Bravesfan155

Johnny Cueto 2017 Season Outlook

I had read after his most recent start against the Dodgers that he was dealing with a blister on one of his fingers on his pitching hand. His velocity, particularly on his fastball, was a few mph slower. In that game, his velocity began to creep back up to normal.

I wasn't able to watch the last game against the Reds, but it appeared that he pitched pretty well outside having to deal with his team's fielding errors.

Overall, he has pitched pretty well, but has run into big innings that have sabatoged his outings. I remain hopeful that the issues were entirely related to that blister.

36 minutes ago, Beakman said:

Check out this studly lineup the G's are rolling out against Kershaw today:

3B
 Eduardo Nunez (R)
LF
SS
 C. Arroyo (R)
C
 Buster Posey (R)
1B
 Mike Morse (R)
RF
2B
 Joe Panik (L)
CF
 G. Hernandez (R)
P
 Johnny Cueto (R)

Yea he has a very small chance to get a win today. I'm just hoping for a ND with good ratios

What's up with the scheduling this year? Cueto has had to face the Dodgers in three of last five outings. When he's not playing the Dodgers, he's playing the Reds. I know the schedules are un-balanced but this seems too concentrated.

is anyone else noticing this?

Well, I traded for him on Sunday, clearly he has to completely suck now. 

Was not impressed with his stuff in the first. Can't believe I bought the name and not the reality. 

Edited by Mickey Donovan

12 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Welcome aboard!  If it makes you feel any better, he's kinda sucked all year.

24 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Was not impressed with his stuff in the first. Can't believe I bought the name and not the reality. 

making the trade

tenor.gif

I don't know if the numbers back this up, but it has seemed that Cueto's problem has been the early innings -- he seems to give up 2-3 quick ones and then settle in for 6, sometimes 7 innings and end up with an okay line.  It's felt that way for a couple years of owning him, honestly -- the numbers say pitchers usually have a harder time the third time through the order, but Cueto seems like a guy who needs to fall behind on the scoreboard before he really get going.

Shouldn't the 3rd run against Cueto be unearned (the one in the 3rd inning)?

Here is the line for the inning:

- Utley safe at first on throwing error by second baseman Panik

- Seager singled to right, Utley to second

- Turner sacrificed to third, Utley to third, Seager to second

- Bellinger lined out to first

- Utley scored, Seager to third on wild pitch by Cueto

- Grandal flied out to center

Utley would have never been on base, plus the inning would have been over without the error. So, I would assume this should eventually be changed to unearned, right?

Was that 3rd run really earned? Utley reached on an error and there were 2 outs when he scored. The requirements for unearned runs confuse the hell out of me sometimes haha

That's odd, it was initially ruled as unearned and they changed it to earned. I'm as confused as you. Without the error, Utley wouldn't have been on base. I'm not sure if the wild pitch changes anything.

I wish there's someone that would try to buy low on this guy in my league.. we are probably looking at 2016 Greinke this year.

4 minutes ago, underdog08 said:

I wish there's someone that would try to buy low on this guy in my league.. we are probably looking at 2016 Greinke this year.

Part of the issue is that his defence has been pretty "meh", and he's a guy that does not do well when his confidence is shaken. He just looks uncomfortable on the mound right now, but I think he'll figure it out.

One thing that concerns me, though, is that he's been a better pitcher the 1st half of the season for career and worse the 2nd... I hope that trend is reversing.

I'd probably be buying low if I didn't have him, but it would depend on the deal (of course). His BABIP looks fine, his velocity is down though, and his other stats looks pretty normal to me... 

21 hours ago, warningtrackpower said:

That's odd, it was initially ruled as unearned and they changed it to earned. I'm as confused as you. Without the error, Utley wouldn't have been on base. I'm not sure if the wild pitch changes anything.

Looks like the error was changed to a hit, which makes that an earned run instead of unearned.  Had it been kept an error, then yes it would not be earned, basically any run that scored:

* by someone who reached by error is not earned

* Any runs that come after the 3rd out should of been recorded had their not been errors is not earned. 

The one I guess I used to be a little confused about when I did stats was that if a pitcher makes an error, like throws the ball away on a ground ball, that runner would not be earned if came around and scored...BUT...if P throws a wild pitch (which is an error on the P?) it is.  I guess ultimately its like fielder vs pitcher, when he throw the P he is the pitcher, when he fields the ball off the rubber, he is like any other fielder, like if he throws the ball out of play, if he is touching the rubber 1 base awarded, if he is a fielder, its 2. 

3 hours ago, davidgoretiz said:

Doubt they would get that much for him.  What did the Royals give the Reds for him 2 years ago?  Finnegan?  Which was a solid P prospect, but you figure his struggles with Royals after that deal probably hurts his market a little.  Seems like the Yankees from a need standpoint would be a good fit and maybe what they have prospect wise could pull it off...

1 minute ago, jdbob11 said:

Out of steam at 31 years old.  Turrible. 

I know the numbers aren't good but I haven't been able to watch any of his starts this year. He's giving up the long ball more than he's ever done before I believe. What's wrong with him? It seems like he still has the stuff and gets plenty of swinging strikes. 

Just now, BostonCajun said:

I know the numbers aren't good but I haven't been able to watch any of his starts this year. He's giving up the long ball more than he's ever done before I believe. What's wrong with him? It seems like he still has the stuff and gets plenty of swinging strikes. 

I watch most of his starts, just complete inconsistency, has good movement but also throwing way more meat balls than ever.  

1 minute ago, BostonCajun said:

Yeah I am confused as well, I mean he has 4 IP and 7 K's so what is amiss here?   Is Cueto a buy low or a sell low?

1 minute ago, Zig Zag said:

Yeah I am confused as well, I mean he has 4 IP and 7 K's so what is amiss here?   Is Cueto a buy low or a sell low?

Lots of first pitch "get me over" meat balls.  I guess he thinks major leaguers arent going to swing at a BP ball on the first pitch or something.

Just now, jdbob11 said:

Lots of first pitch "get me over" meat balls.  I guess he thinks major leaguers arent going to swing at a BP ball on the first pitch or something.

Definitely something that is fixable. I would think he's a solid buy low but I could be wrong. I just find it hard to believe that he's just fallen off all of a sudden. 

3 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Definitely something that is fixable. I would think he's a solid buy low but I could be wrong. I just find it hard to believe that he's just fallen off all of a sudden. 

Its 11 starts and 14 hrs so far.  You would think he would have fixed it by now lol.