elite

Carlos Hyde 2017 Season Outlook

Anyone have the stones to play him tomorrow?  

Just wish I knew whether the trade rumors are legit.  If they're fluff, I think Hyde will resume the dominant role.  However if they are, I'm sure they'll try to keep him healthy.  Last weeks bs doesn't bother me.  I tend to think it was an isolated incident.  But, this trade stuff..... I just don't know.

18 minutes ago, fatbob166 said:

To me it just shows what a joke of an organization the 49ers are right now.

You could not be more wrong.  The new regime has already proven itself in one off season.  Every single move Lynch and Shanahan have made has made total sense.  They turned over 66% of the roster, and created a competitive team from a historic disaster last season.  This team could just as easily be 4-1 as 0-5.  Last season's team was worse than its 2-14 record would indicate.  This is an organization that now has a very specific vision, combined with the determination to execute it.  I love what Lynch and Shanahan are creating in SF.

As for recent events, releasing Bo was the absolutely the right football move.  Watch the games.  He can't cover ground anymore.  His level of play this season has been barely better than replacement level.  At the same time, Foster is clearly a superstar in the making, if he can stay healthy.  When it was obvious that Bo was too stubborn and proud to admit his decline (not unlike AP), letting him go so that Foster could take over the leadership of this young and upcoming defense was the right thing to do.

Trading Hyde would also be the correct thing to do.  Hyde will not be a Niner in 2018.  At the same time, it will take an off-season or two to add the same level of talent that the defense now enjoys.  It is a total waste to have Hyde try to stick around for all that rebuilding.

What is happening in SF is real football, not fake football.  What the new regime is doing may screw up our make believe teams, but it is exactly what needs to be done to put the team in position to compete again in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

You could not be more wrong.  The new regime has already proven itself in one off season.  Every single move Lynch and Shanahan have made has made total sense.  They turned over 66% of the roster, and created a competitive team from a historic disaster last season.  This team could just as easily be 4-1 as 0-5.  Last season's team was worse than its 2-14 record would indicate.  This is an organization that now has a very specific vision, combined with the determination to execute it.  I love what Lynch and Shanahan are creating in SF.

As for recent events, releasing Bo was the absolutely the right football move.  Watch the games.  He can't cover ground anymore.  His level of play this season has been barely better than replacement level.  At the same time, Foster is clearly a superstar in the making, if he can stay healthy.  When it was obvious that Bo was too stubborn and proud to admit his decline (not unlike AP), letting him go so that Foster could take over the leadership of this young and upcoming defense was the right thing to do.

Trading Hyde would also be the correct thing to do.  Hyde will not be a Niner in 2018.  At the same time, it will take an off-season or two to add the same level of talent that the defense now enjoys.  It is a total waste to have Hyde try to stick around for all that rebuilding.

What is happening in SF is real football, not fake football.  What the new regime is doing may screw up our make believe teams, but it is exactly what needs to be done to put the team in position to compete again in the NFL.

Oh honey....

7 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Still sad to see bowman go like that.  Niners are better with him than without him IMO.

12 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Still sad to see bowman go like that.  Niners are better with him than without him IMO.

Bo was a warrior, but when a proud player can't face the reality of his decline, such that his presence becomes a hinderance to his uber-talented successor, it's time to move on.  He asked for his release, and the Niners showed him tremendous gratitude by eating a ton of dead money and bypassing trades that would have yielded some draft capital in return (because Bo did not want to go to the team or teams that were willing to trade for him).  

Bill Walsh made these sorts of moves all the time, before the fan base and media were ready to accept them.  It is par for the course in NE.  It is just smart, logical football.

I don't think you can say every decision they have made makes sense about a 0-5 team. But back to the point, anyone know what advantage there would be to spreading some false trade rumors before the deadline? To me it makes more sense they released that statement to get the wheels rolling before the deadline. 

The only thing that would make sense is to see how Hyde deals with adversity and all that bull****.

Since I consider that highly unlikely and judging from everything else they are for sure trying to trade him. 

6 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Midseason trades are so rare that it is very unlikely he is actually traded.

No he will be traded.. i would be shocked if he isnt

Is everyone going Brieda or Hyde??

Do they want to show Hyde off or keep him healthy for the trade?  Looking at McGuire vs Hydee/Brieda.  Unfortunately I need everything I can get, so the upside is needed.  If I was looking for a guaranteed 5 points, McGuire is the guy but I need the upside.  Currently starting Hyde.  

1 minute ago, tsh00k said:

Is everyone going Brieda or Hyde??

Do they want to show Hyde off or keep him healthy for the trade?  Looking at McGuire vs Hydee/Brieda.  Unfortunately I need everything I can get, so the upside is needed.  If I was looking for a guaranteed 5 points, McGuire is the guy but I need the upside.  Currently starting Hyde.  

I have a feeling we’ll get more info before gametime. If not, I think Hyde is probably who I’ll go with.

10 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I have a feeling we’ll get more info before gametime. If not, I think Hyde is probably who I’ll go with.

How confident are you?  Do you own both?  Is it an easy must start?

I have 0 feel for the situation right now... Not feeling great about running either guy out there tomorrow, but need to make the decision... 

Breida, Hyde, or McGuire - start 1 is an issue I have in 2 leagues. 

Have a feeling either Hyde blows up, or he is shelved to an even lesser role than last week. There's no in between on that.

As for the trade rumours. Hyde's real value as a really good but injury-prone RB im the final contract year is really tough to trade for. Could be cut just like Bowman if they really clean out the vets.

I'm now leaning Perine or AP over Hyde for their floor. Couldn't imagine it yesterday, but bitter reality imo.

5 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

How confident are you?  Do you own both?  Is it an easy must start?

I have 0 feel for the situation right now... Not feeling great about running either guy out there tomorrow, but need to make the decision... 

Breida, Hyde, or McGuire - start 1 is an issue I have in 2 leagues. 

I have both. Not confident at all about either of them. I think Hyde will get the first crack at it and if he performs well and the team can hang in the game, he'll get the majority of the touches. However, after what we saw last week, Hyde appears to be on a very short leash. If he starts out slow or the game gets out of hand, I think we'll see a lot of Breida. I'm hoping for some clarification on the situation before the game (which I think has a reasonable chance of happening).

1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

I have both. Not confident at all about either of them. I think Hyde will get the first crack at it and if he performs well and the team can hang in the game, he'll get the majority of the touches. However, after what we saw last week, Hyde appears to be on a very short leash. If he starts out slow or the game gets out of hand, I think we'll see a lot of Breida. I'm hoping for some clarification on the situation before the game (which I think has a reasonable chance of happening).

What news would make you confident about either player?  In my mind, these are the situations that provide clarity...

-(highly unlikely) Hyde is traded and Brieda becomes an immediate easy plug flex play

-(unlikely) Hyde is deemed more banged up than expected, deemed limited, and Brieda is a flex play

-(most likely) Hyde starts, no light shed on the situation

I am so unconfident in this situation.  Think I am going to roll out McGuire for the floor he provides.  Hyde could easily goose egg. 

I have to worry about Hyde, Hill and Montgomery this week (and Cohen).

With Hyde I estimate his chances of playing at 50/50. SF is already more or less out of contention so Shanahan can do whatever he pleases, and it would appear Hyde doesn't please him. If Hyde is healthy and playing he's a clear starter; given the uncertainty I have to value him at 50%.

Unfortunately, given the mess on my bench that still makes him a starter. Roll him out, boys!

c4jt321_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by Boudewijn

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

I have to worry about Hyde, Hill and Montgomery this week (and Cohen).

With Hyde I estimate his chances of playing at 50/50. SF is already more or less out of contention so Shanahan can do whatever he pleases, and it would appear Hyde doesn't please him. If Hyde is healthy and playing he's a clear starter; given the uncertainty I have to value him at 50%.

Unfortuantely, given the mess on my bench that still makes him a starter. Roll him out, boys!

c4jt321_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Start 1 - Hyde, Brieda, or McGuire

2 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Start 1 - Hyde, Breida, or McGuire

We're getting dangerously close to Assistant Coach territory, but I take McGuire because he has the best match-up (NE Swiss Cheese D).

Just now, Boudewijn said:

We're getting dangerously close to Assistant Coach territory, but I take McGuire because he has the best match-up (NE Swiss Cheese D).

Then remove McGuire to make it 100% relevant to this thread.  If you need to start either Hyde or Brieda in PPR this week, who do you take? 

I think I value Hyde and Breida same for the next game (meaning: not that great). However, I have to believe Hyde is going to be worth more ROS, especially after a trade. Gun to my head I probably play Breida today, which is a bit annoying because I can still pick up Breida.

I may pick up Breida in my other league though and hedge my bets.

27 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I think I value Hyde and Breida same for the next game (meaning: not that great). However, I have to believe Hyde is going to be worth more ROS, especially after a trade. Gun to my head I probably play Breida today, which is a bit annoying because I can still pick up Breida.

I may pick up Breida in my other league though and hedge my bets.

Yeah Hyde has top 5 ROS upside if he gets a perfect landing spot. Something like Baltimore or Seattle. The offensive isn't totally pathetic like NY and there isn't a designated GL back like Philly.

NE is another option but their RB situation is just a pain in the a** every week. Maybe it's because they don't have a talent like Hyde but who knows with that team.

16 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Yeah Hyde has top 5 ROS upside if he gets a perfect landing spot. Something like Baltimore or Seattle. The offensive isn't totally pathetic like NY and there isn't a designated GL back like Philly.

NE is another option but their RB situation is just a pain in the a** every week. Maybe it's because they don't have a talent like Hyde but who knows with that team.

Hyde would actually lose value in my eyes if he went to Seattle.  Their line is just a disaster, and has been the past few years.  With Yanda out the Ravens situation looks pretty meak as well.  

Philly or GB look like good candidates to me, especially with Hyde showing his versatility in the passing game.  I would say GB will play it old school and sit out the bidding war, with Philly sending a 4th-5th pick for Hyde as the most likely scenario.  I actually still think a healthy Hyde as the bell cow in a Shannahan offense is the best case scenario.  Call me crazy.