elite

Carlos Hyde 2017 Season Outlook

It's weird to come into a players thread, and actually read a bunch of useful information and opinions about that actual player. Honestly...some great stuff here gentleman. 

I went all in on Hyde this year, drafting him in both my big money leagues. I've been hyping the guy up left and right to anyone and everyone I can on this forum. I too am a strong believer that, health permitting, Hyde has easy top 10 RB potential (yes even in PPR.) He has done exactly what I drafted him for outside of this week.

I had to work all day Sunday, but imagine my surprise when I noticed he had like 5 carries for 10 yards, and then nothing!! I didn't get any injury alerts, and at least he did re-appear late in the game which suggested he was still fine health-wise. 

I'm not usually a big fan of conspiracy theories, but the dog house scenario just makes too much sense to me. Have no idea what he may have said or did, but I also know that 5 carries ( at the time I thought Brieda has less too) is most certainly not enough totes to decide who the hot hand is/was. We also know he wasn't hurt, or the definitely wouldn't have risked putting him back in the game. 

In the end the Niners lost...again...which I'm happy as a Hyde owner to see. Hopefully he learned whatever lesson he  was supposed to, and hopefully Shanahan  learned a lesson or two as well. You can't bench your best player and expect to win a football game. It really is  that simple. I do hope we get a little more information later in the week, but as of right now, I'm not going to panic. No injury is great news for us owners, and as far as the whole hot hand thing, I really think that will sort itself out sooner rather than later...

Shanny starting to confuse me like his father did. You can't decide on a hot hand after only a few carries. Especially when Hyde beats teams up in the 2nd halves. I understand going with a hot hand approach after a game or two, but not a few carries.

I still think Hyde is going to be safe. Looking like a flex play right now until Shanny gets his head out of his a** though.

Edited by devaster

Shanny and Lynch are into analytics. Hyde is more a product of volume then efficiency. 

4 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Shanny and Lynch are into analytics. Hyde is more a product of volume then efficiency. 

Hyde is averaging 4.5 ypc this year and 4.4 ypc for his career.  That is very efficient running.

Edited by ccimore

5 minutes ago, ccimore said:

Hyde is averaging 4.5 ypc this year and 4.4 ypc for his career.  That is very efficient running.

That’s not what the advanced stats show. And therein lies the rub.

3 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

That’s not what the advanced stats show. And therein lies the rub.

What advanced stats are you referring to?

7 hours ago, ccimore said:

Advanced stats can lower your YPC?  I mean Hyde has a career of work on a trash team and still put's up decent showings whenever he plays.  Advanced stats can only say so much.

Maybe he can get traded to a decent team who wil appreciate what he can do. One can dream.

1 hour ago, Kyle87 said:

Advanced stats can lower your YPC?  I mean Hyde has a career of work on a trash team and still put's up decent showings whenever he plays.  Advanced stats can only say so much.

I'm not sure if you were following the dialogue correctly.  I was arguing for Hyde, and asking what advanced stats the poster was referring to that indicated diminished efficiency.

Just now, ccimore said:

I'm not sure if you were following the dialogue correctly.  I was arguing for Hyde, and asking what advanced stats the poster was referring to that indicated diminished efficiency.

Yeah and I was agreeing with you that despite what advanced stats might get linked real nfl production still stands there and looks pretty good.  Sorry for confusion.

My question is - even if you own Hyde and Breida, how are you supposed to decide who’s going to be the “hot hand”? It’s really just a crapshoot now. 

25 minutes ago, Sweetness09 said:

My question is - even if you own Hyde and Breida, how are you supposed to decide who’s going to be the “hot hand”? It’s really just a crapshoot now. 

I have Hyde in every one of my leagues.  I have Breida in three of those leagues.  In one, I'm sitting at 4-1 and my team is absolutely stacked.  I'm likely not playing either this week.

However, I don't really have that luxury in my other leagues.  I'm banking on the talent and usage prior to this debacle of a game and rolling out Carlos.  Regardless if they admit it or not, I think the hip flared back up for him for one thing in this game.  Breida looked great, but this is the first time he really has all season.  I mean, Carlos only received 5 carries.  How are you going to bench your workhorse after 5 carries?  Hyde will reestablish himself this week.

Edited by JoeJoe88

19 hours ago, fatbob166 said:

It's weird to come into a players thread, and actually read a bunch of useful information and opinions about that actual player. Honestly...some great stuff here gentleman. 

I went all in on Hyde this year, drafting him in both my big money leagues. I've been hyping the guy up left and right to anyone and everyone I can on this forum. I too am a strong believer that, health permitting, Hyde has easy top 10 RB potential (yes even in PPR.) He has done exactly what I drafted him for outside of this week.

I had to work all day Sunday, but imagine my surprise when I noticed he had like 5 carries for 10 yards, and then nothing!! I didn't get any injury alerts, and at least he did re-appear late in the game which suggested he was still fine health-wise. 

I'm not usually a big fan of conspiracy theories, but the dog house scenario just makes too much sense to me. Have no idea what he may have said or did, but I also know that 5 carries ( at the time I thought Brieda has less too) is most certainly not enough totes to decide who the hot hand is/was. We also know he wasn't hurt, or the definitely wouldn't have risked putting him back in the game. 

In the end the Niners lost...again...which I'm happy as a Hyde owner to see. Hopefully he learned whatever lesson he  was supposed to, and hopefully Shanahan  learned a lesson or two as well. You can't bench your best player and expect to win a football game. It really is  that simple. I do hope we get a little more information later in the week, but as of right now, I'm not going to panic. No injury is great news for us owners, and as far as the whole hot hand thing, I really think that will sort itself out sooner rather than later...

rest easy. 

shanahan was sending a message. the hot hand thing is bull****. 

'if I can bench the heart of this team for not doing his job be damn sure I'll bench you- if not worse'

if he was going to make the move to breida he would have done it 2 weeks ago instead of starting Hyde with a hip pointer. 

that start alone should tell you something. NFL head coaches are not a fickle bunch it takes weeks of horrible performance to supplant someone. 

On 10/9/2017 at 5:34 PM, Del Rio said:

Nothing to see here, just a team trying to secure the #1 pick

The browns will find a way, smh.

Shanny's comment after the last game makes me wonder if a lot of this has to do with Hyde's practice habits since Shanny specifically mentions practice when questioned about who will start/get the carries going forward.....

It's possible that Hyde has been somewhat complacent and with Shanny trying to rebuild the offense he may have annoyed the coach....

Clearly all speculation, but what else can we do? You can't claim he was benched for on field production this season.

Hopefully everyone is done with the games/sending messages and they can now get back to feeding him 20+ times a game.

I see this benching as lighting a fire under Hyde’s a**, it’s a contract year bud! No time to whine and make mistakes, get out there and pound that damn ball!!

I've never seen someones fantasy value tank so hard that did not involve a suspension or injury. Like, I thought he was gonna finish top 12 RB this year and now I am scared to start him. I'm still going to unless I hit some home runs tonight on the wire, but damn, what is the coaching staff thinking...

On 10/9/2017 at 10:23 PM, ccimore said:

DYAR, DVOA and success rate. 

It is a contract year and there is mention of offering the man some money.  Then he gets benched for a hot hand.  Leads me to believe they are telling him that nothing is guaranteed, and if he wants it, he needs to show it.

On the other hand, Shanahan liked Freeman/Coleman duo.  Possibly trying to spark the offense, but it is obviously not the way to go.  Niners are not the Falcons lol

11 hours ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

I see this benching as lighting a fire under Hyde’s a**, it’s a contract year bud! No time to whine and make mistakes, get out there and pound that damn ball!!

Maybe, but he was pretty much on fire before week 5. From what I saw, he was more or less the only one on fire in the SF offense, so it's not clear why you would need to add to that.

He is their leader in yards and TDs and only just behind Hoyer in fantasy points (and with a normal week 5 he'd be 1st).

The only fire I see necessary is Shanahan: fire that idiot.