Red Sox Nation

Charlie Morton 2017 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

long post

No.

Umpires can make mistakes, but people rightfully expect them not to.

My first response was about posting that stupid tweet statement that it was a strike. That is idiotic.

But maybe that is too difficult to understand. What do I know?

17 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Oh my gosh can we stop whining about whether one pitch was a strike or not. He threw a 99mph fastball with movement. That's all I wanted to portray. That this isn't "the same old Charlie Morton". 

Yeah, oh my gosh.

Why are you whining about something, instead of trying to understand first what was said, cos it was clearly not about how Morton pitched at any point. It was about that the twitter guy is an idiot.

Whatever.

18 minutes ago, JCD said:

No.

Umpires can make mistakes, but people rightfully expect them not to.

My first response was about posting that stupid tweet statement that it was a strike. That is idiotic.

But maybe that is too difficult to understand. What do I know?

What's difficult for you to understand is that isn't the terrible call you're making it out to be. Pitchers get away with far worse every single night. If you're that offended by it, then start a brand new thread...or contact MLB...or contact the umpires' union...or perhaps your local representative. You posting that tweet and getting all bent out of shape and offended about a pitch that was >< close and probably called a strike 99/100 times on a pitch where the catcher didn't even have to move his glove...well, it just doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1

I still have high hopes for Charlie, but there's no way around it: lefties belted him today. I think he'll bounce back, even though he'll face a healthy Tigers team next week. 

I'm keeping faith but damn I wish I could just start this guy for his first three or four innings. 

They should piggyback him with Devenski - insta-ace.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

They should piggyback him with Devenski - insta-ace.

I was thinking the same thing! 

1 minute ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

So, if the results are the same old Charlie Morton -- ie, 4+ ERA, 4 FIP flat, 1.40 WHIP -- can we say he's the same old Charlie Morton?

I watched a few outings. His stuff looks fantastic, virtually unhittable when he got all those Ks in a row.

If he can stay heathy I think his numbers will catch up to his stuff.

A little worried about his start tomorrow at home against Detroit.  Their line-up is at full-strength for the most part but hasn't really clicked quite yet.  Morton has somewhat of a reverse split this year but in his career he's been a bit better against righties so the Tigers' righty-heavy line-up might not be as imposing.

More of a deep-league play maybe?

Not starting him... I can totally see him cruising along for three innings today and then unraveling the second time through the order as usual. 

I look at him as more of a match-up play, and I have a bad feeling about today's start. Hope I'm wrong... 

From @jakemkaplan, Astros beat writer on twitter. Feels about right.

Charlie Morton ERA by inning
1st: 3.00
2nd: 0.00
3rd: 1.00
4th: 2.00 
5th: 13.00 
6th: 7.71

Worthless.  Cant get through more than 2 or 3 innings.  Drop city for this jamoke. 

6 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Worthless.  Cant get through more than 2 or 3 innings.  Drop city for this jamoke. 

Numbers aside, I think he's pitching pretty well. He got two key double play balls and the Iglesias hit was bad luck.  Until the 5th!

He's thrown a couple of nice change-ups tonight too.

I think he's going to pay big dividends as the year goes on.  He's never pitched in the AL before and he's a completely different pitcher than before.  I'm still buying even after the three solo home runs in the 6th tonight.