Savatage79

Rob Gronkowski 2017 Season Outlook

14 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Okay, guy. 

He's not worth a 2nd round pick, where he usually goes. Outside of last 2 games, this thread was full of people venting and ranting about how bad he has been. 

Now all of a sudden he's a fantasy savior. 

Have fun drafting him next year in the 2nd and getting 9-10 games out of him. He averages 12 games a season, and that's including his first 2 years he's played 16 games (2010, 2011). He hasn't had a full season since then. 

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

He's not worth a 2nd round pick, where he usually goes. Outside of last 2 games, this thread was full of people venting and ranting about how bad he has been. 

Now all of a sudden he's a fantasy savior. 

Have fun drafting him next year in the 2nd and getting 9-10 games out of him. He averages 12 games a season, and that's including his first 2 years he's played 16 games (2010, 2011). He hasn't had a full season since then. 

He is not worth a second round pick? In PPR, he is the second ranked TE right behind Kelce (after missing two games) and is just outside of the top 10 WRs (after missing two games). How is this not worth a second round pick? 

A list of second round picks (ADP) per Fantasy Pros:

Demarco

Ajayi

Elliot

Cooper

Gurley

Cooks

Gronk

Dez

Baldwin

Fournette

TY

McCaffrey

He has currently outscored all but Gurley... from the tight end position... one of the hardest positions to fill in fantasy. 

And people rant all of the time whether it be about Gronk or anyone else. This is fantasy. This is Rotoworld. Shocker. 

He will be a second round pick again next year. And you know what, he might get hurt and he might not. This is the nature of football.

You sound bitter. 

1 minute ago, Grayson2401 said:

He is not worth a second round pick? In PPR, he is the second ranked TE right behind Kelce (after missing two games) and is just outside of the top 10 WRs (after missing two games). How is this not worth a second round pick? 

A list of second round picks (ADP) per Fantasy Pros:

Demarco

Ajayi

Elliot

Cooper

Gurley

Cooks

Gronk

Dez

Baldwin

Fournette

TY

McCaffrey

He has currently outscored all but Gurley... from the tight end position... one of the hardest positions to fill in fantasy. 

And people rant all of the time whether it be about Gronk or anyone else. This is fantasy. This is Rotoworld. Shocker. 

He will be a second round pick again next year. And you know what, he might get hurt and he might not. This is the nature of football.

You sound bitter. 

"in PPR"

This is where you lose me and I leave. PPR is rookie tier and makes bad players and bad weeks relevant. I'll move on now. 

i can't complain with gronk, i drafted him in the 2nd round of both my 12 team non-ppr league and playing for the chip this week. if anything, i love the peace of mind i get for not streaming TE"s. however gurley was picked before gronk in which i would've jumped on gurley no questions asked. 

29 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

"in PPR"

This is where you lose me and I leave. PPR is rookie tier and makes bad players and bad weeks relevant. I'll move on now. 

Ah, you are one of those guys.

Well in that case, we will look at his numbers in standard scoring leagues: Gronk is currently the #1 scoring TE and would currently be #6 among all WRs. Just for ***** and giggles, his total points would put him among the top 12 RBs. But keep telling yourself he is not worth a second round pick. 

And without hitting his escalators - wouldn’t want to risk actually having to pay the man his true worth

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

And without hitting his escalators - wouldn’t want to risk actually having to pay the man his true worth

Up to the All-Pro voters now. 

BB paying Gronk back for that BUF cheap shot that got him suspended.

12 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Up to the All-Pro voters now. 

BB paying Gronk back for that BUF cheap shot that got him suspended.

Eh - I just think the whole org is penny-pinching

36 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Eh - I just think the whole org is penny-pinching

He still gets the bonus if he's voted 1st team All-Pro 

56 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He still gets the bonus if he's voted 1st team All-Pro 

Travis Kelce may have something to say about that.

On 12/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, Grayson2401 said:

"Well in that case, we will look at his numbers in standard scoring leagues: Gronk is currently the #1 scoring TE and would currently be #6 among all WRs. Just for ***** and giggles, his total points would put him among the top 12 RBs. But keep telling yourself he is not worth a second round pick." 

He'll always have that size & length. He's still okay in a straight line but he can't run like he once did. Looking ahead, the 3rd RD is too high for me, probably for any TE. I do agree that the argument for taking him or Kelce that high is that their production offsets the risk. Todd Gurley is the player I targeted in the 2nd round of every league I was in. I was often drafting Kyle Rudolph in the 7th. More constructive is that if it's about the draft & value, then Zach Ertz owners are the ones who hit the home run at TE. Especially through the first eight weeks, the guy was gold! People were often getting him in what round, omg!? In the 12-team, .5ppr league I managed, Ertz came off the board with the 99th pick. TE is a single slot position in starting lineups & thus, there are often decent volume + matchup options to stream.  

Apparently Tom Brady didn’t “know” after the game that he never threw the ball to Gronk: "Really? I didn't know that," he said. "So, I didn't notice."

Maybe he is suffering from some post-concussion symptoms, as his wife suggested.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:33 AM, markrc99 said:

He'll always have that size & length. He's still okay in a straight line but he can't run like he once did. Looking ahead, the 3rd RD is too high for me, probably for any TE. I do agree that the argument for taking him or Kelce that high is that their production offsets the risk. Todd Gurley is the player I targeted in the 2nd round of every league I was in. I was often drafting Kyle Rudolph in the 7th. More constructive is that if it's about the draft & value, then Zach Ertz owners are the ones who hit the home run at TE. Especially through the first eight weeks, the guy was gold! People were often getting him in what round, omg!? In the 12-team, .5ppr league I managed, Ertz came off the board with the 99th pick. TE is a single slot position in starting lineups & thus, there are often decent volume + matchup options to stream.  

How would the third round be too high after he just had a healthy and extremely productive season? If Brady returns, I think Gronk is still a safe (late) second round option. Ertz was as good of a value in 2017 as anyone; no argument there. But Gronk is so far ahead of Rudolph, I am not sure the value is really there. Taking another player and waiting for a TE like Rudolph still relies on your second round pick not "busting" for that strategy to be successful. Gronk, assuming good health, is about as safe of a second rick pick as there is. 

I usually wait for TE, so I am not taking one side or the other here: Only that Gronk is a very good (late) second round pick. 

2 hours ago, Grayson2401 said:

"How would the third round be too high after he just had a healthy and extremely productive season? ... Gronk is so far ahead of Rudolph, I am not sure the value is really there. ... I usually wait for TE, so I am not taking one side or the other here: Only that Gronk is a very good (late) second round pick." 

I said that with TE being a single-slot position in most starting lineups, the 3rd Rd is too high for me. I acknowledged the argument that Gronk's production often offsets the risk. RB & WR, I always feel like I have to draft a lot of them. But I do take exception to "a guy like Rudolph", as I'm confident that if it were him who ended up in New England & Gronk in Minnesota, you'd be going on about Kyle Rudolph right now. Very comparable talent, but one plays for a SB contender with Tom Brady at QB. While the other languished on a stagnant offense that revolved around AP's 30 touches per. That changed last year & Bradford to Rudolph immediately rendered career production for the TE. I'm not the only one who thought that offense, as well as that of the Rams, were going to be much better.  

A rookie TE who did an awful lot with not many targets was O.J. Howard. Popular belief is that Evan Engram & Sterling Shepard will be afterthoughts in New York & perhaps so. Not with the group they have right now, I don't think. But back to Gronk, it doesn't really matter where you or I would take him. Fact is, given that his numbers are back up, late 2nd round is likely too late. I think he's pushed his way right back into the 1st rd, early 2nd! 

Edited by markrc99

23 hours ago, markrc99 said:

I said that with TE being a single-slot position in most starting lineups, the 3rd Rd is too high for me. I acknowledged the argument that Gronk's production often offsets the risk. RB & WR, I always feel like I have to draft a lot of them. But I do take exception to "a guy like Rudolph", as I'm confident that if it were him who ended up in New England & Gronk in Minnesota, you'd be going on about Kyle Rudolph right now. Very comparable talent, but one plays for a SB contender with Tom Brady at QB. While the other languished on a stagnant offense that revolved around AP's 30 touches per. That changed last year & Bradford to Rudolph immediately rendered career production for the TE. I'm not the only one who thought that offense, as well as that of the Rams, were going to be much better.  

A rookie TE who did an awful lot with not many targets was O.J. Howard. Popular belief is that Evan Engram & Sterling Shepard will be afterthoughts in New York & perhaps so. Not with the group they have right now, I don't think. But back to Gronk, it doesn't really matter where you or I would take him. Fact is, given that his numbers are back up, late 2nd round is likely too late. I think he's pushed his way right back into the 1st rd, early 2nd! 

Opportunity often outweighs talent in fantasy football. I do think Gronk is significantly better than Rudolph but that is only part of it. The best part about owning Gronk is not necessarily his talent but who is throwing him the ball and the volume his offense provides. 

And Gronk's ADP will definitely be closer to a late first or early second, barring injury, of course. I would have a difficult time taking him in the first but it would be hard to argue with anyone that chose to. 

On 1/1/2018 at 8:33 AM, markrc99 said:

Gronk and kelce if they were wr would have finished inside the top 10 for the reg season in ppr scoring, i doubt if you could predictably find that  production value  streaming off the waivers or in the 7th rd.  I guarantee u alot of championship teams had gronk-kelce-ertz on them.  TE is a slot if u have a weekly double digit producer that gives you a significant point differential over a competitor weekly because of scarcity value.

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Gronk and kelce if they were wr would have finished inside the top 10 for the reg season in ppr scoring, i doubt if you could predictably find that  production value  streaming off the waivers or in the 7th rd.  I guarantee u alot of championship teams had gronk-kelce-ertz on them.  TE is a slot if u have a weekly double digit producer that gives you a significant point differential over a competitor weekly because of scarcity value.

This.....competitive positional advantage warrants higher draft investment

36 minutes ago, dashoe said:

My championship team had Hunter Henry followed by Eric Ebron.

Early tight end sucks. 

9 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

My championship team had Hunter Henry followed by Eric Ebron.

Early tight end sucks. 

my team had kelce from day 1 so never had to waste valuable bench space scrounging for waiver te's and almost always won that position slot weekly although my competitor in the finals lost hunter henry and i immediately picked up ebron and gates.:o

13 hours ago, Joe Odam said:

"This.....competitive positional advantage warrants higher draft investment."

I'm sorry but my streamer, Jack Doyle, he ah, squish-a-Gronk-likah-a-lil-cock-a-roach-cha! e;

EDIT: there's some hand rolling action with that for emphasis....e;

Edited by markrc99

I don't think you can take Gronk in the 1st or 2nd.  There's too much variations in his games that he can win or lose your week depending on if he gets the ball.

1st and 2nd rd, you want a minimum of 10pts standard every week .

You're much better off grabbing a RB or WR with a higher floor and grabbing Kelce or Ertz in the 3rd.

Also the thing is outside of those 3, everybody is more or less the same.

So if you can draft someone who will project to get more overall points than those 3 you should be ok for most of the weeks.

31 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

I don't think you can take Gronk in the 1st or 2nd.  There's too much variations in his games that he can win or lose your week depending on if he gets the ball.

1st and 2nd rd, you want a minimum of 10pts standard every week .

You're much better off grabbing a RB or WR with a higher floor and grabbing Kelce or Ertz in the 3rd.

Also the thing is outside of those 3, everybody is more or less the same.

So if you can draft someone who will project to get more overall points than those 3 you should be ok for most of the weeks.

Gronk is arguably one of the most consistent players in fantasy, not just TEs. 

And the reason Gronk and the other elite TEs are so valuable is because all of the other starting options are about the same and well below the class of Gronk. You get a huge positional advantage at TE while also getting WR1/RB1 production.