FFCollusion

Ezekiel Elliott 2017 Season Outlook

4 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

I don't know about the Steelers O-line. Never taken the time to watch it and break it down. DJ played with a makeshift O-line all of 2016. Mathis played only four games and Veldheer was put on IR in Week 8. A bunch of young guys came in and blocked well enough to get DJ to 2,000 yards and 20 TDs. The experience will help them in 2017 and I actually place the Cardinals O-line in the top 5 preseason and wouldn't be surprised to see DJ eclipse 1,500 yards on the ground.

And put any RB behind the 2013-2016 Dallas O-line and they will rush for 1,000+ yard. A washed-up McFadden looked good behind that line. Just is what it is. Elliott has a lot to prove this year.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Note the run blocking, which is what I'm speaking to.  As i said, these good RBs have good OL's.    Zeke is entering year 2, so i can always agree there is plenty to prove for a young player, but lets not try and toss around red flags here and make bonified statements like Zeke is the only RB across this league that is dependent upon good OL play.  Barry Sanders is the only one that perfected that trick consistently.   I do agree Zeke's target share needs to climb significantly in order to move him ahead of DJ and Leveon in PPR, if all is healthy and ready to roll week1, but Leveon and DJ come with their own concerns, esp Leveon.  I think some are sleeping on the idea that Zeke's overall touches, IMO, should go up

Also, as i've stated to you previously, the loss of Leary i can agree could impact this OL, but i find it off that many think Free is more then a steady but average player.  He allowed 8 sacks last season if i remember correctly and he's already 33 years old.  To be honest, I'm happy the Cowboys are going to be looking to get younger at that position.  It won't be perfect, but it won't have to be, Doug sure as heck wasn't.  

15 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

And put any RB behind the 2013-2016 Dallas O-line and they will rush for 1,000+ yard.

I'd say if you put most NFL caliber RB's behind a top 5 OL, sure, they could rush for 1,000 yards.  Im not sure why i would fault Zeke for that, or Leveon, or Dj, etc....it is what it is

Let me know when any of these guys are producing at a top flight clip with a bottom 5 OL

10 hours ago, jbshaw said:

I don't think that's a fair statement.  He grades out well by sources that look at tape to try and differentiate O-line blocking from an RB's personal impact, and created on his own even on the rare instance the line didn't execute/got beat.  He wouldn't be the league leader without the line, but he's still a 1000+ yard rusher. 

Those instances were very rare. Elliott was running through gaping holes all season. I agree he'll get 1,000+ yards and probably 10 TDs; and probably 325+ touches. I just don't put Elliott in the DJ/Bell bracket for RBs. Re-draft 2017 I'm taking McCoy over Elliott in all formats.

28 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

Those instances were very rare. Elliott was running through gaping holes all season. I agree he'll get 1,000+ yards and probably 10 TDs; and probably 325+ touches. I just don't put Elliott in the DJ/Bell bracket for RBs. Re-draft 2017 I'm taking McCoy over Elliott in all formats.

In terms of individual skill, I don't have a problem with that.  But with the line short of Leary (Collins should be an upgrade over Free in runblocking)?  I still think he's in that tier in standard. 

Zeke will be #1 RB in standard this year, and quite possibly in PPR.

He was virtually non-existent last year on 3rd downs and was spelled for entire drives. I think he makes a big leap this year after adjusting to the NFL game, Dak gets even more comfortable and Garrett opens up the playbook a little more.

Zeke is generational.

6 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Zeke will be #1 RB in standard this year, and quite possibly in PPR.

He was virtually non-existent last year on 3rd downs and was spelled for entire drives. I think he makes a big leap this year after adjusting to the NFL game, Dak gets even more comfortable and Garrett opens up the playbook a little more.

Zeke is generational.

Ditto..it's okay if others think he's not..gives me the opportunity to grab him. No argument from me.

9 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

Re-draft 2017 I'm taking McCoy over Elliott in all formats.

interesting dabeesta.  What is the reasoning/confidence here McCoy > Zeke across all formats? Simply the OL changes for Dallas?  I expect both to run the ball a LOT in 17'.  Zeke's carries out paced McCoy's at a pretty good clip and the receptions weren't all that far off from McCoy to Zeke.  Since Mike G is gone maybe this sets up for an even higher carry total for McCoy but  If Zeke continues to see the carry volume + an uptick in targets/receptions, i'd bet on him putting together a better season over McCoy.  I like both players heading into this season but I'm curious as to what has your confidence soaring in all formats for McCoy in 17'

2 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

interesting dabeesta.  What is the reasoning/confidence here McCoy > Zeke across all formats? Simply the OL changes for Dallas?  I expect both to run the ball a LOT in 17'.  Zeke's carries out paced McCoy's at a pretty good clip and the receptions weren't all that far off from McCoy to Zeke.  Since Mike G is gone maybe this sets up for an even higher carry total for McCoy but  If Zeke continues to see the carry volume + an uptick in targets/receptions, i'd bet on him putting together a better season over McCoy.  I like both players heading into this season but I'm curious as to what has your confidence soaring in all formats for McCoy in 17'

McCoy averaged 5.4 ypc last season (career high). Even if he loses a half yard on that, its still close to 5, meaning he doesn't need a lot of carries to produce big numbers. You also alluded to the fact he's the only show in town now unless they sign Blount. But even then, 250 carries and 50 catches for McCoy is more than enough.

People will get mad at this, but watching Elliott with the Cowboys last season was like watching McCaffrey at Stanford running through gaping holes. The popular sentiment is "Doug Free sucked" and Collins is an upgrade despite playing a new position this year and being wholly inconsistent in 2016. 10 years of consistency is what Free brought to the table. The fact the Cowboys are starting Jonathan Cooper at guard - a guy who's been cut by 3-4 teams since being drafted in round one 2013 - says a lot about this line too. I just don't see the one-on-one/beat your man ability in Elliott that DJ, Bell and McCoy have. Elliott is a top 10 pick because of volume. But again, I just can't take him top 5.

Elliott was a rookie, let's keep that in mind when comparing his season to others. He started the first few games rusty as expected of a rookie.

29 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

McCoy averaged 5.4 ypc last season (career high). Even if he loses a half yard on that, its still close to 5, meaning he doesn't need a lot of carries to produce big numbers. You also alluded to the fact he's the only show in town now unless they sign Blount. But even then, 250 carries and 50 catches for McCoy is more than enough.

People will get mad at this, but watching Elliott with the Cowboys last season was like watching McCaffrey at Stanford running through gaping holes. The popular sentiment is "Doug Free sucked" and Collins is an upgrade despite playing a new position this year and being wholly inconsistent in 2016. 10 years of consistency is what Free brought to the table. The fact the Cowboys are starting Jonathan Cooper at guard - a guy who's been cut by 3-4 teams since being drafted in round one 2013 - says a lot about this line too. I just don't see the one-on-one/beat your man ability in Elliott that DJ, Bell and McCoy have. Elliott is a top 10 pick because of volume. But again, I just can't take him top 5.

agreed on McCoy and as i said, i like him a good bit heading into this season.  I was just curious as to your thoughts on one vs another.

Again, Free does not suck, he's simply nothing special.  He's a steady, good locker room leader, who has averaged an incredibly high penalty rate across his career and he's also allowed his fair share of sacks, including as i said, i believe 8 last season.  Im not even ready to call Collins an "upgrade" yet, in Collins young career so far, i simply think he's going to be more then serviceable, as Free was, IF of course we can keep Collins healthy.  That my concern more than anything.  I also say that with the idea i believe Collins is more talented overall then Free, so to be honest, i think Collins could end up being the better player.  Lets also not forget Collins is playing for a big new contract.  He's going to be more then motivated this season and if you go check his draft profile and stock BEFORE the crazy allegations against him come draft time, he's a top tier OL talent. Something Free never is, or was.  Again, the Cowboys don't need an all PRO RT, they haven't ever had one in Doug Free.

As for Cooper and the LG spot, its a concerning thought here on May 11th i agree, but we are also pretty far off anything of relevancy regarding how that position will play out or look come Sept.  The Cowboys will give Cooper a chance, as well as Looney, Cleary, Edwards, and Possibly i've read BBell.  This job is far from Coopers.  My expectation is the Cowboys will find a serviceable option at LG to work in between Tyron and Frederick.  It will be viewed as a downgrade and thats fine. Thats more a compliment to Leary more then anything.  Regardless, i think its knee jerk to assume its going to hurt Zeke's production to bump his stock down to the 8-10 range, as you stated, in any format.

29 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

but watching Elliott with the Cowboys last season was like watching McCaffrey at Stanford r

difference is, Elliot can break a tackle......lol.    We will just have to agree to disagree on Elliott.  I think you are selling his talent short bc of his OL.   I don't see him that way, at all.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVMmvwFBv6M&feature=player_embedded

let me know when you think Christian will take his game to this level :)

Edited by BlakeP42

I remember Demarco Murray's talent was chalked up as the Dallas's OL. He had a great season last year in Tennessee. 

Dallas OL could be a tad bit overrated, too. 

Elliott and Murray created yards on their own in the backfield. They both have great vision and quickness.  

37 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I remember Demarco Murray's talent was chalked up as the Dallas's OL. He had a great season last year in Tennessee. 

Dallas OL could be a tad bit overrated, too. 

Elliott and Murray created yards on their own in the backfield. They both have great vision and quickness.  

Tennessee was at worst in the same tier as Dallas in terms of run blocking.  While I think that Murray is a good back outside of Kelly's scheme, Tennessee isn't a good rebuttal. 

However, I do agree that both are more than the product of their lines. 

Bishop Sankey ran behind the same line as Murray...my rebuttal still stands.

I'm taking Zeke if I can get him over all RBs...I try to draft all cowboys and panthers on my ff teams. 

3 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I'm taking Zeke if I can get him over all RBs...I try to draft all cowboys and panthers on my ff teams. 

Theres a sure fire recipe for success.

6 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

agreed on McCoy and as i said, i like him a good bit heading into this season.  I was just curious as to your thoughts on one vs another.

Again, Free does not suck, he's simply nothing special.  He's a steady, good locker room leader, who has averaged an incredibly high penalty rate across his career and he's also allowed his fair share of sacks, including as i said, i believe 8 last season.  Im not even ready to call Collins an "upgrade" yet, in Collins young career so far, i simply think he's going to be more then serviceable, as Free was, IF of course we can keep Collins healthy.  That my concern more than anything.  I also say that with the idea i believe Collins is more talented overall then Free, so to be honest, i think Collins could end up being the better player.  Lets also not forget Collins is playing for a big new contract.  He's going to be more then motivated this season and if you go check his draft profile and stock BEFORE the crazy allegations against him come draft time, he's a top tier OL talent. Something Free never is, or was.  Again, the Cowboys don't need an all PRO RT, they haven't ever had one in Doug Free.

As for Cooper and the LG spot, its a concerning thought here on May 11th i agree, but we are also pretty far off anything of relevancy regarding how that position will play out or look come Sept.  The Cowboys will give Cooper a chance, as well as Looney, Cleary, Edwards, and Possibly i've read BBell.  This job is far from Coopers.  My expectation is the Cowboys will find a serviceable option at LG to work in between Tyron and Frederick.  It will be viewed as a downgrade and thats fine. Thats more a compliment to Leary more then anything.  Regardless, i think its knee jerk to assume its going to hurt Zeke's production to bump his stock down to the 8-10 range, as you stated, in any format.

difference is, Elliot can break a tackle......lol.    We will just have to agree to disagree on Elliott.  I think you are selling his talent short bc of his OL.   I don't see him that way, at all.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVMmvwFBv6M&feature=player_embedded

let me know when you think Christian will take his game to this level :)

Kam was NOT ready.

1 hour ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Yes he did, and he's also an RB that has never had success.  He also had 10% better YPC behind the overhauled O-line than the rookie year variant.  

Murray is a talented back that would do well in most places.  But using the team with the #1 offensive line per PFF doesn't help your case in convincing anyone who doesn't already think that. 

Not good.  I hope Zeke was wearing a seatbelt:

The Cowboys are holding Ezekiel Elliott out of OTAs after he suffered a head injury in a car accident.

It sounds like Zeke may have been concussed, but that isn't confirmed. Per Nick Eatman of the Cowboys' website, Elliott was the passenger in a "minor" accident on Sunday night. A report from Adam Schefter indicated Elliott's injury is not "significant," but it is significant enough that the Cowboys are holding him out of practice. Hopefully there will be more info soon.

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

Not good.  I hope Zeke was wearing a seatbelt:

I hope he was wearing a helmet.

I heard a rumor that he was the one driving and was drunk .......nvm origin was an Eagles fan 

I just heard about the accident. It happened over the weekend is what I hear and that it wasn't serious. Kind of like a fender, bender. 

listening to Garrett speak now.  Zeke came in Monday with neck and back stiffness.  He will be held out for precautionary reason's until they pick up practice next week.  No concussion reported as well

Isn't this his 2nd wreck in about 6 months?

Plus he pulls up a girl's top at a parade while still being investigated for walloping his ex?

If he could...go ahead and buck this trend...that'd be great.

mmkay?

Edited by Proteus

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Isn't this his 2nd wreck in about 6 months?

Plus he pulls up a girl's top at a parade while still being investigated for walloping his ex?

If he could...go ahead and buck this trend...that'd be great.

mmkay?

He was the passenger here, so I don't hold it against him as much unless the driver was acting recklessly. But yeah, I'd always prefer my players to be closer to Dak in news (ie, rooting for his alma mater's basketball team, going fishing, and working) than Zeke. 

13 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

listening to Garrett speak now.  Zeke came in Monday with neck and back stiffness.  He will be held out for precautionary reason's until they pick up practice next week.  No concussion reported as well

Damn even Zeke is on that insurance money.

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Damn even Zeke is on that insurance money.

I had a low speed accident when I was 17 (probably less than a 10 mph difference between cars. Airbags didn't deploy).  My neck and back were stiff for days. It's easy to see the Cowboys being cautious after something not serious (I have no idea what the accident was like).  

7 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

I had a low speed accident when I was 17 (probably less than a 10 mph difference between cars. Airbags didn't deploy).  My neck and back were stiff for days. It's easy to see the Cowboys being cautious after something not serious (I have no idea what the accident was like).  

Yes it's a joke. Of course it makes sense to be cautious. The neck can end your career like nothing else.