Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Mike Zunino 2017 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Sorry, but it's worth bringing up that he's 3-for-3 with a HR and 7 RBI tonight, lol. At least tonight puts him back above the Mendoza line :lol:

Since his call-up (as of the 6th inning tonight), he's 10-for-34 with a pair of HR and 10 RBI in 10 games. I say that fully acknowledging that he was 7-31 with a HR and 3 RBI since his call-up coming into tonight. Lol. It's also worth nothing that half of those 34 ABs have ended with a K. 

But with the position the way that it is right now, those in 2-catcher leagues should probably at least keep an eye on him. If he can hit .225 with power the rest of the way, then there are definitely worse options in 2-catcher leagues. 

He still sucks.  He'll end under .180.  This average is his peak. 

Makes me wonder if he was promoted too quickly. He went from playing in the CWS in 2012 to making his debut in the Majors literally less than a year later. It wasn't like he was killing the PCL when he was originally called up. I've always felt his promotion was rushed for whatever reason. He just wasn't ready. 

Would he have been better than he is now? Can't say for sure, but I'd like to think he would have been a better player. 

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Makes me wonder if he was promoted too quickly. He went from playing in the CWS in 2012 to making his debut in the Majors literally less than a year later. It wasn't like he was killing the PCL when he was originally called up. I've always felt his promotion was rushed for whatever reason. He just wasn't ready. 

Would he have been better than he is now? Can't say for sure, but I'd like to think he would have been a better player. 

He absolutely was.  And then he was left to waffle away at the big leagues.  Jack Zduriencik is probably the worst player development GM in history of MLB.  I mean look at all his former players who were garbage in Seattle who suddenly blossomed elsewhere.  If you dig deeper into what the director of player development was preaching to these guys you'd see how they were set up to fail.  His philosophy was to identify fastballs and swing at any of them.  No plate discipline or pitch recognition was ever taught.  It was legitimately the worst run organization any of us will ever see in our lives under Jack Zdurencik.  Phillies are getting crapped on now but they got some young guys putting up competitive stats.  

Long story short, he was ruined by the previous regime.  He's been broken down a few times and rebuilt back up but probably too little too late in terms of being an asset in fantasy.  But who knows I never thought I'd see the day where Justin Smoak was a premier MLB slugger. 

On 6/3/2017 at 9:50 PM, Cmilne23 said:

He absolutely was.  And then he was left to waffle away at the big leagues.  Jack Zduriencik is probably the worst player development GM in history of MLB.  I mean look at all his former players who were garbage in Seattle who suddenly blossomed elsewhere.  If you dig deeper into what the director of player development was preaching to these guys you'd see how they were set up to fail.  His philosophy was to identify fastballs and swing at any of them.  No plate discipline or pitch recognition was ever taught.  It was legitimately the worst run organization any of us will ever see in our lives under Jack Zdurencik.  Phillies are getting crapped on now but they got some young guys putting up competitive stats.  

Long story short, he was ruined by the previous regime.  He's been broken down a few times and rebuilt back up but probably too little too late in terms of being an asset in fantasy.  But who knows I never thought I'd see the day where Justin Smoak was a premier MLB slugger. 

Yep, I was chatting with a friend the day he got called up about how I hope they didn't ruin him by calling him up too soon, and that's exactly what happened.

Must...not...get....sucked. 

edit: added

Edited by GriffeySwag

Some guys you just irrationally believe will turn the corner/want to do well because you're a fan of the team, the guy, or both. Zunino is one of those guys for me. Cliche, but he is pretty highly regarded by the people in/around the Mariners organization, and as others have detailed, the previous regime did no favors to his long term development by rushing him up and letting him flail away. That said, if he can hit even in the .225 to .240 range with decent plate discipline, he has plus power from the C slot. He'll be slump prone/have some swing and miss, but for now hope people hopped on board and rode his bat for this week.

Is this a twilight zone?  Are Justin Smoak and Mike Zunino really doing this?  What's next Jesus Montero drops 100 pounds and starts being Big Papi?  

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Is this a twilight zone?  Are Justin Smoak and Mike Zunino really doing this?  What's next Jesus Montero drops 100 pounds and starts being Big Papi?  

Im adding Nick Franklin everywhere, just in case...

21 minutes ago, Lipstick on Dipstick said:

In the spirit of Justin Smoak and Yonser Alonso, I have added Zunino.

In my 2-catcher league, my second catching spot has been filled with dregs. I saw that Zunino was called up and thought he couldn't be much worse than the likes of Derek Freaking Norris. Thought I'd take a chance on his power, and I've been rewarded with .239-10-3-13 in 46 AB since. The .239 isn't much to sing about, but for Zunino...well, he may as well be challenging for the batting title with a BA that high. Lol. 

9 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things when someone recently picked up Chris Taylor in my league.

Just now, 89Topps said:

I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things when someone recently picked up Chris Taylor in my league.

lol there's another one.  Jesus Sucre actually hitting ball out of infield was a bit of a shock as well.  Logan Morrison is slugging viciously again.  Adam Lind is some god of a bench player.  Anyone else I'm missing?

44 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

In my 2-catcher league, my second catching spot has been filled with dregs. I saw that Zunino was called up and thought he couldn't be much worse than the likes of Derek Freaking Norris. Thought I'd take a chance on his power, and I've been rewarded with .239-10-3-13 in 46 AB since. The .239 isn't much to sing about, but for Zunino...well, he may as well be challenging for the batting title with a BA that high. Lol. 

The HR he hit Saturday night should have been worth 2.  Thing darn near left the stadium.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/290531/video-mariners-mike-zunino-hammers-gigantic-grand-slam/

12 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

It's about time for Dustin Ackley, Mat Gamel, Brandon Wood and Andy Marte to get goin too.

4 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

lol there's another one.  Jesus Sucre actually hitting ball out of infield was a bit of a shock as well.  Logan Morrison is slugging viciously again.  Adam Lind is some god of a bench player.  Anyone else I'm missing?

Add Chris Ianneta to the list. 

17 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

Must...not...get....sucked. 

edit: added

Easily my favorite post of the year so far lol

14 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Add Chris Ianneta to the list. 

:lol::lol::lol:

Ehh, there's a lot of hate here for no reason.  He's a catcher so there isn't much risk as anything on the wire right now is going to be bad.  But there's a lot of upside if he hits 15-16 HRs from here on out.  He is especially valuable I think in OPS leagues... Average leagues not so much....

I know this won't last, but I sure am enjoying this while it does. Lol. 

I'm optimistic - it's been a long journey at catcher, but i think he could be Mr. Right.