Rotoworld.com Forums

David Peralta 2017 Outlook

16 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Sitting today against a RHP. The counting stats are pretty terrible for a guy with 195 PA so far. Getting harder to hold on and I've been a supporter from the start (meaning I liked him as an OF4/5). 

Somehow still ranked as a top 40 outfielder in my league. Not sure how. Probably helps that we count OPS and he hits a lot of extra base hits

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I did this exercise last time people were considering dropping him. This time I was quite tempted myself. But last time I did this exercise he came alive, so will do it again and situation is similar, where he goes into a 6 game homestand.

Against: Lamet (R), Perdomo (R), Richard (L), Davies (R), Guerra(R), Anderson (R)

Noone particularly threatening, and if he plays all 5 games against righties I'm expecting good things. Cut him after the homestand if he doesn't produce.

I love Peralta but you guys may want to give Leury Garcia a look

Very similar numbers (with more RBIs), in less plate appearances because he wasn't up to begin the year

Seems to be quietly having a breakout year

I'm close to making a swap I think

Just when you're ready to bench/drop, he does just enough over the weekend to make you reconsider. 

Only 5 games coming up this week but no scheduled lefties...

5 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Just when you're ready to bench/drop, he does just enough over the weekend to make you reconsider. 

Only 5 games coming up this week but no scheduled lefties...

yep. And then that juicy coors trip after that. It's gonna be tempting to drop if he struggles during the week but I'm holding him just for that trip.

On 6/12/2017 at 6:13 AM, rlaalsrb said:

yep. And then that juicy coors trip after that. It's gonna be tempting to drop if he struggles during the week but I'm holding him just for that trip.

Great, I gotta hold and start him for 2 MORE weeks??? LOL

• 4 weeks later...

So um is this guy the most undervalued baseball player in fantasy right now? Potentiall leading off or at least batting second ahead of Lamb Goldy JD Owings and potentially pollock? I mean this guy is going to produce like crazy. Adam Eaton level prior to injury

20 minutes ago, 33legend said:

Why on earth is he sitting against a right-hander? Or is he so fragile that he needs a day off every third day? He's batting 318 against rhp. It's very strange.

When they face a larger than normal stretch of righties I notice he'll sit against one, generally during a morning or day game.  They made a commitment to keeping him fresh this year with consistent days off.  Kind of annoying but it's working.  He just keeps hitting.  

Edited by Cmilne23

Baseball is a grind, my friend. Players get rested once in a while. Peralta has a bit of an injury history too, so I would call it good managing.

Edited by elsegundo
1 hour ago, elsegundo said:

Baseball is a grind, my friend. Players get rested once in a while. Peralta has a bit of an injury history too, so I would call it good managing.

Peralta sits way more than a player getting rested once in awhile.

2 minutes ago, warningtrackpower said:

IMG_2490.JPG

Cal Ripken played in a time when salaries were manageable.  It's easier to push players when the financial repercussion isn't as severe.   Not that Peralta is breaking the bank, but MLB teams are protecting assets more than ever.  Gone are the days when guys took pride in suiting up everyday and logging 300 IP.  We live in a time where 200 IP is special and 145 games played is a true grinder.

Ripken chasing that record was ugly to me -- bad back -- struggling through the pain and frustration for a last place team going nowhere -- "no bench" baked into his contract. I remember a lot of fans got all teary eyed, and they sold some tickets. But it wasn't that impressive when it was so clear that a little rest would have helped the player and his team.

Peralta thread though ... the quiet steady is really encouraging. Top 25 OF in OPS leagues and still hasn't gone on the kind of tear we know he's capable of. Call me a satisfied investor.

Edited by bdy1
  • 2 weeks later...