Savatage79

Devonta Freeman 2017 Season Outlook

4 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

he just got his extension 

Oh man, thanks. Dunno how that flew over my head...

17 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

Anyone worried about the concussion he suffered? 

Not that much as he doesn't have a published history of concussions. It happened in practice and was originally thought to be dehydration. If it was the regular season, it sounds as if he'd start this weekend. Hopefully they'll shut him down until Week 1.

Any insight on the new o cord I'm Atlanta? How will he effect freeman? 

Edited by phatrat
Assistant coach content removed

23 minutes ago, rahuLL said:

Any insight on the new o cord I'm Atlanta? How will he effect freeman? 

He's completely new to the NFL so I doubt that much will be known, however their last OC was about as pass-happy as one could get so I'd expect more involvement for both Freeman and Coleman (Freeman only had like 225 carries last year.)

Scott Engel said he is concerned that D Freeman is a big health risk as this is his second known concussion.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Scott Engel said he is concerned that D Freeman is a big health risk as this is his second known concussion.

Thoughts?

Scott Engel is a clown.

1 minute ago, Br0kenB said:

Scott Engel is a clown.

Haha! True, but 1) I like his shtick and 2) he's made some pretty good calls over the years.

For example, when I think about D Freeman crashing headfirst in to defenders for a full season after suffering a concussion over the summer, it makes me nervous. It also could make the Falcons nervous to and start giving T Austin the ball more.

2 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Haha! True, but 1) I like his shtick and 2) he's made some pretty good calls over the years.

For example, when I think about D Freeman crashing headfirst in to defenders for a full season after suffering a concussion over the summer, it makes me nervous. It also could make the Falcons nervous to and start giving T Austin the ball more.

T Austin? Tavon Austin is on the Rams. T Coleman is on the Falcons.

40 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Thoughts?

Who?

28 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

T Austin? Tavon Austin is on the Rams. T Coleman is on the Falcons.

Right, right you know who I mean.

1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

The Falcons didn't just give DFree that big contract to start giving the ball to Coleman more.

5 hours ago, Br0kenB said:

He's completely new to the NFL so I doubt that much will be known, however their last OC was about as pass-happy as one could get so I'd expect more involvement for both Freeman and Coleman (Freeman only had like 225 carries last year.)

Uhhh... maybe because you have Julio Jones and Coleman out of the back field?

17 minutes ago, KB_IV said:

The Falcons didn't just give DFree that big contract to start giving the ball to Coleman more.

Exactly.. Hi were going to pay you more to use him! 

35 minutes ago, KB_IV said:

I agree but how much of that K is guaranteed for injury? Does that make them think that maybe T Coleman should get a few more series than usual? Salt away the game time carries? A few more goal line carries? I don't know, but they might consider it.

More importantly, what if he gets injured? This is his 2nd concussion and he just got it two weeks ago - in practice - with the whole season to go. I've never had a concussion, but I'm fairly sure that the last thing I would want to do 4 weeks after sustaining one is repeatedly bang my head in to NFL defenses over and over and over again. Pretty sure my doctor would advise against it as well.

All that said, I am just playing devil's advocate here because Scott Engel seemed to be concerned about it and a lot of the tough calls he has made at players I happened to have been looking at over the years have been correct. I think he is a pretty sound analyst. This is seriously frustrating because I had settled on D Freeman as "My Guy" in the first round and now I'm not so sure. 

The cause for concern is because what was thought to be dehydration is now a concussion....what if it's something else? Details are sketchy at best...it's a flag..

11 minutes ago, hard1 said:

The cause for concern is because what was thought to be dehydration is now a concussion....what if it's something else? Details are sketchy at best...it's a flag..

I don't get what you're tryin to assume, and I thought it was already common knowledge to be a concussion almost from the get go? The season is still long enough away where a concussion I don't think is going to hinder Freeman by that point 

6 hours ago, S1mcity said:

Uhhh... maybe because you have Julio Jones and Coleman out of the back field?

Ya don't say!

Hoping his health issue is cleared up by Sunday, trying to pick between him and Shady 4th pick 12 team standard. Is the slightly higher production of Shady worth the risk of giving up the consistency of Freeman. 

The concussion thing is sort of scaring me, not going to lie.

should be a concern because say he gets another concussion in the regular season, he'll probably be out for an extended period no? for extra precaution.

The last thing I saw from him is he's in the final stages of his concussion protocol. He should be good to go for the opener. 

On 2/28/2017 at 8:34 PM, devaster said:

I love his talent, durability, and nose for the endzone. But I feel like the RBBC is just going to get stronger. I don't know if he will be as valuable next season. Coleman missing time this season is a big reason he finished in the top-12. If Coleman is healthy all year though, that puts Freeman in RB2 discussion, not RB1. It is a gamble. He is borderline due to the RBBC and Coleman's health.

Old post but i agree with this. I don't own any DFree shares and I think He is good player but I couldn't take him in the first round. I expect the offense to regress a bit with Shanahan out of the picture. The falcons are saying the offsense isn't changing much but Shanahan and Ryan seemed to have a good thing going.  DFree got an extension but Coleman is still in the picture and that limits Freeman's workload. I don't expect TC to get the ball more but I don't really expect him to get it less.  

It's just my opinion and I could be wrong but I'm skipping right over freeman unless he would miraculously last until the late 2nd which isn't happening. 

health is also a concern going into the season. If he gets another concussion it may be a multi week absence 

Edited by Under500Forever

He had a concussion a couple of seasons ago towards the end of the season vs STL if I remember correctly