Sign in to follow this  
FlashGordon401

New England Patriots 2017 Outlook

Acquired CB Stephon Gilmore from the Bills. Looks like Malcolm Butler is gone.

Just traded for Kony Ealy in a 2nd round for 3rd round pick swap.  Assuming it's not Carolina's compensatory selection, that's only 8 slots worth of difference. 

4 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Just traded for Kony Ealy in a 2nd round for 3rd round pick swap.  Assuming it's not Carolina's compensatory selection, that's only 8 slots worth of difference. 

I was first. 

39 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I was first. 

It would be a shame if your comment were to.... disappear. *looks nefarious*

Even if it wasn't first, you confirmed which third rounder.

Here's where we're at for draft picks following this week's trades for Dwayne Allen, Ealy and Brandin Cooks.

3rd round, #72 from Carolina

3rd round, #96

4th round, #131 from Seattle (#118 should be forfeit as DeflateGate penalty)

5th round, #163 from Denver

5th round, #183 compensatory

6th round, #200 from Indianapolis

7th round, #239 from Detroit

I think they could still try to move Butler for a 2nd round pick. It's not like Belichick to have zero picks in the first two rounds. Or perhaps we see a trade on draft day involving one of the threes and a fifth to move into the second round.

or maybe....Jimmy G. finally gets moved? Just thinking out loud here. On a high from these last few days of moves.

If Jimmy G gets moved I think it is a clear indication the Patriots are in "win now" mode and capitalizing on Brady's window closing in a couple years. Although that is also a bit contradictory since Jimmy G could potentially be the future beyond Brady.

Trading a 1st rounder for Cooks though sort of backs up my opinion that they are capitalizing on Brady's closing window. The Patriots get Cooks on the cheap for the next two years with his 5th year rookie option. Would the Patriots re-sign Cooks after this 5th season? Probably not. I can't remember the last time the Patriots broke the bank on a WR.

10 hours ago, devaster said:

If Jimmy G gets moved I think it is a clear indication the Patriots are in "win now" mode and capitalizing on Brady's window closing in a couple years. Although that is also a bit contradictory since Jimmy G could potentially be the future beyond Brady.

Trading a 1st rounder for Cooks though sort of backs up my opinion that they are capitalizing on Brady's closing window. The Patriots get Cooks on the cheap for the next two years with his 5th year rookie option. Would the Patriots re-sign Cooks after this 5th season? Probably not. I can't remember the last time the Patriots broke the bank on a WR.

Not only the Cooks trade, but paying up for a huge free agent in Stephon Gilmore. That's not very Patriot-like and hasn't really happened since 2007 when they signed Adalius Thomas. So yes, I agree, they are going all in to try to get that sixth ring with Brady (which I think is smart). 

Here's a look at the offensive depth chart following all these recent moves. I disagree with the offensive line assessment. I think they should try to improve the interior of the o-line through the draft or by signing someone like Evan Mathis. Otherwise, I think it's pretty spot on.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/11/14890682/updating-patriots-offensive-depth-chart-after-the-first-two-days-of-free-agency

10 hours ago, ChasinDatPaper said:

Suprised they didnt keep Logan Ryan. He was pretty awesome for them last yr.

He was expected to leave, but then you see they gave all that money to Gilmore and they could have had Ryan for a lot less. Gilmore is probably a better man-to-man corner, but Ryan is one of the best tackling CBs in the league and is also very smart. He was a great pickup for the Titans.

2 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Here's a look at the offensive depth chart following all these recent moves. I disagree with the offensive line assessment. I think they should try to improve the interior of the o-line through the draft or by signing someone like Evan Mathis. Otherwise, I think it's pretty spot on.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/11/14890682/updating-patriots-offensive-depth-chart-after-the-first-two-days-of-free-agency

Mathis retired.

I wonder where Butler ends up?  Hope he lands on a team that could use his excellent skills!

I personally think Butler > Gilmore. IMO they overpaid for Gilmore.

PFF ranked Butler the 2nd best CB last season, Gilmore wasn't in the top 25.

This is BS.

I hereby claim a new Patriots scandal:

BiggerBrainGate

On 3/12/2017 at 11:53 PM, BMcP said:

I wonder where Butler ends up?  Hope he lands on a team that could use his excellent skills!

Seems like it's down to NO and NE with HOU a longshot.

On 13/03/2017 at 9:55 AM, footballpimp said:

I personally think Butler > Gilmore. IMO they overpaid for Gilmore.

PFF ranked Butler the 2nd best CB last season, Gilmore wasn't in the top 25.

Gilmore can take away one side of the field, he is a shutdown corner.

It doesn't matter, they aren't choosing between one or the other. They are treating Butler like any other player; allowing him to test free agency. Butler returning for one more year is the most likely outcome, there aren't too many teams keen on paying him as a #1 corner.

16 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

It doesn't matter, they aren't choosing between one or the other. They are treating Butler like any other player; allowing him to test free agency. Butler returning for one more year is the most likely outcome, there aren't too many teams keen on paying him as a #1 corner.

Hope you are right. Saints seem like they are really interested in him.

51 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Depends which Gilmore you get.  I know he didn't grade out particularly highly last year, although I believe he was a top 10 CB the year before. He's got the proven potential to do so though, and I can see Bill maximizing what they can get out of him.