Savatage79

Devonta Freeman 2017 Season Outlook

some are saying this offense is due for a regression, but why does that matter?  Freeman still put up around the same #s the year before

He's returning to practice today.  Sounds like he was in the concussion protocol because the Falcons wanted to cover themselves.   

from http://Quinn said that it is more of a precautionary measure than anything else

"He reportedly had some concussion symptoms," Quinn said of the medical staff's evaluation. "So we put him in the protocol for that...

Quinn said that it is more of a precautionary measure than anything else

My friend just came back from Atlanta and said it was VERY hot, so I could believe them when they say it was heat related.  In the NFL nowadays with the concussion stuff, it's now CYA

I ended up biting the bullet and taking Freeman in the draft that costs me the most to play in. I am hoping he is fine and the concussion talk was overblown. I am a little nervous, however.

1 hour ago, Br0kenB said:

I ended up biting the bullet and taking Freeman in the draft that costs me the most to play in. I am hoping he is fine and the concussion talk was overblown. I am a little nervous, however.

Same goes.  My large $ league, drafts (auction) this weekend.  With 4 of the top 8 RB's being kept, Freeman has been/ is my target.  I'm really not sure what to think, right now.  

The worst part is taking Coleman. I had to take him in R6 to be safe.

1 hour ago, Br0kenB said:

I also took the plunge 

28 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

The worst part is taking Coleman. I had to take him in R6 to be safe.

ouch!!  personally i'm staying away from coleman this year.  costs too much and i don't think he'll have standalone value like he did last year.  Possibly could trade for him when his owner gets frustrated 

So, it seems the narrative here is everyone being afraid of him getting more concussions?  If a cause for concern is injury (rather it be to the head or leg or wherever), then why draft any RB at all? lol.  Every single RB in the league is higher injury risk than any other fantasy position.  Is it just me, or is this injury excuse to not draft an RB lame af?  A bunch of great RBs have suffered concussions, hammy strains, ankle strains, etc....it's the territory of the job and the risk of taking any RBs in fantasy.  

Anyway, I'm not particularly partial to D.Freeman or any RB for that matter.  The reason you take an RB is because of the leverage they give your team when you get one of the top ones.  

Personally if I'm drafting in a standard TD league (non-ppr) I'm taking Freeman 3rd overall, if it's a PPR league I'd consider any of the top WRs or Shady, and I will do so with no worries of possible injuries, anyone and everyone can and will get injured sooner or later in todays NFL....just my opinions

Edited by tecmoboot

6 minutes ago, tecmoboot said:

So, it seems the narrative here is everyone being afraid of him getting more concussions?  If a cause for concern is injury (rather it be to the head or leg or wherever), then why draft any RB at all? lol.  Every single RB in the league is higher injury risk than any other fantasy position.  Is it just me, or is this injury excuse to not draft an RB lame af?  A bunch of great RBs have suffered concussions, hammy strains, ankle strains, etc....it's the territory of the job and the risk of taking any RBs in fantasy.  

Anyway, I'm not particularly partial to D.Freeman or any RB for that matter.  The reason you take an RB is because of the leverage they give your team when you get one of the top ones.  

Personally if I'm drafting in a standard TD league (non-ppr) I'm taking Freeman 3rd overall, if it's a PPR league I'd consider any of the top WRs or Shady, and I will do so with no worries of possible injuries, anyone and everyone can and will get injured sooner or later in todays NFL....just my opinions

I drafted him 4th overall in my standard big money league, have no concerns whatsoever. Word is he may have not even suffered and actual concussion at all, but may have been heat related or the like.

Anyway, they signed this kid to a $41 million deal with $22m guaranteed. All this talk of taking a back seat to Coleman, etc is pure garbage. You don't pay that kind of money, to a RB especially, for him to play 2nd fiddle. The only concern could be well he just got paid so he won't play as hard. Freeman isn't that type of player. He's a passionate runner and gives it his all on every single play.

I look for him to have a HUGE year.

After doing some research last night it seems that some people are a little down on Devonta, ranking him at the end of the first round/early second round. 

One site in particular said that with Kyle Shanahan gone they expect the Falcons offense as a whole to regress this season. Does anyone familiar with the new and old OC care to comment? Or has this been discussed already in the thread? 

4 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

After doing some research last night it seems that some people are a little down on Devonta, ranking him at the end of the first round/early second round. 

One site in particular said that with Kyle Shanahan gone they expect the Falcons offense as a whole to regress this season. Does anyone familiar with the new and old OC care to comment? Or has this been discussed already in the thread? 

Basically all that's been talked about in this thread. 

Summary: We all agree the Falcons offense will regress, but we don't all agree that this is a negative. Many feel that with reduced offensive efficiency, there will be more volume for the skill players. The new OC is a bit of a question mark, but the general expectation is that they will try to stay true to the Shanny system. 

I have Freeman ranked as my #3 RB behind LeVeon and D. Johnson. The past two years has gotten 27 TDS (13/14 TDS in each year) Averages 1068 RuYDs per year and 520 ReYDs. He is simply money as he does not miss games either. I drafted him at #4 in my draft this past weekend.

1 minute ago, FinsUp24 said:

Basically all that's been talked about in this thread. 

Summary: We all agree the Falcons offense will regress, but we don't all agree that this is a negative. Many feel that with reduced offensive efficiency, there will be more volume for the skill players. The new OC is a bit of a question mark, but the general expectation is that they will try to stay true to the Shanny system. 

Thanks for the quick response.  I should have read further back in to the thread. 

I've got the #5 pick tonight in a .5 PPR and if Julio doesn't fall to that spot (doubt he will) I am seriously considering Freeman ahead of the like of OBJ, McCoy, Green, Evans, etc. I just think his talent and opportunity make him a safe and productive option at that spot. OBJ's ankle injury may linger with him, McCoy is in a dumpster fire situation in Buffalo, Green is tempting but I believe there is WR value in the later rounds, and I feel Evans will regress slightly with more mouths to feed in TB. Might be completely wrong but that's where my mind's at currently.

10 minutes ago, Unbreakable said:

I have Freeman ranked as my #3 RB behind LeVeon and D. Johnson. The past two years has gotten 27 TDS (13/14 TDS in each year) Averages 1068 RuYDs per year and 520 ReYDs. He is simply money as he does not miss games either. I drafted him at #4 in my draft this past weekend.

I'd put Gordon and Ajayi ahead of Freeman only because of the lack of competition behind them, Tevin Coleman is pretty awesome. I'm not saying that Coleman is going take over but he could definitely cut into Freeman's workload.  

I just got him at 14 in my Standard league and was thrilled about it (Took AJ at 11 and doubted DF would be there). Coleman was taken the pick before me in round 7, is it worth trading for him to have them both amidst Freeman's concussion concerns, or are most owners standing pat with just Freeman?

1 hour ago, whitekenyan24 said:

I've got the #5 pick tonight in a .5 PPR and if Julio doesn't fall to that spot (doubt he will) I am seriously considering Freeman ahead of the like of OBJ, McCoy, Green, Evans, etc. I just think his talent and opportunity make him a safe and productive option at that spot. OBJ's ankle injury may linger with him, McCoy is in a dumpster fire situation in Buffalo, Green is tempting but I believe there is WR value in the later rounds, and I feel Evans will regress slightly with more mouths to feed in TB. Might be completely wrong but that's where my mind's at currently.

I am in the exact same situation, and will be taking Freeman even if Julio is there.

As a Coleman owner the last two seasons and new Freeman owner this year, I'm not concerned about Coleman at all.  He's more injury prone than Freeman.  He missed 7 games in his first two years, while Freeman has only missed 1 in his three years.  

Let someone else draft Coleman, then trade low for him once he gets injured.

Anyone have any insight on the matchup this week? Expecting big things? I've been hearing that the bears defense isn't terrible

5 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Anyone have any insight on the matchup this week? Expecting big things? I've been hearing that the bears defense isn't terrible

What insight do you want?  You start him and see how it shakes out.  If you have better options please send me an invite to your league.

5 hours ago, RJRJRJ said:

What insight do you want?  You start him and see how it shakes out.  If you have better options please send me an invite to your league.

I never suggested I had better options, just wanted to get a casual conversation going about what we can expect to see from the Bears D. Unbunch those panties dawg

9 minutes ago, hiddenz said:

Anyone worried about volume here?

No... It's been shown in numbers before but Freeman scores more fantasy points when splitting with Coleman than he does without him. 

I swear, he's one of the most underappreciated guys in fantasy. So glad I took this stud 4th overall. There's just a certain sense of confidence knowing he's on your team, Mr. Consistency. 

I suppose that's why his thread is never bumped. Just another day at the office I guess.