elite

Carlos Hyde 2017 Season Outlook

Hyde is a solid player and puts up decent numbers when healthy. Aside from some questionable offensive playcalling, gameflow was usually working against San Fran more times then not.  50\50 on whether Kaepernick actually hurt Hyde's value overall but he's gone so hopefully their next QB will fit well into their offense.

Where do you take Hyde in redraft leagues this year?

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Carlos Hyde is not yet a "finished product" and has "a lot more to his game."

"I looked at him hard when I think I was in Cleveland and I had a good feeling he was going to be a great back then," Shanahan said. "I look forward to us helping him bring that out." Shanahan also said Hyde is the starting running back "right now." Overall, the coach's comments shifted between extremely positive and cautious, which makes sense considering Hyde has flashed when on the field while also struggling to stay healthy. Hyde should excel in Shanahan's system, but the 49ers also should look to add some quality depth.
Edited by elite

I'm very bullish on Hyde this year.  Kyle Shanahan did amazing things with Freeman/Coleman, so I think he can turn Hyde into a bonafide stud.

Obviously I have a few reservations:

1) QB - Unknown who it will be right now.  

2) Injury - Hyde is yet to play a full season in the NFL.  Do you spend a high pick on a guy who more than likely will only be part time?

3) Offense - this goes along with the QB bullet above.  SF has very little in terms of offensive power.  If they bring in some mid-level vet, (Hoyer, e.g.) and do not improve the WR corp or O-line, 8 man boxes could be a regular thing for Hyde.

4) Game Flow - SF stinks point blank.  So they'll probably be trailing again in the majority of their game time.

So with that said I would love to own Hyde, but at the right price.  We'll have to wait and see how the off-season goes for SF, but as it stands right now I would give him a 4-5 round grade.  People will take him ahead of there, but not me.

Alot of volume last year lead to nice performances. And chip kellys insistence on using him late in games, losing by quite a bit, running against preventative defenses.

The injuries are a big concern as well. Harris actually provided a nice spark. Draughn was a decent pass catching option out of the backfield. Shown it can work without hyde. Im very weary of hyde this year.

Shannahan is a plus, but hes also clearly not afraid to split the load and play the situation.

Ill probably be staying away, if possible.

Edited by vikingapocalypse

2 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Alot of volume last year lead to nice performances. And chip kellys insistence on using him late in games, losing by quite a bit, running against preventative defenses.

The injuries are a big concern as well. Harris actually provided a nice spark. Draughn was a decent pass catching option out of the backfield. Shown it can work without hyde. Im very weary of hyde this year.

Shannahan is a plus, but hes also clearly not afraid to split the load and play the situation.

Ill probably be staying away, if possible.

Agree.  As I said, I like Hyde in a vacuum, but there's too much unknown right now in SF.  I would easily take him in the later rounds, but you'll need to spend a 2 or 3 to grab him, and that's too rich for my blood.  

I'd love to see him get traded to a better team/contender that needs a rb like Carolina.  

Situation: Kelly's system was great for him.  Shanahan will be different, but this isn't the type of HC change that should raise red flags IMO.  Hyde looks to be their most talented piece on offense, so I have no doubts Shanahan will find ways to use him.

Draft outlook:  

It will be said a million times: he should provide RB1 numbers when healthy.  When healthy.

- I'm waiting to see what they do at QB and in the draft.  As of right now, if they only get a replacement level QB like Glennon, I bump him down into Miller/Ware ADP territory.  If they get a Watson/Kizer or a Cousins type difference maker at QB, he's probably in a tier with Ajayi and Ingram -- very good RB capable of winning you weeks, but questions around usage and/or durability.

- I can see Hyde slipping into the 3rd round of drafts due to those durability or coaching concerns and if he falls to me there I have to jump.  I think mid-to-late 2nd round is a fair ADP right now, in Standard scoring leagues.  He's proven himself a good NFL RB.  Stars need to get a little more aligned for him to turn in a dependable RB1 season.

I like the talent but health has always been an issue. Big thing will be who they bring in via free agency and the draft. He's had a horrible surrounding cast his entire career. Time for Lynch and Shanny to get some beginners luck going to try to jumpstart that offense. If he's being drafted late 2nd or 3rd I'm probably not touching him. He's a high ceiling guy that I'd feel better as a back end RB2 or flex since he's had so much trouble staying on the field 

Hyde may just be a guy that can't hold up to 20-25+ touches/game. Chip had no issue feeding him, even when games were out of reach, which helped him with a bunch of garbage time yards. But that also potentially led to him getting injured.

Put him in the Freeman role and the 49ers draft the Coleman role and I think the RBBC will work well. They have some decent pieces on the OLine.

On Friday, March 03, 2017 at 10:17 AM, 96mnc said:

I'd love to see him get traded to a better team/contender that needs a rb like Carolina.  

The more i think about this idea the more I like it.  There's no reason for a team that's in a complete rebuild to retain a rb of Hyde's caliber.  By the time they will be good he'll either be a free agent or broken.  Trade him now. 

12 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

The more i think about this idea the more I like it.  There's no reason for a team that's in a complete rebuild to retain a rb of Hyde's caliber.  By the time they will be good he'll either be a free agent or broken.  Trade him now. 

That does make sense to me. But is there even much of a market considering the current RBs in FA and the deep draft class?

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

That does make sense to me. But is there even much of a market considering the current RBs in FA and the deep draft class?

That draft class lost some luster this weekend. 

And I'd have Hyde at the top of the available NFL established RBs.

The football fan in me wants to see Hyde go to the Raiders or the Packers.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

I still think AP has a few great years left. 2-3 years.

With Hyde it is always the same trap people fall for.

"He looks like a stud. Look at that spin move!"

"He is a great 3 down back. Incredible first round talent!"

He is also very injury prone and his team sucks. Bites him and his owners in the a** every year. 

Mostly, his team sucks.

50 minutes ago, Winky said:

Mostly, his team sucks.

It's axually mostly injuries, I think.  Still produced like a mid-range RB1 when he was healthy last year.  Incredible as an RB to overcome such a poor team.  

But he is a "violent runner" and so you're always clinching to watch him run.  He's stressful (i.e. not fun) to own.

1 hour ago, Winky said:

The football fan in me wants to see Hyde go to the Raiders or the Packers.

Hyde on the Raiders would be amazing.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

It's axually mostly injuries, I think.  Still produced like a mid-range RB1 when he was healthy last year.  Incredible as an RB to overcome such a poor team.  

But he is a "violent runner" and so you're always clinching to watch him run.  He's stressful (i.e. not fun) to own.

I was a big advocate for Hyde last year at a 4th or 5th round price. 

If we're talking 2nd or 3rd and he's still in SF no thank you. 

Kyle Shanahan always features 2 RBs and throws a crap ton to his "X" receiver: HOU -> WASH -> CLE -> ATL -> SF

His fullback in Atlanta is also a free agent.  Great lead blocker.

SF has the second most cap space.  QB will either be Glennon or Hoyer (7-4 start in CLE together).

Break the bank for Alshon Jeffery. (Only true "X" in free agency).

If he can't get Alshon, he'll get Garcon and put up 1,200+ yards.

Bring over the fullback from ATL.

Sign an Andre Ellington as a prototypical Shanahan change of pace back.

The GM is his "yes man".  Kyle gets what Kyle wants.

His running backs always have great seasons.  Never be afraid of grabbing both of them.

Their defense is going to be miserable, lots of garbage time and cheap TDs.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

I was a big advocate for Hyde last year at a 4th or 5th round price. 

If we're talking 2nd or 3rd and he's still in SF no thank you. 

I mean... who else ya gonna take?  Assuming Miller still has Brock, Ware still has Reid, Lat is back in Oakland...  I'd take Ingram before Hyde right now but in the late 2nd round ... ?  Hyde scored more points per game than Ajayi.

5 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Strange... everyone I talk to thinks the draft is DEEP, especially after the combine. 

59 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

I mean... who else ya gonna take?  Assuming Miller still has Brock, Ware still has Reid, Lat is back in Oakland...  I'd take Ingram before Hyde right now but in the late 2nd round ... ?  Hyde scored more points per game than Ajayi.

Summary: The 2nd and 3rd round are beyond s---y this year.

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Summary: The 2nd and 3rd round are beyond s---y this year.

Same for wr when you think about it. 

3 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Strange... everyone I talk to thinks the draft is DEEP, especially after the combine. 

It is deep but I didn't see a bunch of guys that screamed they demanded to be drafted in the first or even second when taking into consideration the obscene amount of DL, TE, and DB talent that emerged.

Need a two down banger?  Yeah,  there's plenty. 

5 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

It is deep but I didn't see a bunch of guys that screamed they demanded to be drafted in the first or even second when taking into consideration the obscene amount of DL, TE, and DB talent that emerged.

Need a two down banger?  Yeah,  there's plenty. 

Zay Jones, JuJu Smith, Chris Godwin.... all can start day 1 and become REALLY GOOD NFL Players.

For a team like my Rams, a 2nd round pick of Zay Jones or JuJu Smith, while loading up on this really deep defensive draft (CB as well) with the rest of the picks, would DO WONDERS in addressing their offseason needs.

Edited by ponza88