Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Mike Zunino 2017 Season Outlook

18 minutes ago, Bravesfan155 said:

I'm optimistic - it's been a long journey at catcher, but i think he could be Mr. Right.

Hope so or he could be Mr Jesus Montero, but I did just picked him as insurance for Molina.

Enjoying this for now, but there's an 0-for-20 coming at some point. Lol. 

50 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

Up to .244 now and still only 26 y/o.  Time to believe @Cmilne23:)

I'm stunned that I'm even posting this but I'm starting to believe he was salvaged by this coaching staff.  He came back with a new stance and seems to be getting his weight forward now.  Took a lot of time to undo all the bad habits he got in under (have I mentioned this?) Jack Zdurencik and the historically awful player development crew.  I would not laugh if someone rostered him in fantasy.  

16 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I'm stunned that I'm even posting this but I'm starting to believe he was salvaged by this coaching staff.  He came back with a new stance and seems to be getting his weight forward now.  Took a lot of time to undo all the bad habits he got in under (have I mentioned this?) Jack Zdurencik and the historically awful player development crew.  I would not laugh if someone rostered him in fantasy.  

Well I hope you're correct. He's been huge since I picked him up, and I've stopped trying to trade for a second catcher now. If he has new mechanics now, maybe this new staff has been able to fix him. If he hit .250 with his power...great find for a lot of fantasy owners this year. Perhaps even in 1-catcher leagues. But, I'm starting to sound overly optimistic now. 

On 6/8/2017 at 3:32 AM, Cmilne23 said:

Is this a twilight zone?  Are Justin Smoak and Mike Zunino really doing this?  What's next Jesus Montero drops 100 pounds and starts being Big Papi?  

Dave Bush is still available in many leagues 

1 hour ago, DivisionVision said:

111mike.jpg

Are you the same guy who made the Mitch Haniger bench heat pic?

Have all of my likes

2 hours ago, DivisionVision said:

111mike.jpg

That's both seductive and creepy. I'm in.

21 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

That's both seductive and creepy. I'm in.

Added him last night. I walk the talk.

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Added him last night. I walk the talk.

Pfft. I added him on May 31. Two-catcher league, lol. 

Sorry for the double post...surprised no ones mentioned Edgar Martinez yet. 

One of the greatest hitters as the hitting coach? He had to have had a hand in these hitters' developments.

5 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Sorry for the double post...surprised no ones mentioned Edgar Martinez yet. 

One of the greatest hitters as the hitting coach? He had to have had a hand in these hitters' developments.

The thing is though nothing in his numbers suggests a change in approach. He's walking less and striking out more. Plate discipline numbers are in line with last year.  Currently enjoying his best Babip of his career at .368. The only real intriguing numbers are his hard contact at its highest(41.5) and his soft contact at its lowest(12.2).

On 6/16/2017 at 8:29 AM, High&Inside said:

The thing is though nothing in his numbers suggests a change in approach. He's walking less and striking out more. Plate discipline numbers are in line with last year.  Currently enjoying his best Babip of his career at .368. The only real intriguing numbers are his hard contact at its highest(41.5) and his soft contact at its lowest(12.2).

Yeah, this is what concerns me.  I really need a catcher in AL-Only, and for some surprising reason, Avila and Zunino are both available.  I'm looking for reasons to believe Zunino's improvements will stick, because I don't buy Avila at all.  But it's really looking like BABIP and fortuitous RBI situations.

Putting up great numbers last few weeks since his return from the Bus trip.

Sometimes all it takes is a short trip to the minors... big believer of this.

8 HR's and 26 RBI's in June so far. It's June 19th.

I bet Fangraphs has a Zunino article come out this week.

5 hours ago, the real donny baseball said:

I'm gonna have a problem Sunday when Ramos comes off the DL.

Same here. I am a believer in whatever that last demotion triggered. Think I rather drop Heyward at this point.