Homerj24

Aaron Judge 2017 Outlook

missed it.  but no doubt this guy has power.  my question is is his strike zone too big and can he hit the big league slider.

will he hit 250 or 180? 

here is homerun btw...i dont know how to post video, but its at the top of this guys twitter

https://twitter.com/search?q=aaron+judge&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

Edited by jfazz23

Absolute bomb. I remember how impressed I was in his first 2-3 weeks of ABs when he got called up last year. He wasn't chasing much, having very mature ABs and showing off his power as well... then the wheels just came off and he was swinging over every breaking ball for the last 2 months of the season. 

24 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Absolute bomb. I remember how impressed I was in his first 2-3 weeks of ABs when he got called up last year. He wasn't chasing much, having very mature ABs and showing off his power as well... then the wheels just came off and he was swinging over every breaking ball for the last 2 months of the season. 

this, i hope it was just first year (part of year) jitters.

Hitting .298 through 47 spring AB's now, and his K-rate is at a reasonable 25%.  Anything to see here, or is he just taking advantage of ST pitching?

Also what's the playing time situation?  

10 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Hitting .298 through 47 spring AB's now, and his K-rate is at a reasonable 25%.  Anything to see here, or is he just taking advantage of ST pitching?

Also what's the playing time situation?  

im guessing RF is his job to lose.  hicks will be the 4 of, but gardner and ellsbury will need days off/get injured.

basically....if hes producing he will start, if not he will possibly be sent back to triple A.

not sure if his spring is real.  hes walking a lot too...which is a great sign though

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

im guessing RF is his job to lose.  hicks will be the 4 of, but gardner and ellsbury will need days off/get injured.

basically....if hes producing he will start, if not he will possibly be sent back to triple A.

not sure if his spring is real.  hes walking a lot too...which is a great sign though

I took him quite late in a league where i could use some power.  The bolded is what I find intriguing, as well as the reduced Ks so far -- he drew 9 walks and K'd 42 times in 95 PAs (84 ABs) last year in the bigs.  This spring he's 6/12 K/BB in 47 ABs (53 PAs I think).

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

I took him quite late in a league where i could use some power.  The bolded is what I find intriguing, as well as the reduced Ks so far -- he drew 9 walks and K'd 42 times in 95 PAs (84 ABs) last year in the bigs.  This spring he's 6/12 K/BB in 47 ABs (53 PAs I think).

He needs to get off to a good start, if he doesn't he will lose AB's to Hicks directly, and Carter indirectly.  If he starts, really bad, watch out for Clint Frazier.

I think Judge is a good lottery pick at end of draft, 

I pulled the trigger on Judge late in my highly competitive 12-team keeper league. He became the 303rd player off the board. What convinced me to draft him there, other than the fact he has immense power and on-base skills and a starting gig at Yankee Stadium, is that he has performed at the same level or - in the case of his triple slash line - outperformed Gary Sanchez at the AA and AAA levels. And we all saw what Sanchez did last season as a rookie. I'm not saying that means Judge is automatically going to outperform Sanchez at the major league level, nor am I even saying that Sanchez's rookie season was absolutely legit, but at the 303-pick in the draft I'll take my chances on Judge as an upside bench bat. Statistical comparisons below.

2015 Season at AA Trenton:

Judge ----- 250 AB, 12 HR, 44 RBI, .284/.350/.516

Sanchez - 233 AB, 12 HR, 36 RBI, .262/.319/.476

2016 Season at AAA Scranton

Judge ----- 352 AB, 19 HR, 65 RBI, .270/.366/.489

Sanchez - 284 AB, 10 HR, 50 RBI, .282/.339/.468

3 hours ago, Baseball Batman said:

I pulled the trigger on Judge late in my highly competitive 12-team keeper league. He became the 303rd player off the board. What convinced me to draft him there, other than the fact he has immense power and on-base skills and a starting gig at Yankee Stadium, is that he has performed at the same level or - in the case of his triple slash line - outperformed Gary Sanchez at the AA and AAA levels. And we all saw what Sanchez did last season as a rookie. I'm not saying that means Judge is automatically going to outperform Sanchez at the major league level, nor am I even saying that Sanchez's rookie season was absolutely legit, but at the 303-pick in the draft I'll take my chances on Judge as an upside bench bat. Statistical comparisons below.

2015 Season at AA Trenton:

Judge ----- 250 AB, 12 HR, 44 RBI, .284/.350/.516

Sanchez - 233 AB, 12 HR, 36 RBI, .262/.319/.476

2016 Season at AAA Scranton

Judge ----- 352 AB, 19 HR, 65 RBI, .270/.366/.489

Sanchez - 284 AB, 10 HR, 50 RBI, .282/.339/.468

303rd off the board? How did he go that far?

MLB . com has a story headline up right now suggesting the Yanks may choose to start Judge in AAA. I doubt it is anything further to what has already been detailed in a fight for the starting RF job between him and Hicks. Still up in the air.

I guess I'm a bit surprised there's not more of a buzz about Judge this spring, and in this thread.

Not fully on everyone's radar?

42 minutes ago, k.k. said:

MLB . com has a story headline up right now suggesting the Yanks may choose to start Judge in AAA. I doubt it is anything further to what has already been detailed in a fight for the starting RF job between him and Hicks. Still up in the air.

I guess I'm a bit surprised there's not more of a buzz about Judge this spring, and in this thread.

Not fully on everyone's radar?

I think they still see some holes, in his swing, that he needs to work on.  Believe you me, I'd start him in RF for the yanks and let him figure it out there.   He will just go down and dominate in the minors again.  I, personally, don't see the upside in sending him down.  I know they love Hicks, but he should be the 4th OF and he could still get 250-300 AB's,   I'm a yankee fan and I want Judge in there.  I could take some growing pains "this year"   I'm all-in for next year, though

If they send him down, I'd bet he's back by May unless Hicks just goes crazy.

Judge has done everything they've asked of him this offseason.  He's got moonshot power - like true 80 grade.  He takes walks.  His arm is a rocket launcher.

Judge should be their everyday RF until he proves he can't handle it.  If he can just hit .245, he's going to be really, really valuable to the Yanks as that probably comes with a .340 OBP, a ton of HRs, and good defense.

2 hours ago, JFS179 said:

If they send him down, I'd bet he's back by May unless Hicks just goes crazy.

Judge has done everything they've asked of him this offseason.  He's got moonshot power - like true 80 grade.  He takes walks.  His arm is a rocket launcher.

Judge should be their everyday RF until he proves he can't handle it.  If he can just hit .245, he's going to be really, really valuable to the Yanks as that probably comes with a .340 OBP, a ton of HRs, and good defense.

I still think he will be the guy, opening day.  I hope so, anyway

Great news. No reason whatsoever to give Hicks the job when Judge has outperformed him in Spring and has far, far more upside/potential. Time to find out what he is. He's had success at every level of the minors, he's made adjustments at every level after initial struggles, time to see if he can do the same in MLB. 

Roster Resource has him batting 8th... any chance he can work his way up the lineup?

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Great news. No reason whatsoever to give Hicks the job when Judge has outperformed him in Spring and has far, far more upside/potential. Time to find out what he is. He's had success at every level of the minors, he's made adjustments at every level after initial struggles, time to see if he can do the same in MLB. 

also a yanks fan....hicks will still get plenty of at bats between spelling judge in Right, and gardner and ellsbury are both i think 33 years old, they will need routine days off....both are also injury prone.  Hicks may still get to 400 at bats this year...but they made the right decision by calling Judge the starter IMO

@smeeze - of course there is a chance....right now it looks like ellsbury, castro, headly are 5-6-7

id judge hits like 240 with a 340 on base, he can possibly be hitting 5th by years end.  he has legit 80 grade power as JFS pointed out.  at the same time, if he hits 180, they might send him to AAA and give the job to hicks and maybe call up fowler or wade to be the 4th of/pinch runner etc

Edited by jfazz23

14 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Roster Resource has him batting 8th... any chance he can work his way up the lineup?

Of course. If Ellsbury is hitting 5th, you can feel comfortable thinking that a DL stint could open that spot. If Judge hits, I see no reason he won't move up.

22 hours ago, smeeze said:

That's what's keeping him from my roster.

28 minutes ago, Call me Red said:

That's what's keeping him from my roster.

just because where he is hitting? not understanding that...  you must be playing in shallow leagues

Judge is starting

the upside is so high

go get him now

Just now, shakestreet said:

just because where he is hitting? not understanding that...  you must be playing in shallow leagues

Judge is starting

the upside is so high

go get him now

I want to pick him up but not sure who to drop. His ceiling is high, yes, but batting 8th is awful for fantasy value.