Sign in to follow this  
elite

Chris Johnson 2017 Season Outlook

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:27 PM, 93_Confirmed said:

This is the year he finally gets another 2,000 yards. He'll do it in 15 games!

LOL wouldn't that be something but I don't see him ever doing that again. But CJ does have something to play for and that's going to give him the motivation to fight for this RB spot he needs atleast 550 yards to break the 10,000 Rushing Yard mark. The only worries is the first two weeks until Humphries get back

3 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

CJ2K is my first choice in this backfield.

Ellington is my second choice.

K.Williams isn't worth a waiver in my opinion.

Not going to debate, discuss, or argue it, just stating it, so my haters have something to quote down the road.

???  Haters?  You have to have or be something others want and can't have/be to be hated...right-!?

Nobody hates FFC.

5 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

FWIW

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20684253/arizona-cardinals-re-sign-chris-johnson-rb-david-johnson-put-ir

From ESPN Nation ARI Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss. The two bolded parts confuse me though.

Weinfuss track record: 

1. Last year before week 1, said CJ?K would play more than DJ (didn't happen)

2. Last week before week 1, said Patrick Peterson would shadow Golden Tate and not Marvin Jones (didn't happen)

Given what he's saying now, my confidence in Ellington just increased. 

I hate CJ but I'd bet he's going to lead the team in carries.  Anyone even dreaming to get a productive rb out of this backfield should wake up. 

Great matchup against Purdue this week.  If any of these Arizona guys are ever going to be usable, this is the week.  But I don't see any of these guys carving out enough of a share to be anything more than a desperation play.

2 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Great matchup against Purdue this week.  If any of these Arizona guys are ever going to be usable, this is the week.  But I don't see any of these guys carving out enough of a share to be anything more than a desperation play.

Lots of desperation going on with DJ down for the count.

I picked up CJ on the logic that none of the top 2 other backs on the roster are true "starting" Rb-types .  Williams is 5' 8 198 and Ellington is 5' 9 199 .  CJ has to get SOME carries, and if he has something left, we'll either see it right away or not, making him an easy drop in a week or 2

Edited by nk3323

I'm monitoring the situation, but given the lack of alternative options and Ellington's failed history (durability) when pushed into the true feature back role, I could see CJ2K being the ringleader in this backfield.

It will still in all likelihood be a committee, but I don't think that he's lost his speed to the point where he's useless.  He's still faster than linebackers and can get to the edge.

His involvement or lack thereof in the receiving game out of the backfield will likely determine how useful he is in most fantasy circles.

5 minutes ago, nk3323 said:

was the most productive back after yesterday's game.   Thoughts?

I don't see any of these backs worth starting unless another one of them gets hurt

Speaking Monday, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Chris Johnson could move up the depth chart for Week 3.

Johnson was easily the Cardinals' best runner in Sunday's narrow win over the Colts. He should get the first chance to establish the hot hand in Week 3 against the Cowboys, but Kerwynn Williams is unlikely to be phased out altogether. A washed Andre Ellington will do his best to change the pace. If at all possible, the situation is best avoided in fantasy leagues.

I think this guy deserves more hype than he's getting.  This is still the same offense that produced the #1 fantasy RB last year and now there's a chance Arians hands CJ the reigns a la DeAngelo Williams in 2015 when LeVeon went down.  

By the way, DWill was 32 when that happened, but still put up 200 fantasy pts in 10 games as starter.

55 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

This offense didn't produce the #1 fantasy back - That back produced the offense. CJ is nowhere near the talent Johnson is - exactly why he was cut in the 1st place and likely only back now because he knows the plays 

Agree that CJ is nowhere near DJ's talent level at this point in his career, but I don't care.  DeAngelo Williams was also nowhere near LeVeon Bell's talent level when Bell went down, but DWill won a lot of people their leagues that year.

David Johnson is talented, but it's not like his offensive line sucked.  Arizona's O-Line was #7 in run blocking last year, independent of David Johnson's performance per http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2016.

If Chris Johnson gets 20 carries a game, he will produce solid fantasy numbers in this offense.

14 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

Agree that CJ is nowhere near DJ's talent level at this point in his career, but I don't care.  DeAngelo Williams was also nowhere near LeVeon Bell's talent level when Bell went down, but DWill won a lot of people their leagues that year.

David Johnson is talented, but it's not like his offensive line sucked.  Arizona's O-Line was #7 in run blocking last year, independent of David Johnson's performance per http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2016.

If Chris Johnson gets 20 carries a game, he will produce solid fantasy numbers in this offense.

Sure. As long as the rest of the steeler offense comes to AZ too. They are a mess ... Johnson made that team. Good luck.

5 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Sure. As long as the rest of the steeler offense comes to AZ too. They are a mess ... Johnson made that team. Good luck.

Looks like Arians believes in him.  Feel free to keep ignoring.

Chris Johnson waited, believing all along he was good enough to help the Cardinals, believing his abilities as a running back have diminished little.

“I know how I feel,” Johnson said Monday. “When you watch the film, when I have the opportunity, you can still see the burst and the speed. It’s there.”

The Cardinals’ first game without starting running back David Johnson was a slog-fest for the offense through the first part of the game. The running game wasn’t effective enough in that time either.

But Johnson, the third back in the game behind starter Kerwynn Williamsand Andre Ellington, found some room to roam. He finished with 44 yards on 11 carries – Williams had 22 yards on nine carries, Ellington 11 yards on two attempts – and earned the second-half start.

“I liked what I saw in Chris,” coach Bruce Arians said. “He’s more than ready to go.”

Arians said Johnson figured to move up the depth chart, but whether he will start, “we’ll make that determination later.”

Arians noted that Johnson was among the league leaders in rushing in 2015 when he got hurt,which is what opened the door for David Johnson to burst on the scene in the first place.

Johnson was among the team’s final cuts before David Johnson’s injury brought him back. General Manager Steve Keim said Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 that Johnson on Sunday “showed that burst that I quite frankly thought was missing in the preseason.”

This was never a doubt from Johnson.

“I always know what I can do,” he said, adding that running hard was all he could control. Any move up the depth chart was not his decision, and he wasn’t going to dwell on it.

Johnson said he approaches the job the same, whether as starter or reserve, is the focus. He hasn’t forgotten being cut, but he said it won’t impact his production or effort.

“May make it a bigger chip on your shoulder or whatever, but I’m trying not to focus on that too much,” Johnson said. “I want to go out here and win at the end of the day.”

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Chris-Johnson-Makes-His-Push-To-Start/c5129bd5-93b4-406c-8a9f-e60e04b349d2

My theory.  CJ is a poor man's version of DJ.  He does all the things that DJ does, just not as well.  With DJ healthy, there's no reason to keep CJ.  All the Cards need is someone to spell DJ for a couple runs and a couple passes.  Why pay CJ 2 or 3 times more when you don't need him.  However, with DJ out, CJ becomes a valuable piece in the Cardinals offense again.  A piece that Williams and Ellington cannot match.  

Edited by ccimore