Red Sox Nation

Charlie Morton 2017 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Magoo said:

He's thrown a couple of nice change-ups tonight too.

I think he's going to pay big dividends as the year goes on.  He's never pitched in the AL before and he's a completely different pitcher than before.  I'm still buying even after the three solo home runs in the 6th tonight.

Was this meant to be in the Berrios thread..?

1 minute ago, Csiebert5 said:

Was that a serious rhetorical question.

2 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

I kid.  My comment about the three homers was in reference to Morton's 5th/6th inning implosions.

I really wish the "trash/garbage" posts in the player threads when the pitcher is like six outs or so in would stop.  It does provide some insight, though, into certain posters' approaches.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I really wish the "trash/garbage" posts in the player threads when the pitcher is like six outs or so in would stop.  It does provide some insight, though, into certain posters' approaches.

Little reverse psych never hurt anyone haha. 

37 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Numbers aside, I think he's pitching pretty well. 

This basically sums up Charlie Morton's year. When will the numbers catch up, if ever?

3 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Little reverse psych never hurt anyone haha. 

I hear you, man - and I am guilty of it too, on occasion.  Takes some discipline to keep it in the GD threads!

1 minute ago, wily mo said:

morton_headstone.jpg

I would insert "particularly the 5th and 6th Innings" 

• Like 1

I wonder why he died so relatively young?

19 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I wonder why he died so relatively young?

too many high stress innings

• Like 2

Big time step in the right direction yesterday. Finished strong for once, basically pitched reverse of what he's been doing. Tons of ground balls too. For all the hubbub he's 3-1 with a 3.64 ERA, 3.39 xFIP, and 10.31 k/9 in May. And if he gets Matt Holliday out instead of giving up a 3 run bomb, we're talking near top 15 numbers for the month. He's beaten himself with the long ball and way too many walks. If he's able to be more efficient, get a few more grounders, and drop his walk rate closer to 3.00/9 moving forward, he should be an SP3.   

Edited by Red Sox Nation

His stuff is so filthy, he earned himself a paid vacation on the Disabled list

Edited by Dr. Whom

28 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

At least he gave you a 4.37 ERA and 1.37 WHIP

4.06 ERA overall. Won half his starts, 65k's as well. And he was (4-1) with a 3.93 ERA, 11.29 k/9, 1.28 WHIP past 30 days. But yeah, no one wants a pitcher like that, you're right. Sheesh, get over the hate. 

• Like 2

My recollection is that this type of injury generally means at least six weeks with no pitching and usually takes several months to fully heal (and can often linger in a frustrating way). Is that accurate?

Ground Chuck, back in an old familiar place, the DL. It has always been about health with this guy.

26 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

4.06 ERA overall. Won half his starts, 65k's as well. And he was (4-1) with a 3.93 ERA, 11.29 k/9, 1.28 WHIP past 30 days. But yeah, no one wants a pitcher like that, you're right. Sheesh, get over the hate. 

Yea transposed the ERA number in my haste...

I "hate" out of love! Out of concern for my fellow Rotoworld members' ratios. Seriously though, I've been duped by the Charlie Mortons of baseball literally for years -- you buy all-in on the sparkling peripherals and wait patiently for the results that never come, for one reason or another.

I fell into the same trap again this year--but after two starts finally realized I'd seen this movie one too many times before.

That's not to say peripherals (eg, SwStrk%, GB/FB, K/PA) aren't important. They still are paramount. But guys like Charlie Morton who suddenly "figure something out" are super sketchy. Best to avoid the fringes of the SP pool.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Yea transposed the ERA number in my haste...

I "hate" out of love! Out of concern for my fellow Rotoworld members' ratios. Seriously though, I've been duped by the Charlie Mortons of baseball literally for years -- you buy all-in on the sparkling peripherals and wait patiently for the results that never come, for one reason or another.

I fell into the same trap again this year--but after two starts finally realized I'd seen this movie one too many times before.

Charlie Morton has been my fleeting yet failing love affair for years. He's shown some real flashes this year, but agreed he's done that before. The overall numbers do leave a lot to be desired, but the amount of wins (I know, overrated and fluky stat, but he'll get his playing for the Astros) and k's he racks up aren't easily findable. Idk how long he's out, but there's still 3.65 ERA potential here (he's at 3.64 in May) . The WHIP is another story tho..