J.T. Marlin

Marcus Mariota 2017 Season Outlook

From weeks 5-12 (half a season stretch), Mariota (24.2 ppg - 8 games) was neck & neck with Brees (24.5 - 7 games), Rodgers (24 - 7 games) and Brady (23.4 - 7 games) for the #1 per game scoring fantasy QB.  He's obviously the real deal that can put up big time fantasy #'s.  The biggest worries and issues are his return to full health from the broken leg & also his proneness to putting up some absolute stink bombs (weeks 3 & 4 and especially 14 & 15), which can lose you your weekly match-up.

If TEN ends up getting Cooks and adds some other weapons thru the draft, then look out.  Top 3 fantasy upside at the QB position that you can draft outside the top 10.

7 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

From weeks 5-12 (half a season stretch), Mariota (24.2 ppg - 8 games) was neck & neck with Brees (24.5 - 7 games), Rodgers (24 - 7 games) and Brady (23.4 - 7 games) for the #1 per game scoring fantasy QB.  He's obviously the real deal that can put up big time fantasy #'s.  The biggest worries and issues are his return to full health from the broken leg & also his proneness to putting up some absolute stink bombs (weeks 3 & 4 and especially 14 & 15), which can lose you your weekly match-up.

If TEN ends up getting Cooks and adds some other weapons thru the draft, then look out.  Top 3 fantasy upside at the QB position that you can draft outside the top 10.

He's pretty boom/bust, though. Destroys bad defenses and scores single digit pts against good ones. His big appeal last year was the 8+ wk stretch of horrid defenses he faced (predictably shined), and then just as predictably did nothing when he faced good defenses at the end of the season before getting hurt. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on him as my only QB. 

16 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

I think Cooks would absolutely push Mariota into at least top 5 consideration. Mariota was doing what he was doing with a bounced around wide out, a shaky rookie, and below average wide outs. He utilized Walker flawlessly which younger QBs do and I think it has helped him progress over the last couple of seasons and get comfortable and come into his own. The BIGGEST impact was having an unreal running game which they did nothing but improve with Henry in the draft. I think with continued success at the run game, Mariota would benefit huge with a cooks type of player and utilize the play action with ease. Tennessee lacks explosiveness through the air outside of Walker. I think if Cooks becomes a Titan, watch out for Mariota, cooks, and the Titans as a whole.

How is his injury?

Last I heard, he started walking again.

Ready for OTAs or pre-season?

35 minutes ago, jmausen said:

How is his injury?

Last I heard, he started walking again.

Ready for OTAs or pre-season?

Marcus Mariota (broken leg) has transitioned from using a scooter to a walking boot.
It's been over two months since Mariota went down. Two months was when Mariota was expected to be able to put weight on his leg, so he's on schedule. Mariota appears likely to miss most, if not all, of the offseason program, but should be ready for training camp. Feb 28 - 7:12 PM

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

He's pretty boom/bust, though. Destroys bad defenses and scores single digit pts against good ones. His big appeal last year was the 8+ wk stretch of horrid defenses he faced (predictably shined), and then just as predictably did nothing when he faced good defenses at the end of the season before getting hurt. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on him as my only QB. 

Mostly agree but it was only his 2nd year in the league.  If you believe he's the real deal and will continue to improve, those bust performances should be less severe and fewer and far between.  Adding Cooks and another offensive piece (one of the promising TE prospects) could go along way to further his development.

Young QB just coming into his own. If they add Corey Davis as expected you can easily draft him late as your QB1.

On 3/11/2017 at 5:27 AM, petekrum said:

Young QB just coming into his own. If they add Corey Davis as expected you can easily draft him late as your QB1.

Rishard Mathews had a slow start and finished WR14.  Current ADP is WR34 (8.01)

Tajae Sharpe gobbled up a lot of targets early in the season but couldn't do anything with them.  How is his development?  5th round rookie last year.

Whoever ends up being Mariotta's WR1 should be going in the 2nd round, but will be a middle round steal.

Very talented young QB.  I guess Chip Kelly did do something right?

19 hours ago, jmausen said:

Rishard Mathews had a slow start and finished WR14.  Current ADP is WR34 (8.01)

Tajae Sharpe gobbled up a lot of targets early in the season but couldn't do anything with them.  How is his development?  5th round rookie last year.

Whoever ends up being Mariotta's WR1 should be going in the 2nd round, but will be a middle round steal.

Very talented young QB.  I guess Chip Kelly did do something right?

Mathews could've easily cracked top 10 production if the Titans decided to get him going week 1. Instead they let a washed up Andre Johnson get his targets.

Edited by ChasinDatPaper

Titans dont need a WR1. Mariota likes to spread the ball, and Mathews should be fine of what they have. They need to upgrade their defense and let the offense catch a break. I just hope they unleash Henry this year. 

We also had a very promising rookie that kind of struggled (thought he would be our WR1) last yr, but dude needs a year or two to develop. Has a hard time fighting press. Needs to bulk up. Hopefully Sharpe developes into WR1 in the near future. So far Mathews is the main reciever and it looks like Jon Robinson will go defense with the very first two picks.

Mariota told KHON he is confident he'll be ready for training camp.

It has been incredible,'' Mariota said of his recovery. "The opportunity to come home, to relax, to see family and hang out with friends and enjoy some of the sun and the beach, it really rejuvenates me and it gives me an opportunity to get healthy mentally along with getting healthy physically. With all the eyes and ears I've had around me, this process has been really good and I am in a good spot. "As long as I continue on this path, I'll be ready to go once fall comes around."

Edited by ChasinDatPaper

I'm curious if the Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor addition is changing anyone's perception of Mariota. Obviously, the season ending stretch has its own merits regardless. And personally I am still high on Rishard Matthews and still believe he will be the primary target, but how much do the additional threats make the titans offense and in turn Mariota's ceiling? 

I'm definitely targeting Mariota this season along with Cam.

Source: NFL.com - Conor Orr

Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota (leg) said that he feels great and is 'probably another week or two from really full-head running.' In the meantime, he's begun to do some jogging and is continuing to take things one day at a time in doing his best to be prepared for the season.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

More great news for the young quarterback here. Mariota should do nothing during the offseason work, but it seems like he's on track to fully participate at some point in training camp. The Titans added three quality skill position players to the offense with premium picks in the 2017 NFL draft (WR Corey Davis, WR Taywan Taylor, TE Jonnu Smith) so Mariota could post career-best numbers if fully healthy.

15 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I'm definitely targeting Mariota this season along with Cam.

Source: NFL.com - Conor Orr

Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota (leg) said that he feels great and is 'probably another week or two from really full-head running.' In the meantime, he's begun to do some jogging and is continuing to take things one day at a time in doing his best to be prepared for the season.

More great news for the young quarterback here. Mariota should do nothing during the offseason work, but it seems like he's on track to fully participate at some point in training camp. The Titans added three quality skill position players to the offense with premium picks in the 2017 NFL draft (WR Corey Davis, WR Taywan Taylor, TE Jonnu Smith) so Mariota could post career-best numbers if fully healthy.

I would feel more cnfident if he got a head start on rapport and timing by throwing balls to these guys daily before training camp. I have him targeted back rounds of draft with dalton and jamesis

This will Be Mariota's Break out season as long as stays Healthy he will be top 3 fantasy QB. Think 2015 Cam Newton

@POORMANSSPORTS

Edited by Poor_Mans_Sportscast
wanted to add tiwtter url

1 minute ago, Poor_Mans_Sportscast said:

This will Be Mariota's Break out season as long as stays Healthy he will be top 3 fantasy QB. Think 2015 Cam Newton

Im hoping with how smart Mariota seems to be that Rishard Matthews will retain most of his value from last year, would be nice at the very least to have WR3 value all year i dont expect WR2 numbers but that would be awesome   lots of mouths to feed

I just can't figure Mariota out. He threw for 600 more yards and seven more TDs from year one to two. But his yards per game dropped and he had only one 300 yard game in 2016 versus two in 2015. He gets the benefit of the doubt due to lack of big-time receiving talent since he's been in Tennessee. But when he's bad, he's REALLY bad; and doesn't make up for it with many rushing yards. Matthews and Davis give him the best outside duo he's had in his career. But who plays the slot? I know Walker gets most of those inside targets, but a full complement of weapons would make me feel better about Mariota going into Year 3. He's still a QB2. Can't be relied upon yet as a weekly starter.

Source: TitansOnline.com - Jim Wyatt

Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota's status for off-season work remains in the 'to be determined' department, according to TitansOnline's Jim Wyatt.

We doubt Mariota practices much if at all this offseason. The goal is to have him ready for Week 1 of the regular season, so he might even be limited to start training camp. We'll know more about his status as August draws near. He was the no.13 fantasy QB in 2016 (standard scoring leagues) and could crack into the top 10 this year with the added weapons around him in the passing game.

Source: The Tennessean - Jason Wolf

Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota (leg) is not yet running full-speed after fracturing his right fibula late last season, but the coaching staff is attempting to figure out how to get him - along with injured rookie WR Corey Davis - on the field together sooner than later. Organized team activities run from May 23 to June 8, and there is a chance both could see limited work during that time.

The Titans will be cautious with Mariota, so if he's just not ready they won't push him. All reports have been positive about his recovery, but his participation level for the offseason is in question. Mariota should do more in training camp and the preseason, and it looks like he'll be ready for Week 1.

Let's go Mariota!! The question is, can he take a hit and get back up?!!!

He has the weapons around him to be easily in the Top5. His biggest hurdle is his health.

Source: ESPN.com - Paul Kuharsky

Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota (leg) participated in full team snaps at organized team activities Tuesday, June 6.

Draft confidently as a QB1, but pair with a late round backup in case of injury.

3 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Let's go Mariota!! The question is, can he take a hit and get back up?!!!

He has the weapons around him to be easily in the Top5. His biggest hurdle is his health.

Source: ESPN.com - Paul Kuharsky

Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota (leg) participated in full team snaps at organized team activities Tuesday, June 6.

His durability at Oregon was never a question mark. But in the NFL he has had a hard time staying healthy. Maybe some bad luck but there's no reason why he shouldnt finish the season healthy this year especially what kind of line he has infront of him. But I think hes going to beast this yr.

Edited by ChasinDatPaper