BlakeP42

Odell Beckham Jr 2017 Season Outlook

I think I'd be worried about him being a decoy this week, if he was active.  Seems like he's not past the proper point in the injury timeline to be returning yet.

Not an expert obviously but I dont see them sending Odell out there as a decoy considering his injury is to his ankle. If it was shoulder or hand maybe but something to his foot/ankle would be easily noticeable to a defense or D coordinator that hes not any threat based on his ability to run routes right at the start of the game. If hes not cutting and running full speed how much of a decoy could he really be?

Point is if he ends up playing Monday Id think it would be at his normal Odell workload. No sources just speculation

1 minute ago, Packerguy55 said:

Not an expert obviously but I dont see them sending Odell out there as a decoy considering his injury is to his ankle. If it was shoulder or hand maybe but something to his foot/ankle would be easily noticeable to a defense or D coordinator that hes not any threat based on his ability to run routes right at the start of the game. If hes not cutting and running full speed how much of a decoy could he really be?

Point is if he ends up playing Monday Id think it would be at his normal Odell workload. No sources just speculation

Agree with this.  You don't activate your best player just to have him run sprints.  You make him inactive if he can't be a part of the play book where the ball goes his way.  If he's active I expect his normal workload.

The chances of him suiting up as a decoy are quite slim IMO. Just don't see the Giants trotting out our present and future just to take some heat off or Marshall and Shep.

18 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Week 5 vs. LAC is the most realistic return date imo. 

LOL where are you getting this nonsense?!?

He was close to playing last week. He practiced all week. He's playing MNF, book it. 

4 hours ago, furbz420 said:

The chances of him suiting up as a decoy are quite slim IMO. Just don't see the Giants trotting out our present and future just to take some heat off or Marshall and Shep.

Agreed.  Although I still don't expect him to play Monday night.

Odell loves attention and what better way to get it than to return from a "6-8 week" injury in four on Monday Night football.

Last year with the hip he said he was only 85 percent when he was left off the report completely. I can say as a career owner of Beckham and all his dings, he's never played a decoy

Edited by charliehustler

I've never owned OBJ in any league and I don't regret it. He is one of the true elite fantasy players but what a headache he must be to own sometimes

May I present to you guys  2013 Roddy White? 

I know he was towards the end of his career but I have some numbers for you guys to consider. 

2012 season he was 31 years old he caught 92 balls for 1351 and 7 tds. So we can throw the age factor out. 

During the summer (August) heading into the 2013 season he suffered a high ankle sprain and he tried to play through it, he downplayed the injury after week in and week out of horrible performances and later he admitted that it severely hampered him and he was indeed used as a decoy. During the first 11 weeks his best game was 4 catches for 45 yards. Week 12 he caught 10 balls for 143 yards. He finished the final 4 games looking like normal Roddy with good games.

Falcons were 1-4 and lost Julio (week 5) heading into their bye week. This was a team that was supposed to contend for a Super Bowl but the season was already lost heading into the bye. Roddy rested weeks 6, 7 and 8. So basically he rushed back to play, re-aggravated the sprain trying to play thru it and rested a month during the season and finished with historically low numbers aside from his first couple seasons and final season in the league.

Key takeaways: 

Being the competitor OBJ is I know he wants to be back out there stat but I hope he's smart with this and takes as long as he needs to get to 100% 

Don't rule out coaches asking him to be a decoy.  This is a cut throat league with lots of pressure especially on coaches. Giants believe they're contenders this year and have the best team they've had in a while. Coaches look for every little advantage they can get and they need to win Monday. Not do or die but it will be tough to start the season 0-2 heading into Philly. 

Plenty of coaches have histories of using star players that are less than 100% as decoys.

Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham are included on that list.

If you think the coaches won't use Odell as a decoy if they gorram feel like it, you're kidding yourselves.

I had Alshon Jeffrey a couple years ago.  When he played he was great but he was the most frustrating player to have during the year.  At #5 I'm glad I stuck to my guns and went Evans over OBJ.  Thought it may have been a mistake but couldn't risk it after experiencing Jeffrey years before

7 hours ago, Asian Sensation said:

May I present to you guys  2013 Roddy White? 

I know he was towards the end of his career but I have some numbers for you guys to consider. 

2012 season he was 31 years old he caught 92 balls for 1351 and 7 tds. So we can throw the age factor out. 

During the summer (August) heading into the 2013 season he suffered a high ankle sprain and he tried to play through it, he downplayed the injury after week in and week out of horrible performances and later he admitted that it severely hampered him and he was indeed used as a decoy. During the first 11 weeks his best game was 4 catches for 45 yards. Week 12 he caught 10 balls for 143 yards. He finished the final 4 games looking like normal Roddy with good games.

Falcons were 1-4 and lost Julio (week 5) heading into their bye week. This was a team that was supposed to contend for a Super Bowl but the season was already lost heading into the bye. Roddy rested weeks 6, 7 and 8. So basically he rushed back to play, re-aggravated the sprain trying to play thru it and rested a month during the season and finished with historically low numbers aside from his first couple seasons and final season in the league.

Key takeaways: 

Being the competitor OBJ is I know he wants to be back out there stat but I hope he's smart with this and takes as long as he needs to get to 100% 

Don't rule out coaches asking him to be a decoy.  This is a cut throat league with lots of pressure especially on coaches. Giants believe they're contenders this year and have the best team they've had in a while. Coaches look for every little advantage they can get and they need to win Monday. Not do or die but it will be tough to start the season 0-2 heading into Philly. 

what in the world makes the giants think they are contenders this year lol

7 hours ago, Robrain said:

Plenty of coaches have histories of using star players that are less than 100% as decoys.

Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham are included on that list.

If you think the coaches won't use Odell as a decoy if they gorram feel like it, you're kidding yourselves.

Yep, I'm concerned about this as well. I never understood the whole decoy thing. Because unless OBJ can't hurt the ankle any more, what's the point of using him out there as a decoy? I would think it would be counterproductive to flirt with additional swelling etc just for the sake of being a decoy as opposed to just letting him rest one more week.

37 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

what in the world makes the giants think they are contenders this year lol

Maybe cause they were legit contenders last year?

This year they've added more pieces and Ben Mcadoo led them to an 11-5 record in his first year as coach? They lost to the Packers in the Wild card without their best defensive player in JPP. Giants defense was really good last year and it's supposed to be better this year. On offense this is the best receiving corp Eli has ever had. All that and I'm not even a Giants fan by any means. 

22 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Maybe cause they were legit contenders last year?

This year they've added more pieces and Ben Mcadoo led them to an 11-5 record in his first year as coach? They lost to the Packers in the Wild card without their best defensive player in JPP. Giants defense was really good last year and it's supposed to be better this year. On offense this is the best receiving corp Eli has ever had. All that and I'm not even a Giants fan by any means. 

None of that matters if he can't do anything with it. He was inexcusably awful. Like he never played a regular season snap before. I'll chalk it up as a Week 1 outlier but the excuses are done Monday Night.

26 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

None of that matters if he can't do anything with it. He was inexcusably awful. Like he never played a regular season snap before. I'll chalk it up as a Week 1 outlier but the excuses are done Monday Night.

Sounds like someone that is 0-1. Are you expecting them to bench Eli if he starts 0-2? Eli has been know to have an awful game and then follow it with a 6TD game.  They are playing for real and don't care about our fantasy world so they really don't owe you an excuse or explanation.

as for Odell I hope they sit him until he can practice in full. 

30 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

Totally agree with him. However, we play, so deal with it Odell. Figuring 2 TDs or total decoy. Perfect week as I have a team with him and a team going against him. Just wondering which way (or both ways) I'm going to get bent over. 

1 hour ago, Conscious Pilot said:

Decoy Situation. 

Yeah if you have a good alternative do that. But all I have is Shepard really.  So if OBJ plays I have to start him.

20 minutes ago, Dylanfan66 said:

Yeah if you have a good alternative do that. But all I have is Shepard really.  So if OBJ plays I have to start him.

Yeah true. Sucks that it's a Monday night game.

12 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

Qbar_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

oh man, total Diva crap here ... it's a bum ankle, not a series of concussions or complications from sickle cell, etc

yeahyeahyeaaaahhh i know his ankle is paramount to his ability to pull down serious coin in this biz, but, c'mon ... that tweet is ridiculous - i have news for him, and the rest of this league - if it weren't for fantasy and other forms of wagering i wouldn't pay it one second of my time or energy.  pretty sure i'm far from alone on that stance.

kid helped me to a 'chip last year, and he's the most electric WR in the game, no denying that - credit where it's due.  i wish him well, and also wish his owners the same .... gl to you all going forward.