elite

Carlos Hyde 2017 Season Outlook

6 hours ago, phisouza33 said:

Shanahan is an idiot

Shanahan is a very smart coach with a very clear strategy. He doesn't give a hoot about your and my fantasy team, and he's building the team for 2019 (possibly not even 2018). He knows he has a very long road to travel, but each move he makes, is towards that goal.

The only question I have is why they didn't trade Hyde to get back some draft picks (they need an O-line more than I need my next coffee) but I expect this means they have a future in mind for him.

15 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Shanahan is a very smart coach with a very clear strategy. He doesn't give a hoot about your and my fantasy team, and he's building the team for 2019 (possibly not even 2018). He knows he has a very long road to travel, but each move he makes, is towards that goal.

The only question I have is why they didn't trade Hyde to get back some draft picks (they need an O-line more than I need my next coffee) but I expect this means they have a future in mind for him.

0-8 and claiming the Qb he just gave up a 2nd round pick for might not play this year... completely idiotic thing to say or even consider. His only saving grace is if this is complete BS coach talk like when he said he was gonna use a “hot hand “ approach at RB after Hyde was doing nothing but producing top 10 rb numbers. Like I said he’s an idiot. Lmao, yeah stick with this terrible QB and let JG sit the bench for the rest of the season, that will really get the team ready for next year! 

23 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

he's building the team for 2019

4 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

0-8 and claiming the Qb he just gave up a 2nd round pick for might not play this year

I highlighted the part you may have missed. John Lynch has a 6 year contract. Shanahan has a 6 year contract. They've always made it clear they are about rebuilding the team.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/49ers-Kyle-Shanahan-John-Lynch-taking-patient-11018287.php

“Doing it the right way means making whatever the best decision is that’s available,” Shanahan said. “Not, ‘Hey, we’ve got to make sure we look good in Year 1, so let’s go do this just so we have a chance to win a few more games.’ Does that help us in Year 2? If it doesn’t, then that’s not the right decision.”

13 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

0-8 and claiming the Qb he just gave up a 2nd round pick for might not play this year... completely idiotic thing to say or even consider. His only saving grace is if this is complete BS coach talk like when he said he was gonna use a “hot hand “ approach at RB after Hyde was doing nothing but producing top 10 rb numbers. Like I said he’s an idiot. Lmao, yeah stick with this terrible QB and let JG sit the bench for the rest of the season, that will really get the team ready for next year! 

Idiot is a bit harsh but it is a rather puzzling statement to make. You trade for a veteran QB with half the season left, I highly doubt the intent is to sit him so he can STUDY a playbook from now to ota's. The most valuable learning experience for both coach and QB is to have the QB take live snaps in a real game even if it;s a stripped down offense.  This is not a rookie QB that has to learn how to play QB in the NFL. 

35 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Idiot is a bit harsh but it is a rather puzzling statement to make. You trade for a veteran QB with half the season left, I highly doubt the intent is to sit him so he can STUDY a playbook from now to ota's. The most valuable learning experience for both coach and QB is to have the QB take live snaps in a real game even if it;s a stripped down offense.  This is not a rookie QB that has to learn how to play QB in the NFL. 

he should have playing time but then again our OLine is trash why take a chance of playing our future QB and take the chance of him getting injured. Shanahan system is complicated but very good and take time to learn. there already 0-8 and the only games they might have a shot at winning with or without Jimmy is week 9 vs Arizona, Week 13@Chicago, and Week 15 vs Tennessee

1 minute ago, phisouza33 said:

Idiotic thing to say then, whatever. Same with his “hot hand” garbage he was blabbering about. 

Hyde made it through 8 weeks and has been running hard despite limited running room. Also showed soft hands in the passing game and great power converting at the goalline. I think they keep him for the long haul.

5 hours ago, phisouza33 said:

Many experienced football observers believe differently:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870851/article/shanahan-49ers-might-not-play-garoppolo-this-year

Being GMs of fake football teams doesn't qualify us to be quaterback coaches, or even HCs with an intimate view of the entire offensive roster, especially the OL.  It is not "idiotic" at all to refrain from throwing a newly acquired, potentially valuable, long term asset on the field before they are equipped to have a reasonable opportunity for success.  It may hurt your fake football team or mine, but it unquestionably is the smart thing for the real football team, especially when the W/L record tells you that the season is already lost.

5 hours ago, frog34 said:

Hyde made it through 8 weeks and has been running hard despite limited running room. Also showed soft hands in the passing game and great power converting at the goalline. I think they keep him for the long haul.

Almost made the mistake of trading him to a potential playoff bound team for stefon diggs and then I thought about would i want to face hyde in the playoffs? The answer is no, I prefer to keep him on my bench and pas on the potential of Diggs than face him in the playoffs. JG could literally change the entire dynamic of the offense come week 13-16 and Hyde could become a beast. 

I would only trade him to a losing team. 

5 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000870851/article/shanahan-49ers-might-not-play-garoppolo-this-year

Being GMs of fake football teams doesn't qualify us to be quaterback coaches, or even HCs with an intimate view of the entire offensive roster, especially the OL.  It is not "idiotic" at all to refrain from throwing a newly acquired, potentially valuable, long term asset on the field before they are equipped to have a reasonable opportunity for success.  It may hurt your fake football team or mine, but it unquestionably is the smart thing for the real football team, especially when the W/L record tells you that the season is already lost.

X2.    Qb is not a job you just toss someone in with zero practice time with the 1s, or intimate knowledge of the playbook.   They are 0-8...this season is done.   Might as well put heavy practice time in JG and tank the rest of the year for a top pick.  Then u can deal that or use it if there’s a special player available.    It’s a good situation long term for JG to sit.

Don't buy the JG won't play crap! 9ers only have 2 QBs after releasing Hoyer, so JG is one hit away from seeing game action. Beathard had 1.5 solid games for a rookie nobody expected to do much, but since then defenses finally adjusted and now he looks like he doesn't even belong as a 3rd stringer. Unless Beathard steps up in a big way, JG will play soon enough. Will be rough for him, but playing time is the best way to get a head start going into next season. I don't think JG will be great or anything, but he sure as hell is much better than CJ Beathard with 2-3 weeks to get the basics down!

Edited by frog34

6 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I think it's smart to speculate that JG will play this season. They wanted him before the season and now they have him after half the season. They released Hoyer so if CJ goes down JG steps in automatically. He is a vet not a rookie so his focus will initially be understanding the basic workings of the offense and then getting some live reps to meld concept with real world. Shanny's statement is not about protecting a new QB because of a bad o-line or the season is lost it's about tempering expectations.  I read it as assume the plan is starting with the fundamentals and that includes our new QB and he will play when I think he is ready to play.

The shiny new QB is not going to sit the next 8 games without a single snap. He will play this season, it's just a matter of when he will play.  Right now CJ is light years ahead of JG in terms of knowing how to run the offense and that because he has had the preparation time and real game experience.  The staff will work overtime to prepare JG to be able to play this season even if it's a vanilla version of shannys offense because game action is a way to evaluate the QB for things like decision making under duress and movement and presence and throws and improvisation, that you can't replicate in practice and you don't want to wait until next season to quantify  when youer planning for your draft and free agent market offseason.

Edited by dashoe

17 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Don't buy the JG won't play crap! 9ers only have 2 QBs after releasing Hoyer, so JG is one hit away from seeing game action. Beathard had 1.5 solid games for a rookie nobody expected to do much, but since then defenses finally adjusted and now he looks like he doesn't even belong as a 3rd stringer. Unless Beathard steps up in a big way, JG will play soon enough. Will be rough for him, but playing time is the best way to get a head start going into next season. I don't think JG will be great or anything, but he sure as hell is much better than CJ Beathard with 2-3 weeks to get the basics down!

No ones saying it won’t happen or that an injury won’t force their hand.     Just that you don’t need to rush it.    The smart move is getting him prepared to succeed- you aren’t an “idiot” for

not throwing him in right now.   Qbs absolutely can get gun shy and start hearing footsteps if they aren’t comfortable.  

9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

No ones saying it won’t happen or that an injury won’t force their hand.     Just that you don’t need to rush it.    The smart move is getting him prepared to succeed- you aren’t an “idiot” for

not throwing him in right now.   Qbs absolutely can get gun shy and start hearing footsteps if they aren’t comfortable.  

You make it sound like he’s a rookies. Jimmy has been a backup long enough to know what it takes. I could see him sitting a few games, maybe 3 but all season would be ridiculous. If I was a 49er fan that would be very very annoying. 

It doesn't make any sense to sit Jimmy G the rest of the season. The team just traded a 2nd rounder for a guy in the last year of his rookie contract. He has limited starting experience. They need to know what they have in him a bit more before giving him a new contract or franchising him.

13 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

You make it sound like he’s a rookies. Jimmy has been a backup long enough to know what it takes. I could see him sitting a few games, maybe 3 but all season would be ridiculous. If I was a 49er fan that would be very very annoying. 

11 minutes ago, devaster said:

It doesn't make any sense to sit Jimmy G the rest of the season. The team just traded a 2nd rounder for a guy in the last year of his rookie contract. He has limited starting experience. They need to know what they have in him a bit more before giving him a new contract or franchising him.

What is you guys expect to happen?   Throw him in with a decimated offensive line and players he doesn’t know?    Running plays he doesn’t know?    Lmao

this isnt madden.   You set him up to fail and that’s exactly what will happen.   So then u don’t renew his contract because clearly he “can’t play.”      

I think they already know what they have-  getting him pounded won’t do any good.   

Just now, Impreza178 said:

What is you guys expect to happen?   Throw him in with a decimated offensive line and players he doesn’t know?    Running plays he doesn’t know?    Lmao

this isnt madden.   You set him up to fail and that’s exactly what will happen.   So then u don’t renew his contract because clearly he “can’t play.”      

I think they already know what they have-  getting him pounded won’t do any good.   

They have a running game and some solid receiving options. Trent Brown is back. They will have a bye to get healthier. He will be playing after the bye.

First off im a huge niner fan i rather them sit Jimmy for the year, were not going no where this year shanahan wont get fired either. Jimmy G is not a rookie hes a Pocket QB and can throw the ball very well hes proved that in games and during pre-season hes been learning from the best QB you can learn from. 49ers wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick thats almost a first round for Jimmy if they didnt think he could do the job. Our O-Line is trash right now they need to get a better O-line this this offseason to protect Jimmy G

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

They have a running game and some solid receiving options. Trent Brown is back. They will have a bye to get healthier. He will be playing after the bye.

He’ll be playing when the coaches feel he’s ready to run the offense.    They have not committed to any timeline.  

isn't there a JimmyG thread on page one?

i understand how much the QB play going forward affects Hyde, but ... if i wanna read Jimmy debate i'll go to Jimmy's thread, no?

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

[Guys, if you think someone's posting off-topic stuff in a thread, report it to us -- complaining about it in-thread just compounds the mistake and makes it worse for everyone.  On this specific case, some amount of debate and speculation over who's going to be running the 49ers offense is to be expected in a thread about a 49ers running back, so just let it go.]

Garcon out (which sucks, get well soon Pierre). I think that means more balls for Kittle and Goodwin, but Hyde (and Breida) should profit too.

3 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Garcon out (which sucks, get well soon Pierre). I think that means more balls for Kittle and Goodwin, but Hyde (and Breida) should profit too.

Breida has been limited this week with a wonky knee ... don't think he's gonna miss the game, but it may lead to a bit more work for Hyde.  

I traded or basically gave Hyde away for Diggs and I have slight sellers remorse because I believed in his talent and volume potential to become a top 10 rb in this offense. Looking forward it's looking like Breida is going to command more touches in this offense  which should hurt Hydes production becuase I don't see sanfran getting a lot of redzone opps and moving the chains.  Maybe JG saves hydes deteriorating fantasy producton in ppr with alot of checkdown passes but I can't hold Hyde through an unfavorable schedule with questions at QB and a passing attack that lost it's best wr. Massive erosion in his situation