout going to Philadelphia. They literally have no contracts on the books after this year besides renewals and arbitrations.

yanks going after harper depends on a few things in my opinion.  do the nats and harper get a deal done before hes a FA?  how do harper's next 2 seasons play out...like 2015 or 2016 or somewhere in between?  and how well the young yankees perform (sanchez,bird,judge,torres,frazzier,mateo).  if these guys pan out, they might considering harper unnecessary.

 

i think the new yankees are serious about not spending a ton more than everyone else.  and if they do spend money i think it will be on pitching.

 

trout is also from jersey as stated above, and for all you  know he may prefer new york to philly.  anyways, this is 4 years down the road...plenty of things can happen

 

just my opinion though...i dont think harper to the yankees is a done deal as some yankees fans do

Edited by jfazz23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Crusaderfan said:

If you saw the way he trains all winter when he is home, you would realize how silly that sounds to me.

 

I'm sure a lot of the stars the Yankees have signed to huge 7-10 year contracts trained very hard. Training hard isn't the issue. The issue is signing guys in their late 20s early 30s to 10 year 1/4 billion dollar contracts. 

 

Hence my comment. It's not a personal strike against Trout its just the reality of how the Yankees spend their money on guys in their late 20s early 30s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

 

I'm sure a lot of the stars the Yankees have signed to huge 7-10 year contracts trained very hard. Training hard isn't the issue. The issue is signing guys in their late 20s early 30s to 10 year 1/4 billion dollar contracts. 

 

Hence my comment. It's not a personal strike against Trout its just the reality of how the Yankees spend their money on guys in their late 20s early 30s.

 

Worked out with A-Rod. Even if you consider the end of the contract incredibly ugly, you can't deny that the front end returns more than justified that first mega deal especially. Even if you just look at the first four years he had two years of 9.1 and 9.6 WAR and I believe they won at least one WS in that time. They work out sometimes, they don't work out sometimes. I judge situations on a case by case basis. If Trout's 29 and is healthy and productive to 90+% of the level he's been the last five years I will fundamentally disagree with anyone who believes that he's about to start an incredible age related decline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, taobball said:

 

Worked out with A-Rod. Even if you consider the end of the contract incredibly ugly, you can't deny that the front end returns more than justified that first mega deal especially. Even if you just look at the first four years he had two years of 9.1 and 9.6 WAR and I believe they won at least one WS in that time. They work out sometimes, they don't work out sometimes. I judge situations on a case by case basis. If Trout's 29 and is healthy and productive to 90+% of the level he's been the last five years I will fundamentally disagree with anyone who believes that he's about to start an incredible age related decline. 

 

This is the problem.  People only remember the ugly back ends of these contracts.  You mention ARod's two 9.4 bWAR seasons.  He also put up a 7.6 & 6.8.  Heck, even his 4.5, 4.1, 4.1 & 3.9 win seasons aren't bad years.  It wasn't until, really, his last season where he became unstartable.

 

You sign 29 year old Mike Trout to a 10 year contract, yea the final couple years of that may be ugly, but if he gives you 3-4 seasons of 8+ wins, then another 3 of 5-6 wins, then you probably take it with a smile on your face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 89Topps said:

 

This is the problem.  People only remember the ugly back ends of these contracts.  You mention ARod's two 9.4 bWAR seasons.  He also put up a 7.6 & 6.8.  Heck, even his 4.5, 4.1, 4.1 & 3.9 win seasons aren't bad years.  It wasn't until, really, his last season where he became unstartable.

 

You sign 29 year old Mike Trout to a 10 year contract, yea the final couple years of that may be ugly, but if he gives you 3-4 seasons of 8+ wins, then another 3 of 5-6 wins, then you probably take it with a smile on your face.

 

Agreed. No one signs a 30+ year old to a 10 year contract and expects them to be worth 35 million at 42. You're paying for the front end and it can easily justify the back end. The Angels didn't expect Pujols to be worth 30 million five years from now but they were hoping he would be now, that contract didn't work out because of the first five not about how the next five are oging to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Adding 40sb should really help his ADP

Facetious?  Hard to improve an on an ADP of one is most of all the drafts I have done. Actually just once he wasn't the first pick.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Low and Away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rickey Henderson had a pretty amazing year 39 season. 

Barry Bonds was just a little amazing in his late 30s early 40s. 

David Ortiz, Dave WInfield, Willie Mays... 

 

Pujols can still hit the snot out of the ball, he just can't run, it looks painful. I bet Pujols will be able to hit 25 HRs when he's 45. As long as Pujols can turn on that back foot and jog to 1st he'll be a productive hitter. Not special, but at least above replacement value. 

The gods willing, Trout should still be pretty special when he's 37, 38, 39.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...