Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JenksDodger

Kyle Tucker, OF HOU

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

11th time this year they've scored 0 or 1 run.. 

"But, but, we're 6th in the league in runs scored".  Yeah, but you still suck, and that's some of the weakest Top 10 offensive stats I've seen in ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: earlier discussion about service time. Super-Two status is defined by active (25-man) MLB roster time.

 

Here is a link for last year that describes the cutoff for the most recent 3-year window (2.123): https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/projected-super-two-cutoff-6.html

 

To put this in layman’s terms... to qualify for Super-Two status in 2017, a player would need to have been called up before day 59 of the 2015 MLB season and have stayed on active roster for all of 2016 and 2017. 

 

As you you will see in the above linked thread, this was amongst the later cutoffs in recent years.... meaning that June 1 is a really safe date for teams to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random question: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/79762/520/top-10-prospects-may-7

 

Based on this list, why is Kyle tucker not even on the top 10? 

 

Is Nick Senzel really worth keeping in my N/A spot over Tucker? 

Just curious for remarks on this list of top 10 prospects this year as it relates to Tucker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Re: earlier discussion about service time. Super-Two status is defined by active (25-man) MLB roster time.

 

Here is a link for last year that describes the cutoff for the most recent 3-year window (2.123): https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/projected-super-two-cutoff-6.html

 

To put this in layman’s terms... to qualify for Super-Two status in 2017, a player would need to have been called up before day 59 of the 2015 MLB season and have stayed on active roster for all of 2016 and 2017. 

 

As you you will see in the above linked thread, this was amongst the later cutoffs in recent years.... meaning that June 1 is a really safe date for teams to use.

can you comment on the article above that made claims regarding 40-man and it's relation to super 2?

i hate to say the writer is wrong, i don't feel comfortable enough with my knowledge to do so, but i've never read/heard anything about the 40 man and super 2 and i feel like they may have misspoke. 

 

the quote of discussion:

Why not take a page out of last year’s Dodgers book? They brought up Cody Bellinger on April 25. That was possible because he wasn’t on the 40-man roster. You can bring him up and still get that fourth year of arbitration.  Kyle Tucker is in that same position. He’s not on the 40-man. You don’t have to wait until June to get that fourth year of arbitration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

Random question: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/79762/520/top-10-prospects-may-7

 

Based on this list, why is Kyle tucker not even on the top 10? 

 

Is Nick Senzel really worth keeping in my N/A spot over Tucker? 

Just curious for remarks on this list of top 10 prospects this year as it relates to Tucker.

 

I'm, curious about same thing. A kid that is 21, by all intents and purposes doing well in AAA, and nick nick named "ted" for Ted Williams, isn't on the top 10? 

 

Can a super smart baseball person explain this. Is Tucker worth holding over some of these other guys? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still believe he's coming and coming soon.  Super-2 (as referenced in the article above) is relative to the other players in your call-up class.  There's no hard and fast date because it's the top 22% of players having between 2 and 3 years of service time, whereas the extra year of team control is purely about days on the active roster.

 

Point being, theoretically you can get a player under the 22% threshold and avoid Super-2 if a bunch of guys were called up before him in his class (and thus would have more service time after year 2).  It's possible that's already happened with all the players pulled up already this year, including a number of pitchers which we don't see every year.

 

In general, teams feel safe waiting until June, but there's no guarantees.  They could all wait, and Super-2 would get pushed back later.  Or they could all race to call guys up, and Super-2 gets pushed earlier in the season.

 

I honestly don't think Houston is waiting for Super-2 with Tucker the way CHW is with Kopech or CIN likely is with Senzel.  Houston is trying to win now, and there's 2 gaping holes in the lineup any given night, and sometimes 3 when they're dumb enough to start Marisnick, Fisher, and Gattis in the same lineup.  Gattis is one that hasn't been frequently mentioned here, but he's been a trainwreck at DH.  I don't think they'd call up Tucker to DH, but I do think they'd call him up and put someone else at DH (Reddick, for example).

 

You don't want to be in Wild Card position in the AL with a 1-game winner-take-all scenario against the Yankees or Red Sox, which is likely the penalty for finishing second in this division.  I think we see Tucker shortly, as soon as he's "hot."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

can you comment on the article above that made claims regarding 40-man and it's relation to super 2?

i hate to say the writer is wrong, i don't feel comfortable enough with my knowledge to do so, but i've never read/heard anything about the 40 man and super 2 and i feel like they may have misspoke. 

 

the quote of discussion:

Why not take a page out of last year’s Dodgers book? They brought up Cody Bellinger on April 25. That was possible because he wasn’t on the 40-man roster. You can bring him up and still get that fourth year of arbitration.  Kyle Tucker is in that same position. He’s not on the 40-man. You don’t have to wait until June to get that fourth year of arbitration.

 

None of this make any sense. The 40 man really has nothing to do with Super 2 status or arbitration years. Also teams want to avoid that extra or fourth year of arbitration. So of course you don't have to wait til June to get it. Players called up now will likely get it. It's just that teams don't want it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

 

None of this make any sense. The 40 man really has nothing to do with Super 2 status or arbitration years. Also teams want to avoid that extra or fourth year of arbitration. So of course you don't have to wait til June to get it. Players called up now will likely get it. It's just that teams don't want it.

y'know, you're right. forest for the trees... 

i'm still not sure what point the author is trying to make, but i think he is confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the rush here, exactly? 

 

He's 21 years old. If I were the Astros, I wouldn't see much point in calling him up until he starts annihilating AAA pitching. He'll likely start doing that before too long, but let him do that first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

What's the rush here, exactly? 

 

He's 21 years old. If I were the Astros, I wouldn't see much point in calling him up until he starts annihilating AAA pitching. He'll likely start doing that before too long, but let him do that first.

 

The rush is he's on my fantasy team bro, how do you not see that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

What's the rush here, exactly? 

 

He's 21 years old. If I were the Astros, I wouldn't see much point in calling him up until he starts annihilating AAA pitching. He'll likely start doing that before too long, but let him do that first.

He annihilated spring training. He is not killing AAA but is holding his own. Looks to be a superior option to what they are currently running out there. Acuna didn't light up AAA either before the call up. Shameful when JV strikes out 14 in 8 scoreless innings and gets 0 run production. Plus he is on my fantasy so hurry up already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He probably is bored in AAA.  Otherwise he would be mashing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Fielder1831 said:

He annihilated spring training. He is not killing AAA but is holding his own. Looks to be a superior option to what they are currently running out there. Acuna didn't light up AAA either before the call up. Shameful when JV strikes out 14 in 8 scoreless innings and gets 0 run production. Plus he is on my fantasy so hurry up already!

 

I don't think Acuna is a fair comparison. Acuna had already torn AAA to shreds in 2017 and it was very obvious that the only reason he began the year there was because of service time. He already had nothing left to prove in the minors.

 

Tucker had a fantastic spring training, sure - but mastering AAA pitching is not something on his resume as of yet. And his .265/.325/.512 line in AA last season wasn't exactly otherworldly.

 

I'm not dismissing Tucker, I like him a lot. But I think people are putting too much stock in that great spring training he had. He still has some things to prove in the minors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont disagree he has something to prove in the minors still, but the Astros are trying to win their division.  If they view Tucker as a potential better option than Fisher/Marisnick, seems silly to even remotely jeopardize any games to save a few million dollars 6 years from now.  They already have the extra year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

 

I don't think Acuna is a fair comparison. Acuna had already torn AAA to shreds in 2017 and it was very obvious that the only reason he began the year there was because of service time. He already had nothing left to prove in the minors.

 

Tucker had a fantastic spring training, sure - but mastering AAA pitching is not something on his resume as of yet. And his .265/.325/.512 line in AA last season wasn't exactly otherworldly.

 

I'm not dismissing Tucker, I like him a lot. But I think people are putting too much stock in that great spring training he had. He still has some things to prove in the minors.

I wasn't necessarily comparing Acuna and Tucker. Just showing you don't have to master AAA to be called up. Plenty of big league players have skipped that level all together. This is a mute point if you can tell or show me what they currently are using is effective. Astro`s are hunting championships service time shouldn't effect Tucker. If championships are the goal probably fielding your best team is wise. I am not trying to argue with anyone. Just stating the reasons why the call up should be coming. Angels look pretty good as well. Most likely aren't running away with this division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I dont disagree he has something to prove in the minors still, but the Astros are trying to win their division.  If they view Tucker as a potential better option than Fisher/Marisnick, seems silly to even remotely jeopardize any games to save a few million dollars 6 years from now.  They already have the extra year.

 

Bingo! 

 

He's hitting .299 with a .371OBP, which in my books is pretty damn good. It's kind of gotten silly at this point that they haven't called him up. And not because I want him on my fantasy team, but it makes too much sense to do it. They are no longer in first, and the Mariners are breathing down their neck, a game back.. The west is not going to be easy to win this year, one or two games very well could be the division this year. Better go all out when you got Verlander and Cole locked down, while you can, instead of trying to save a few million six years down the road. Just my worthless, two cents :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

 

Bingo! 

 

He's hitting .299 with a .371OBP, which in my books is pretty damn good. It's kind of gotten silly at this point that they haven't called him up. And not because I want him on my fantasy team, but it makes too much sense to do it. They are no longer in first, and the Mariners are breathing down their neck, a game back.. The west is not going to be easy to win this year, one or two games very well could be the division this year. Better go all out when you got Verlander and Cole locked down, while you can, instead of trying to save a few million six years down the road. Just my worthless, two cents :)

 

I know it's a random (and small) sample, but over the last 11 games, he has struck out 15 times (29.4%) and walked only four times (7.8%) after striking out 13 times and walking 10 times in the first 17 games. I want him up as much as anyone (my OF could use the help), but I'd prefer to see him show that he can re-adjust and display that discipline he showed over the first two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what to expect from him. He is a very good prospect and has good pop but I think his hit tool might not be the greatest (isn't a low K guy, pulls a lot and also not low pop up rates). I could see him becoming a 260 hitter with like 25 homers which isn't all that rare in these days were everyone hits bombs. However I could also see him becoming a 290 hitter with 35 bombs which would be huge.

 

If it is the former he isn't really that much of an asset in shallower leagues. If it is the latter it is great but I wouldn't invest in him yet especially with the roster crunch the Astros have which could delay him further or give him a part time role before he finally gets a starting job maybe in 2020 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

 

Bingo! 

 

He's hitting .299 with a .371OBP, which in my books is pretty damn good. It's kind of gotten silly at this point that they haven't called him up. And not because I want him on my fantasy team, but it makes too much sense to do it. They are no longer in first, and the Mariners are breathing down their neck, a game back.. The west is not going to be easy to win this year, one or two games very well could be the division this year. Better go all out when you got Verlander and Cole locked down, while you can, instead of trying to save a few million six years down the road. Just my worthless, two cents :)

 

Well the Astros have a really good team. He probably would already  be better than their 25th roster guy but you don't want a top 10 prospect in baseball to be a 4th outfielder who starts twice a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fantasy Dork said:

 

I know it's a random (and small) sample, but over the last 11 games, he has struck out 15 times (29.4%) and walked only four times (7.8%) after striking out 13 times and walking 10 times in the first 17 games. I want him up as much as anyone (my OF could use the help), but I'd prefer to see him show that he can re-adjust and display that discipline he showed over the first two weeks.

 

Like you said, it's a random sample, players will go through streaks like that most of the year.. I like the overall OBP of .371.. He's hitting .299, seems like he's handled Triple A pretty well and has looked good at the plate the 4 or 5 games I've been able to catch.. I think people forget that the Astros' specifically said they'd have him in AAA to work on swing adjustments and batting vs LHP.. So they don't have him out there just sayin' let er' rip tater chip. That's one of the "problematic" area's of purely scouting stats lines in minor league baseball. A lot of the time it's more about development than performance.. One of the reasons I'm not in the least bit concerned about the lack of power he's shown this year. 

 

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

 

Well the Astros have a really good team. He probably would already  be better than their 25th roster guy but you don't want a top 10 prospect in baseball to be a 4th outfielder who starts twice a week.

 

He would be the full-time guy in LF if they brought him up. Fisher would get demoted, Marwin would go back to full-time utility and Marisnick would go back to his regular role of 4th OF. Or cut Marisnick and let Fisher be the 4th OF.. With as bad as Gattis is playing there's ABs to be given out at DH as well. They can find playing time for him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fisher not having any options left could be involved in the decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Got Fleeced? said:

Fisher not having any options left could be involved in the decision. 

 

I'm almost certain Fisher has two options left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites