Savatage79

Rob Gronkowski 2017 Season Outlook

7 minutes ago, CooL said:

There's just too much Gronk love here for what lately has been average production.

I kind of got a little of what you were saying then you wrote this.  Yes players have a few odd low games here and there but Gronk has won me a few weeks already on his own and sits at TE2 for the year - gronk love here is on point.

5 minutes ago, nosh0t said:

I kind of got a little of what you were saying then you wrote this.  Yes players have a few odd low games here and there but Gronk has won me a few weeks already on his own and sits at TE2 for the year - gronk love here is on point.

I hear ya.  He certainly won me a few weeks.  And he's certainly contributed to a few losses, most noticeably last week which has me on the brink of elimination.  Combine that with a terrible RB situation on my team and that's why I'm a little overly salty. Apologies to the Gronk truthers here.  I've never really been a fan of this guy, always ignoring him because of his increased cost and perpetual concern for injury.  Thought I would give him a try this year and I'm just having some regret.  That's all.

11 minutes ago, CooL said:

Not sure I'm following here.  Todd Gurley is the #1 player in the league.  Kamara is 41 PPR points behind him.  Nobody is going to be debating whether or not he was worth the 2nd round pick.

You isolated the last 5 weeks to try and make your point about Gronk, so I used the exact same time frame to make my counter-point.  I don't know why that's hard to follow for you, but the bottom line is that over the past 5 weeks, Kamara has outscored Gurley by ~30 points.  If you want to flip flop to 'season long' points, then Gronk is currently 2nd, and you're still going to get flak.

If your only intent was to say 'wish I drafted Gurley' then that post belongs in the Gurley thread.  Because in the Gronk thread, you don't get to pick a single player and say 'what if'.  Because as I explained at length, and you glossed over, Gronk's value relies not only in his potential upside that could rival Gurley's at any point, but in his reliability that helped you avoid the opposite end of the spectrum.

If you want to discuss opportunity cost, then you don't get to look at just 1 side of the coin.

Would you trade Gronk for Gurley?  Sure, fine.  But what about Amari Cooper?  Jordan Howard?  OBJ, DJ, Crow, Hilton, Pryor, Aaron Rodgers, Jordy, D.Murray, Dez, Freeman...

So yeah, when you cherry pick a single player and say 'what if' while ignoring the other 90% of the field that Gronk's reliable and predictable production helped you avoid, then that's not a fair assessment of his true value to owners. 

4 minutes ago, CooL said:

I hear ya.  He certainly won me a few weeks.  And he's certainly contributed to a few losses, most noticeably last week which has me on the brink of elimination.  Combine that with a terrible RB situation on my team and that's why I'm a little overly salty. Apologies to the Gronk truthers here.  I've never really been a fan of this guy, always ignoring him because of his increased cost and perpetual concern for injury.  Thought I would give him a try this year and I'm just having some regret.  That's all.

I think we're all a bit confused about your bone to pick with Gronk specifically. He hasn't been a league winner by any means, but he's been solid more often than not and is the #2 TE on the season. There have been some colossal busts this season, but you're upset with Gronk because he's slightly underwhelmed compared to his sky high expectations.

29 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

You isolated the last 5 weeks to try and make your point about Gronk, so I used the exact same time frame to make my counter-point.  I don't know why that's hard to follow for you, but the bottom line is that over the past 5 weeks, Kamara has outscored Gurley by ~30 points.  If you want to flip flop to 'season long' points, then Gronk is currently 2nd, and you're still going to get flak.

If your only intent was to say 'wish I drafted Gurley' then that post belongs in the Gurley thread.  Because in the Gronk thread, you don't get to pick a single player and say 'what if'.  Because as I explained at length, and you glossed over, Gronk's value relies not only in his potential upside that could rival Gurley's at any point, but in his reliability that helped you avoid the opposite end of the spectrum.

If you want to discuss opportunity cost, then you don't get to look at just 1 side of the coin.

Would you trade Gronk for Gurley?  Sure, fine.  But what about Amari Cooper?  Jordan Howard?  OBJ, DJ, Crow, Hilton, Pryor, Aaron Rodgers, Jordy, D.Murray, Dez, Freeman...

So yeah, when you cherry pick a single player and say 'what if' while ignoring the other 90% of the field that Gronk's reliable and predictable production helped you avoid, then that's not a fair assessment of his true value to owners. 

I generally enjoy reading everything you typically write on here, but since when do you get to dictate where I post what?  Why would I go into the Gurley thread and say "Gee, I wish I drafted this guy instead of Gronk"?  How does that make sense.  I own Gronk.  I am disappointed in the value I've gotten for him.  So I'm coming to the Gronk thread to express that.  Gronk is supposed to be head and shoulders above his peers.  That's why he's the number 1 TE drafted.  He's supposed to "give you a weekly difference maker" at the TE position.  What's the weekly difference?  Is it 4 points per game?  There are 10 TEs that are within 44 points of Gronk, not to mention Kelce who is 29 points ahead of Gronk. How many RBs are within 44 PPR points of Gurley?  3.  Bell, Hunt, and Kamara.  And you in most leagues you start at least 2 RBs, further magnifying Gurley's value.

Nobody has to agree with me and I'm not going to continue trying to justify my stance.  Just my personal opinion and I'm disappointed in less than expected return given the opportunity cost.  

21 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Was looking for my quote above, and found this on the way.  Just a friendly reminder to everyone, predicting injuries is a fools errand.

Who's predicting injuries?

This is the kind of game we were expecting from Gronk. As long as he plays good down the playoff stretch we'll feel good about it.

On 11/21/2017 at 2:43 PM, TheLegacy said:

I'm expecting Gronk to eat this weekend. Miami has been terrible vs the TE.

Past 3 games the Fins gave up TD's to Dickson and OJ Howard with Cook going for 126 yards.

Gronk will get back on the TD track this weekend with 80+ yards. Count it.

2nd TD was an unexpected surprise.

7 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

"Through a table".  Translation?

Just now, FFCollusion said:

Rough translation:

Image result for through a table gif

Got it! ;)  Lol!

The "Chris Farley" interpretation = best interpretation!

Just saw a brief clip of a late hit that didn’t look good.  Owners might want to have a backup plan just in case the league steps in. Great timing?

Stupid play by him, but I feel like that that stuff happens all the time.  He got penalized, maybe a fine, I'd be shocked if he got suspended.  The recipient of the late hit appearing concussed doesn't help matters.

Huge fan of Gronk. However, I cant co-sign on that play. That could get someone hurt. You want to pull someone helmet off and fight them, go for it but go for someone's head when they are not looking, that's not cool. Suspension looming? I say yes.

Edited by nonstopfan

2 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Called frustration.  Was held 3 different times on that play.

Just now, reichl555 said:

Called frustration.  Was held 3 different times on that play.

That's not an excuse.

9 minutes ago, C10 said:

Just saw a brief clip of a late hit that didn’t look good.  Owners might want to have a backup plan just in case the league steps in. Great timing?

Yeah, this has a suspension written all over it.  Reminds me of the terrible timing on the OBJ suspension a couple years ago that cost some folks some titles.