FFCollusion

Ezekiel Elliott 2017 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Huh? I'd rather be a proclaimed innocent man fasely imprisioned than an innocent man who admits guilt for something he didn't do. Do men not have honor in their character any more?

Ok, Ned Stark. I recall that working out well for you. 

Your belief is easy to say without the threat of the US' third world prisoner conditions hanging over you. Sometimes being pragmatic is the better course of action than taking a great moral stand. 

1 minute ago, Folarin said:

The better question here's is why hasn't Goodell been impeached yet?

Didn't he just sign an extension?

10 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Huh? I'd rather be a proclaimed innocent man fasely imprisioned than an innocent man who admits guilt for something he didn't do. Do men not have honor in their character any more?

If it was just one incident- and he was indeed innocent in an actual US trial using "beyond a reasonable doubt", then yes.

But this is Goodells kangaroo court and Zeke has multiple potential policy violations.   Even if he disproves the main DV charge.    Including an incident the NFL hasn't yet reviewed.   

Nope-   Take your reduction and move along.   He will bury himself eventually if his behavior doesn't change.  

8 minutes ago, RevisAteMyQB said:

I don't want him settling for reduced suspension...you can't be "a little guilty". 

Well, it's especially strange for us with a bifurcated legal system. We determine guilt first and then the judge determines sentencing at a later hearing. 

The NFL appears to be considering using "sentencing" with a quasi-evidentiary dimension. That is, the weaker the evidence, the less likely it is Elliott committed a bad act, and the less harsh the sentence should be. That's a really bizarre way of approaching the problem.

Basically:

Final Punishment = Baseline punishment x %Elliott committed the crime.

Like, are you kidding me? Set a clear evidentiary standard. If you don't meet that standard, no suspension. If he meets the standard, follow the 6+ week suspension guideline. These guys are making up procedure as they go along. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Looks like I'm going to be proven wrong on this one. With the lead investigator recommending no suspension (and then being excluded from the meetings where the suspension was determined), there's no way the court would deny an injunction. And Goodell putting him on the exempt list would now be PR suicide.

Congrats to everyone who bet that the NFL's incompetence and lack of integrity would not allow their suspension of Zeke to hold. 

I want to comment on this "lead investigator's recommendation" thing that I've seen pop up in many places.  It may not have been inappropriate to exclude her recommendation from the report or to exclude from the meeting.  Why?  Because she might have been exceeding her role in offering such an opinion.  I'm a lawyer and I work with investigators frequently.  If I hire an investigator to find out if something happened or didn't happen, I don't have any interest in him/her then exceeding his factual investigation and telling me for what I should settle the case or how I should question some unrelated witness or something.  

If this investigator said "I find he didn't do what he's accused of, so don't suspend him," that's one thing and the finding that he did nothing should have been considered (probably as dispositive).  But if she found "he did it but I don't think it's bad enough to suspend him," Goodell would be perfectly reasonable in saying "I don't care whether you think this is suspension-worthy or not.  You found he did it, and I will determine whether that's acceptable behavior or not - that's my role, not yours."  

15 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

This thread seems like a lot of wishful thinking by Zeke owners. Eventually he is going to pay the price just like Brady did. 

As long as paying the price occurs in 2018 season, I'm fine with that.

Every year, there seems to be one thread that runs out of control.  Josh Gordon.  Chrissy Michael.  I guess this year, for good reason, it's Zeke.  Hoping to get some clarity soon so we can stop all this legal/moral debate.  It's also pretty obvious who is a Zeke owner who got him at a discount and who is now a scared/jealous/second guessing non-Zeke owner who wishes they took the plunge but is trying to rationalize not doing so by hoping with all fingers and toes crossed that the suspension gets upheld.

The lead investigator is the only one who talked to the victim and deemed her not credible.  This whole thing stinks with the lead Friel being a rabid giants fan.

10 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

I will determine whether that's acceptable behavior or not - that's my role, not yours."  

X1000 this. The investigator thing is a complete red herring. Their job is to gather facts and to furnish them on a decision-maker. It's not much different than a police officer forming a personal opinion about a case through investigative work. 

Now, if Zeke can show that Goodell did something like willfully ignore these reports and relevant evidence (bearing in mind that Goodell still has discretion in assigning credibility to the evidence), then ok, we might be getting somewhere. But good luck proving that, even if it did happen. 

Edited by Rainyy

Just now, Supamanu said:

The lead investigator is the only one who talked to the victim and deemed her not credible.  This whole thing stinks with the lead Friel being a rabid giants fan.

If you're going to accuse Friel of being overzealous, the (much) stronger evidence is her years as a sex crime unit prosector, not her fandom. 

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

It’s also pretty obvious who is a Zeke owner who got him at a discount and who is now a scared/jealous/second guessing non-Zeke owner who wishes they took the plunge but is trying to rationalize not doing so by hoping with all fingers and toes crossed that the suspension gets upheld.

and then there are a lot of people like me who are neither and have a draft this weekend and are trying to figure out where to realistically draft zeke. 

3 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

X1000 this. The investigator thing is a complete red herring. Their job is to gather facts and to furnish them on a decision-maker. It's not much different than a police officer forming a personal opinion about a case through investigative work. 

Now, if Zeke can show that Goodell did something like willfully ignore these reports and relevant evidence, then ok, we might be getting somewhere. But good luck proving that, even if it did happen. 

well supposedly friel didn't even allow the findings from the lead investigator in the hearing.

22 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

Ok, Ned Stark. I recall that working out well for you. 

Your belief is easy to say without the threat of the US' third world prisoner conditions hanging over you. Sometimes being pragmatic is the better course of action than taking a great moral stand. 

this post should've been authored by Lord Varys, no?

oh, and ftr - i believe the kid is guilty.

sadly, that doesn't impact his enormous value as a magick foosball asset, and if you can/did snag the guy on the cheap - kudos. 

Is there an allegation that Goodell never read the investigators' report?  It was jointly submitted by Friel and Roberts.  I haven't read all 160 or so pages yet, just skimmed some key portions, but if Roberts didn't include her "recommendation" in that report she has nobody to blame but herself.

If Goodell didn't read the report this thing will probably get tossed.

(And by the way, if you have a complete investigator's report, there probably wouldn't be a need to have the investigator at the meeting at which the panel discussed an outcome.)

For those of us who drafted him already, have you received any trade offers? What would you be looking to get in return? The inquires have begun for my league.

As much as I love A Song of Ice and Fire (my avatar is Robert at the Trident for crying out loud), this is the Zeke thread. If y'all want to discuss the books or it's screen "adaptation," Pm each other or create an off topic thread.

The Cowboys just cut Hillman.

Hmmm... ?

"It is a surprise after Hillman worked as the No. 3 back in the third preseason game. A veteran whose contract will guarantee if he is on the roster Week 1, it is possible the Cowboys bring him back later in the season. Releasing him suggests Dallas both believes Ezekiel Elliott will be available Week 1 and plan to keep Alfred Morris."

3 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

The Cowboys just cut Hillman.

Hmmm... ?

"It is a surprise after Hillman worked as the No. 3 back in the third preseason game. A veteran whose contract will guarantee if he is on the roster Week 1, it is possible the Cowboys bring him back later in the season. Releasing him suggests Dallas both believes Ezekiel Elliott will be available Week 1 and plan to keep Alfred Morris."

Can't they just resign him if the suspension stands?

Drafting soon..anything new?

Does it look like he will not miss time?   I don't want to draft him and he serves a suspension later in the season.

Just now, DLG10 said:

Drafting soon..anything new?

Does it look like he will not miss time?   I don't want to draft him and he serves a suspension later in the season.

Nothing definate, but looking favorable so far.  Better get DMC in the 7th or 8th to feel comfortable.  

This thread will be fun. Either people will be pissed they passed on him and he doesn't serve time. Or other people will come in here pissed they decided to draft him in 1st round and his suspension remains in place. Pissed people incoming....

2 hours ago, coffey22 said:

and then there are a lot of people like me who are neither and have a draft this weekend and are trying to figure out where to realistically draft zeke. 

If he's there in the 2nd you pull the trigger every single time 

3 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

This thread will be fun. Either people will be pissed they passed on him and he doesn't serve time. Or other people will come in here pissed they decided to draft him in 1st round and his suspension remains in place. Pissed people incoming....

And there will also be some people who drafted him in the 3rd and paired him with DJ or Leveon and now scaring the sh** out of their leagues.