Rotoworld.com Forums

Devonta Freeman 2017 Season Outlook

14 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

The shiny new toys are always tempting, but Freeman is already a proven top 5 fantasy RB, in his prime, on a prolific high scoring offense. What more do you want? Sure, the rookies are a few years younger, but they'll be hard pressed to match or surpass what Freeman is already accomplishing. 

Gambling is fun, but are you comfortable passing up a 25 year old NFL stud RB for an unproven 22 year old promising college RB prospect?

x2.  Go with the young proven stud on an established offense over the pie-in-the-sky possibility all day long.    There's much more to being a workhorse back than combine and SPARQ scores.     

I have McCoy at 4-  but can certainly understand the Freeman love.   

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, howlin' 2 said:

You'd take him in a dynasty standard scoring over all the rookies?

Yes.

He is an RB1 guranteed volume in the Atlanta Falcons potent offense.

I cannot say we have a flawless prospect YET.

Joe Mixon- where will he go? If he didn't punch a woman, he'd be a top-20 pick and I'd probably give him the nod over Freeman. However, he did what he did and unless he goes to the Raiders in round 2, I wouldn't give him thought over Freeman.

Corey Davis- prolific WR but is he a true blue chipper given his unknown athleticism and small school background? 

Leonard Fournette- guranteed volume but I honestly don't think he is as talented as freeman and if he goes to a team like the Jets, you can forget mentioning him in the same breath as freeman.

Dalvin Cook- again, like Mixon, where will he go? Had a combine that leaves him with no 1st round comps, had major shoulder operations, fumbles often, and has many off the field issues.

Christian Mccaffrey- this is the one I feel best about based on what I'm hearing. Yes, he's very small for a workhorse and that poses an injury risk throughout the 16 game season. BUT, if he lands in the top-15/top-20, he's going to get every chance to be a workhorse and has the talent to back it up. 

In a world where McCaffrey goes to Indy in round 1 and Mixon goes to the raiders in round 2, it may give me pause. 

Knowing what we know now, I can't say I like any of these guys over freeman.

I know the 1.01's value though and I'm confident, as an owner of it in one league, I can get much more than Freeman when rookie fever kicks in.

His upside is capped because of Coleman (not rushing for 1600 yards), but his floor is also really high making him a great 1st round pick.

Freeman's floor is 1K yards rushing, 500 receiving, 50+ receptions, 10+ TDs...

I missed the boat on Freeman a couple years ago and, admittedly, still haven't warmed up to him (ego trumping logic here).

I know he's good, but I really thought Coleman was going to be the guy in Atlanta, with Freeman rotating in.

Having said that, Freeman's numbers speak for themselves and nothing has changed dramatically in that offense.

Assuming health, I can't see any reason to expect any change in his level of consistent production.

Edited by Winky
1 hour ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Yes.

He is an RB1 guranteed volume in the Atlanta Falcons potent offense.

I cannot say we have a flawless prospect YET.

Joe Mixon- where will he go? If he didn't punch a woman, he'd be a top-20 pick and I'd probably give him the nod over Freeman. However, he did what he did and unless he goes to the Raiders in round 2, I wouldn't give him thought over Freeman.

Corey Davis- prolific WR but is he a true blue chipper given his unknown athleticism and small school background? 

Leonard Fournette- guranteed volume but I honestly don't think he is as talented as freeman and if he goes to a team like the Jets, you can forget mentioning him in the same breath as freeman.

Dalvin Cook- again, like Mixon, where will he go? Had a combine that leaves him with no 1st round comps, had major shoulder operations, fumbles often, and has many off the field issues.

Christian Mccaffrey- this is the one I feel best about based on what I'm hearing. Yes, he's very small for a workhorse and that poses an injury risk throughout the 16 game season. BUT, if he lands in the top-15/top-20, he's going to get every chance to be a workhorse and has the talent to back it up. 

In a world where McCaffrey goes to Indy in round 1 and Mixon goes to the raiders in round 2, it may give me pause. 

Knowing what we know now, I can't say I like any of these guys over freeman.

I know the 1.01's value though and I'm confident, as an owner of it in one league, I can get much more than Freeman when rookie fever kicks in.

That's what I'm talking about. ;)

As GM trying to gauge the value for Devonta and holding the #6 overall pick in a dynasty basically all rookies draft I want to get Mixon.

Only the #5 owner has bit at all on Freeman.Do I really need or want to trade Freeman for that? That team however needs RB's in the worst way. The #3 owner needs WR but doesn't like Freeman for that pick. Doesn't think M.Williams will make it to #6 if we swap either. (of course I'd have to add extra to the #6)

It's looking like the big 3 RB's(4 being Mixon) plus Williams & Davis at WR in the top six picks. I'm loaded up everywhere but QB (Eli & Wentz) so it's not the end of the world but Mixon is the one I want. Right landing spot I'd take him #1

Edited by howlin' 2

If I am the one holding Freeman, there is no way I am dealing him for the #6 pick.

If my team sucks and dealing Freeman makes sense, then I'd want more than the #6 pick.

You said you are loaded everywhere, so why make a move then?

Having a man-crush on an incoming rookie and an itchy trigger finger is a bad combo. 

You already have a top 5ish RB who is just 25 years old in Freeman... why gamble that at all?

Edited by Winky
On 4/22/2017 at 1:02 PM, Winky said:

Freeman's floor is 1K yards rushing, 500 receiving, 50+ receptions, 10+ TDs...

Not a big miss but he only had 462 receiving yards last year.  Still, looks like a lock for 1,400 / 10 overall, with 1,600 / 15 potential.

• 4 weeks later...

No, he can't afford to hold out, especially with Tevin Coleman in the mix. He has no negotiation room.

Source: CBS Sports Radio - Knox Bardeen

Atlanta Falcons RB Devonta Freeman said he can't envision himself holding out if contract negotiations were to come to a halt. Freeman has one year left on his rookie deal.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Freeman is scheduled to make $1.797 million this season, but GM Thomas Dimitroff has stated he believes a new deal will be worked out sometime around training camp. Freeman isn't holding out, and fantasy owners are drafting Freeman at RB6 (1.11) in 12-team PPR leagues.

2 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

No, he can't afford to hold out, especially with Tevin Coleman in the mix. He has no negotiation room.

Source: CBS Sports Radio - Knox Bardeen

Atlanta Falcons RB Devonta Freeman said he can't envision himself holding out if contract negotiations were to come to a halt. Freeman has one year left on his rookie deal.

Freeman is scheduled to make $1.797 million this season, but GM Thomas Dimitroff has stated he believes a new deal will be worked out sometime around training camp. Freeman isn't holding out, and fantasy owners are drafting Freeman at RB6 (1.11) in 12-team PPR leagues.

The thing is, I don't think he would hold out if he was the only guy in town. He seems like the kind of player that is genuinely thankful for the opportunity that Atlanta has given him and is the ultimate team player. He is truly a character guy which makes him one of my favorite NFL/Fantasy players. 

23 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

The thing is, I don't think he would hold out if he was the only guy in town. He seems like the kind of player that is genuinely thankful for the opportunity that Atlanta has given him and is the ultimate team player. He is truly a character guy which makes him one of my favorite NFL/Fantasy players. 

while i do agree Freeman comes off as a stand up guy on the surface, don't underestimate Freeman or his agent wanting a very lucrative deal in place sooner, then later.  There have already been rumblings about Freeman and his agents expectations as being paid as an elite RB, overall, i don't blame him given he's produced well.  The shelf life for these players is simply too short not to be a bit greedy when they are afforded the opportunity.

That being said,  Freeman and ATL prob have this in the works currently more then we know though.  Freeman is doing all the right things right now and he's not making a stink, but i can guarantee you that if he puts together another really good season in 2017, ATL better pony up the cash or they will lose out all together here.

Freeman does have plenty of wiggle room to hold out if he were to go that route, IMO.  I like Coleman, but he's yet to log a full season.  Freeman has been the better player and the healthier one to date.  Its in ATL's interest to retain Freeman,IMO

1 hour ago, BlakeP42 said:

while i do agree Freeman comes off as a stand up guy on the surface, don't underestimate Freeman or his agent wanting a very lucrative deal in place sooner, then later.  There have already been rumblings about Freeman and his agents expectations as being paid as an elite RB, overall, i don't blame him given he's produced well.  The shelf life for these players is simply too short not to be a bit greedy when they are afforded the opportunity.

That being said,  Freeman and ATL prob have this in the works currently more then we know though.  Freeman is doing all the right things right now and he's not making a stink, but i can guarantee you that if he puts together another really good season in 2017, ATL better pony up the cash or they will lose out all together here.

Freeman does have plenty of wiggle room to hold out if he were to go that route, IMO.  I like Coleman, but he's yet to log a full season.  Freeman has been the better player and the healthier one to date.  Its in ATL's interest to retain Freeman,IMO

This is definitely a possibility and people change. If you get a chance, check out the Viceland documentary called "Rivals: The Boom Squad". It gives a little insight to Freeman's origins. I know that there are a ton of rags to riches stories in the NFL, but Freeman seems genuine. None of this is FF relevant though, so I'll leave it at that.

The history of running backs holding out ended in the 2000's after Chris Johnson's contract.

Ask Marshawn Lynch about holding out..

DeMarco Murray sent packing..

Adrian Peterson sent packing...

LeSean MCcoy traded...

The running back position is no longer valued like before. Too many RBBCs and few workhorses.

It's a passing league, now....

Somebody will pay Freeman if ATL lets him go or doesn't sign him,but it may not be what he's asking.

RBs have very little negotiation power, in my humble opinion, especially, if you got a guy behind you that could carry 70% or more of the RB offensive load.

Edited by TX Babe Ruth

Source: ESPN.com - Josina Anderson

Atlanta Falcons RB Devonta Freeman wants to be 'elite paid', according to ESPN's Josina Anderson.

Elite money is hard to define at the running back position in today's NFL. We'd consider elite money to be anywhere from $7-9 million annually which would put Freeman in the range of LeSean McCoy (Bills) but behind the $12 million Le'Veon Bell (Steelers) is scheduled to make in 2017. We'll see if Freeman and the Falcons can agree on a new deal sometime this summer.

21 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Source: ESPN.com - Josina Anderson

Atlanta Falcons RB Devonta Freeman wants to be 'elite paid', according to ESPN's Josina Anderson.

Elite money is hard to define at the running back position in today's NFL. We'd consider elite money to be anywhere from $7-9 million annually which would put Freeman in the range of LeSean McCoy (Bills) but behind the $12 million Le'Veon Bell (Steelers) is scheduled to make in 2017. We'll see if Freeman and the Falcons can agree on a new deal sometime this summer.

He wants Fournette money. 

32 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

The terms of Fournette's contract hasn't been disclosed as far as I know.

last i saw Fournette signed his 4 year/ 27.1 mil deal with the Jags a few days back.  17+M signing bonus

2 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The #4 pick in the draft = guaranteed top-5 NFL RB salary. 

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

As support. Note the Jags have 2 of the top 6 paid RBs in the NFL.  Browns gonna... wait.  Well, you get the idea. 

Meanwhile, my pick for best RB in the NFL is the #80 paid RB (although not the guy I'd pick first in fantasy because I'm a homer and willing to admit it). The 2 other contenders for best back are #1 and #8.  

• 4 weeks later...

I heard on a podcast that his career yards-per-carry average is like 2.0 better on turf than it is on grass.  He plays 13 games on turf this year.

I do believe it has something to do with his home games being on turf and most of his road games being on grass but it's a pretty drastic change.

9 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I heard on a podcast that his career yards-per-carry average is like 2.0 better on turf than it is on grass.  He plays 13 games on turf this year.

I do believe it has something to do with his home games being on turf and most of his road games being on grass but it's a pretty drastic change.

Thanks for the post. Intriguing information. I would imagine it has something to with traction more than feeling "at home," both for speed and for cutting.

But it would be cool to see a list of all top RBs comparing their turf vs. grass performance.

Would also be cool to see the percentage increase of injuries on turf vs. grass. 

More metrics to consider for our notebooks.

Call in sick tomorrow and get on that!

12 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Thanks for the post. Intriguing information. I would imagine it has something to with traction more than feeling "at home," both for speed and for cutting.

But it would be cool to see a list of all top RBs comparing their turf vs. grass performance.

Would also be cool to see the percentage increase of injuries on turf vs. grass. 

More metrics to consider for our notebooks.

Call in sick tomorrow and get on that!

The counterpart was that Tevin Coleman's ypc average was actually worse on turf than it was on grass.

• 3 weeks later...

Source: ESPN.com - Vaughn McClure

Atlanta Falcons RB Devonta Freeman's potential long-term deal is likely to happen soon, according to owner Arthur Blank. 'He's the kind of person you want to have on your team for all the right reasons,' Blank said of Freeman. It has been reported that Freeman's deal could be done before training camp commences.