mysonx3

Mike Foltynewicz 2017 Outlook

I've caught a few of his games and one thing that has stuck out to me is composure. I've noticed on more than a few occasions that he's missed a pitch that he wanted in low leverage situations and it's visibly upset him. I'm talking 2-1 with 2 outs and nobody on and the lead. Or third inning leadoff hitter and it's 1-0, stuff like that. It's almost as though he's got an ideal in his mind and if he deviates from it, it gets to him mentally and then proceeds to affect his future performance.

Feels like a got drunk and took Emma stone home from the bar, only to wake up and see it was really Lena Dunham 

disappointed 

His fastball speed was a few mph off. Throwing a lot of 91-93 pitches instead of 95-97s. He isnt a guy who can live at that lower speed right now. 

He doesn't even have a 2nd pitch that is consistent let alone a necessary 3rd one.  One out of every 4 starts he looks like a world beater.  

Not even fantasy relevant.

Edited by B&F

On 5/6/2017 at 7:40 AM, kidtwentytwo said:

Feels like a got drunk and took Emma stone home from the bar, only to wake up and see it was really Lena Dunham 

disappointed 

I'd prefer to take home Dunham. we have more sexual chemistry. but to each their own.

(*braces for hurled stones and inappropriate slurs)

anyway, can't say I watch much Braves, but Folty's velo has always stood out. Here are his earned runs per game thus far in 2017:

2 (only pitched two innings)

aside from the 7-run blowup, that's studly.

his k-rate and WHIP and ERA are underwhelming, but... something (might be) happening here... what it is aint exactly clear.

Has anyone watched him consistently? any Braves fans in the house?

I'm assuming his thread hasn't  been bumped since early May since no one can correctly spell his name in the search engine.

To make it easier to remember, it's: Folty-new-icz.  Folty, New, Icz. of course!    interesting genealogy... it's Antarctican.

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

^

"something (might be) happening here... what it is aint exactly clear."

very solid outing tonight.  maybe turning a corner?  anyone watching the game?

Great schedule coming up for his next 5 starts. Gets Phillies Mets Marlins Giants Padres.  I think he will do pretty well with a few bumps.   But you could do a lot worse for your fourth or fifth starter. 

We've seen this before. Next start 3 IP 7 ER.

1 hour ago, FUM said:

We've seen this before. Next start 3 IP 7 ER.

Was coming here to say the same thing. Inconsistency is Foltys game. Just look at his game log. 

I'm intrigued by this guy, some of you are down on his blowups, lots of SPs even the best have had some really bad games. Of his 10 starts only 2 did  he give up more than 3 ERs, that's not bad. The walks haven't been too bad, couple good K games but nothing crazy, pitched 6 or more innings about 6 times. Someone above posted his next lot of game likely to be facing Phillies Mets Marlins Giants Padres, seems like some decent matchups to go on a nice run. I feel like he should be more than %14 owned like Yahoo shows, after his last start which was fantastic Yahho shows him getting dropped. Seems like he would be at least a good 4/5 SP on most regular sized league/rosters. 

Anyone warming up to him or plan on picking him up for those favorable matchups coming up ?

On 6/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, High&Inside said:

Was coming here to say the same thing. Inconsistency is Foltys game. Just look at his game log. 

Yeah I remember watching a condensed game of probably his best start last year against the Royals... he was lights out, and it was the first time I had really watched him closely and I thought he had some of the best stuff in the majors. Watched his very next start and he looked unrecognizable and couldn't throw a strike.

He is definitely not overly consistent. However, he has only given up 5+ runs twice so far this season. Not a bad guy to have as your SP5 or so.

6 hours ago, Mikewastaken said:

Likely to run into a brick wall tonight in DC?

hope not.  running him out there in my weekly league for his two starts.  not exactly confidant though....

In daily's though I think I'm passing. He's pitching well, but not proven enough to be trusted against the best yet.

Another good start tonight and I think he'll have earned near must start status.

Folty did face Washington earlier this year. He went 7 innings, 2 ER, 4 BB, and 3 Ks. Still, I'm not confident to roll him out there for this week. Even with the 2nd start vs Miami.

I hope I'm wrong and he continues to roll.

8 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

what the heck with this guy....just as he gets going he lays a mega egg....

Washington can hit

Who's rolling him out there against Miami?

The last two times he was blown up, he bounced back. On 5/5, he gave up 7 runs against the Cardinals and his next start vs the Marlins, his line was 6 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 Ks. On 5/27, he gave up 5 runs against the Giants and his next start vs the Reds he went 7 IP, 2 hits, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 Ks.

As others have mentioned, he's been fairly solid. Despite his 4.37 ERA, he's given up more than 3 runs in only 3 starts this year...I hate to be the guy that puts out a stat like this, but if you ignore his 3 blows up, his ERA would be 1.59 since April 18 (8 starts).

Seems like a smart risk if you're behind your opponent heading into today.

Folty pitched stellar vs. the A's tonight. He took a no-hitter into the ninth but proceeded to give up a solo shot before being lifted. Final line in the win:

8.0 IP 1H 1ER 4BB 8K 119 Pitches

He seems to finally be putting it together. I'm still terrified to start him vs Washington next week though.

On 7/1/2017 at 2:00 AM, warningtrackpower said:

He seems to finally be putting it together. I'm still terrified to start him vs Washington next week though.

so far so good. he was dropped in my 14 teamer, might have to grab him.

I don't want to jinx it. I feel like as soon as you start to believe in this guy the sh*t hits the fan, but take out the 1 egg he laid @ Washington against a tough lineup and he's been pretty filthy since June. 

Edited by fletch44