Rotoworld.com Forums

Devonta Freeman 2017 Season Outlook

14 hours ago, throwinsamoan said:

You want some kind of medal for taking him 4th overall? Is that right?? If so, come on man. Terrible value at 4. 

Gordon in the first round is better. If you got Gurley in the 2nd round that's even better. 

Probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read on this forum, and that’s saying a lot. Most people don’t have a choice in their draft slot. A very large portion of first round picks bust. Freeman is not a bust, and because a couple of RBs picked later than him are doing better so far, that doesn’t make him a “bad value” for some arbitrary #4 overall pick

i actually got him at 9 if you must know, but please tell me how Kareem Hunt or Deshaun Watson would have been better value at that slot :rolleyes:

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

The whole Falcons offense was going to regress this year because of the loss of Shanahan. Was a big risk drafting any of their players.

Except Freeman is on pace 50 for more rushing yards, 3 more TDs, and more total fantasy points than last season.

16 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Except Freeman is on pace 50 for more rushing yards, 3 more TDs, and more total fantasy points than last season.

Okay.

Julio has looked lost. Sanu has not done anything. Tevin is obviously being impacted. Matt Ryan's numbers are poo-poo compared to last year. Gabriel doesn't seem to be as explosive as last year.

It makes sense that Freeman would see the least regression as he is guaranteed touches; he is the lead running back. 

3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Okay.

Julio has looked lost. Sanu has not done anything. Tevin is obviously being impacted. Matt Ryan's numbers are poo-poo compared to last year. Gabriel doesn't seem to be as explosive as last year.

It makes sense that Freeman would see the least regression as he is guaranteed touches; he is the lead running back. 

But you said it was a big risk drafting any of their players.

8 minutes ago, yanksman said:

But you said it was a big risk drafting any of their players.

It was risky because you didn't know what you were coming into. This past weekends game could show its head more often than not due to the uncertainty with the offense. Freeman received 9 carries versus Miami of all teams, where he should probably have received a minimum of 18 carries.

The OC is running this team with a big question mark. Matt Ryan is playing more like Matt Ryan, and he has had more seasons of being average than he has had seasons being above average. It was normal to expect regression on the offensive side of the ball. If they start focusing on Julio a bit more, Freeman will see a drop in his stats. This team no longer has the ability to maintain multiple fantasy relevant players. Up till now, Julio has suffered while Freeman has remained steady. I wouldn't be surprised to see the opposite come true in the coming weeks if they keep losing/almost losing to bad teams.

For three years now, folks on this board have been predicting the demise of Devonta Freeman.

He had only nine carries, and the Falcons only ran the ball 18 times.  This is not a trend.

Week 1:  12 of 21 total carries
Week 2:  19 of 27 carries
Week 3:  21 of 28 carries
Week 4:  18 of 29 carries

Yes, the Falcons will not go 16-0, and sometimes they will play in games where they go away from the run.  Like every team.

Cupcake schedule the next two weeks. If the Falcons don’t force feed their running game, and would rather lose on the arm of Matt Ryan, I hope they never sniff the playoffs ever again 

Edited by lolcopter
7 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read on this forum, and that’s saying a lot. Most people don’t have a choice in their draft slot. A very large portion of first round picks bust. Freeman is not a bust, and because a couple of RBs picked later than him are doing better so far, that doesn’t make him a “bad value” for some arbitrary #4 overall pick

i actually got him at 9 if you must know, but please tell me how Kareem Hunt or Deshaun Watson would have been better value at that slot :rolleyes:

Don't put words in my mouth.

Simply stated taking Freeman at 4 is not good value at that slot. He's a fringe first rd (depending on league size of course) player and on average what I've witnessed in all my drafts he was largely taken in the upper half of the 2nd round. I'm not saying he's overrated or anything, don't misinterpret. In my yahoo league I took Evans @6 and came back and nabbed Freeman in the 2nd round.  

This guy was bumping a thread like making some sort of grand declaration, but most savvy fantasy owners already know he's a consistent reliable player, SO WHAT. Should I bump threads of all my players that are underrated in my view?

Was meant to be halfway tongue n cheek anyway, if he's that sensitive that's his hangup. Done with this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, oliminator123 said:

The whole Falcons offense was going to regress this year because of the loss of Shanahan. Was a big risk drafting any of their players.

Sure, regression from an historically great offense was likely, but that doesn’t mean drafting a player from Atlanta’s offense was a “big risk”. In fact, it wasn’t risky at all compared to most of the options available. Even if they didn’t live up to their draft position it was a pretty safe bet they wouldn’t bust altogether and they haven’t. Most of us would still like to have Julio and Freeman in our lineup when they play NO twice in the playoffs. And Ryan? I don’t know, would you rather have the next superstar stud QB from Tampa Bay? Or maybe play it safe with a can’t miss stud like Brees? Turns out the smart fantasy players in the know reached for Alex Smith and Carson Wentz.

What were people supposed to do, avoid all Falcons? Julio was a consensus top 3 WR, Freeman a consensus top 10 RB (if not top 5) Ryan a consensus top 5 QB, and those were “expert” rankings with the expected regression baked in. A big risk would’ve been drafting Gurley with the 3rd overall pick. Drafting Frerman or Julio in the 1st round wasn’t a big risk, if anything it was a relatively safe pick. 

Fantasy football is just random and stupid. Was drafting Mike Evans top 5 a big risk? What about Michael Thomas? Most of the time in fantasy football unexpected results simply can’t be explained. That’s what makes them unexpected, and that’s why as much as we like to pretend otherwise, we might as well all just autodraft because none of us have any idea wtf is going to happen over the course of a season. We make educated guesses and hope for the best, nothing more. Those who get lucky fancy themselves “good at fantasy football”, those who don’t were simply unlucky.

14 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Fantasy football is just random and stupid. Was drafting Mike Evans top 5 a big risk? What about Michael Thomas? Most of the time in fantasy football unexpected results simply can’t be explained. That’s what makes them unexpected, and that’s why as much as we like to pretend otherwise, we might as well all just autodraft because none of us have any idea wtf is going to happen over the course of a season. We make educated guesses and hope for the best, nothing more. Those who get lucky fancy themselves “good at fantasy football”, those who don’t were simply unlucky.

Fantasy football is not 'just random" it is more accurate to say that there is randomness in fantasy football.  There is  reason why you draft Aaron Rodgers ahead of Kizer because of the expected performance outcome based on  sample sets, the randomness of the game occurs when Rodgers is lost for a season or he has a game where he throws  for 25 yd and 10 interceptions.   Expected outcomes are predictable, certainty is not. Good  fantasy players are able to identify the higher probability outcomes or avoid the  least desireable ones.

Edited by dashoe
Just now, dashoe said:

Fantasy football is not 'just random" it is more accurate to say that there is randomness in fantasy football.  There is  reason why you draft Aaron Rodgers ahead of Kizer because of the expected performance outcome based on  sample sets, the randomness of the game occurs when Rodgers is lost for a season or he has a game where he throws  for 25 yd and 10 interceptions.   Expected outcomes are predictable, certainty is not.

Agreed, which is why I said we make educated guesses and hope for the best. Sometimes our educated guesses turn out to be good ones, other times they don’t. Pretty much every one of us wanted Michael Thomas. There was a reason we were all so high on him. We all would’ve drafted him relatively high. Those who ended up with him are not less good at fantasy football, just victims of its randomness. The same randomness and luck that could’ve landed them Alex Smith in the 13th round.

4 minutes ago, BklynBlue said:

Did he get hurt today??  injury???

Yeah he had a pretty good collision on a flat pass right near the end of the game. He was able to get up but my impression was bell rung - I didn't see anything to indicate a leg injury - he was walking fine. My best guess concussion protocol.

Just now, Tugginroot said:

How no injury update on him at all?  And what was with getting out snapped by Coleman?  I get they were down, but Freeman plays well in the passing game too, no?

He didn't come back in at the end of the game and the coaches didn't discuss it in the post game.

They were checking his right shoulder on the sidelines after this hit.  Collarbone?  Separated shoulder? whatever it is hopefully it's mild and he's ok.

sd.jpg.f46859366891734b4fcfe22d5d4414df.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg.9b26aba3f458245b79cf758cca5a3410.jpg

Edited by ragrag
5 minutes ago, ragrag said:

They were checking his right shoulder on the sidelines after this hit.  Collarbone?  Separated shoulder? whatever it is hopefully it's mild and he's ok.

sd.jpg.f46859366891734b4fcfe22d5d4414df.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg.9b26aba3f458245b79cf758cca5a3410.jpg

Do you know what time in the 4th that was?