Willsea33

Jake Arrieta 2017 Outlook

1 hour ago, Travdaddy10 said:

Velo down now. Sell now before he starts playing some decent lineups.

It's not though, so...? His velocity was at 93-94 last time.

7 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

It's not though, so...? His velocity was at 93-94 last time.

I thought so too.  I watched a few innings against the Brewers and saw him hitting 93-94 with some ridiculous movement on his breaking stuff.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:30 PM, ryno1980 said:

Kale juice maybe. Just dumb, man. He's a workout freak and health food freak.

People don't drink it for the health benefits,they drink it because it's aesthetically pleasing and tastes so good.

2 hours ago, Travdaddy10 said:

Velo down now. Sell now before he starts playing some decent lineups.

Why would anyone do that?

How's the velocity looking today?

Still think he's due for some more regression

16 minutes ago, Chuckles said:

Well.....not too good today....is the time of Jake gone for good??

Yeah just drop him like I had to dump Kershaw after his last start in Colorado and Lester after his start yesterday and Kluber a couple of starts ago.

I think by leaving him in there to bleed to death,they're making it more than clear about free agency.

Don't come back,Jack(you either Jake).

The final line wasn't that bad. 8K and a win in all likelihood. I'll take it for an off day.

Yeah, owning Jake last year he had a couple of these where it looked like a trash job early but he gutted it out for an ugly win.  Glad he was able to right the ship.

Well that error in the first hurt.  And last week the bullpen blew a win.  So , we'll take it

Could of been a disaster.  At least unlike Darvish when the going got tough he didn't wilt to the pressure.  He grinded it out had good Ks, got the win, didn't torch the whip.  I owned him last year and his command was just seemingly spotty all year.  He ended with nice numbers but a huge increase in walk rate and massive spike in wild pitches.  I'm curious to see who he is this year.  Don't have any shares but there seems to be some mixed opinions about whether or not he'll ever have a major crash down regression or not.  

Edited by Cmilne23

On 4/22/2017 at 2:33 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah just drop him like I had to dump Kershaw after his last start in Colorado and Lester after his start yesterday and Kluber a couple of starts ago.

I don't own him.  But you can see he isn't the same pitcher he was in 2015 and early 2016.

Have a bad feeling about going in Boston tomorrow, is it crazy to think about sitting him?

The Red Sox get a lot of hits and they don't strike out a lot. They are dead last in home runs.

Arrieta has given up 5HRs in last 3 starts...2 to CIN, 2 to PIT, 1 to MIL. He has also allowed 3ER+ in 3 consecutive starts.

On WED Luis Severino: 7IP, 0ER, 3H vs BOS. Yankees win.

On THU Masahiro Tinaka: 9IP, 0ER, 3H vs BOS. Yankees win.

*On FRI Jake Arrieta: 6IP, 3ER, 6H vs BOS.

Cubs win.

I don't expect the Red Sox to get shutout by a starting pitcher 3 games in a row at home. However, the Red Sox are slumping right now and have scored 2 runs or less in 4 of their last 5 games so anything is possible.

Edited by Pablo989
Spelling typo

Getting completely rocked right now. After retiring the first batter 7 straight and counting have now reached.

Obviously there are plenty of reasons to be worried about Arrieta. But can anyone out there give us any reasons NOT to be worried about him?

Last weekend against the Reds and tonight were both instances where he got pounded in the first inning and then settled in to limit the damage.  If the coaches can pick up on something he's doing differently early on, either with mechanics, pitch sequencing, whatever --maybe they can correct it.

He seemed to have command for the most part, but he's just been very hittable lately.  Velocity was fine.

Given all of the slop that's out there in the SP2 and lower tiers, I don't think we have any choice but to hang on and hope he can return to his ace form.

He's got a complex delivery.  Id have to break down how he's pitching with runners on base.  Some guys mechanics go out of whack when pitching in wind vs the stretch.  Carlos Martinez is suffering from similar issues right now.  My guess is he needs an alignment but I haven't dug too deep into him yet. 

Edited by Cmilne23

Granted it was @BOS but  I have seen many supposedly lesser pitchers at least have decent outings against them. His last 2 starts were disappointing and this start was bitterly disappointing. He is a bust so far.

14 hours ago, miamifin33 said:

Obviously there are plenty of reasons to be worried about Arrieta. But can anyone out there give us any reasons NOT to be worried about him?

He was an NL pitcher that struggled in an AL park (and a hitters park at that). That happens a lot. For all the chatter about the Red Sox slow start, they have a line up that can put up runs at any time. I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned about Arrieta, but:

K% & K-BB% in line with 2014-15 seasons

Overall contact and zone contacts would be lowest of his career

xFIP is 3.17

Big negatives have been the velo drop, and uptick in fly balls, and a massive (more than double) hr/9 rate. Let's say he does have a higher homer rate this year... I give it a 0% chance it's this high. The Jake of old is probably gone, but I don't see any reason he can't be a sub-3.50 era guy if he continues to miss bats and limit contact. 

Considering he's at the plate right now in the 14th inning at 1:30 AM EST in Chicago and he's got to pitch tomorrow night in Denver...  Easy sit for me.  He hasn't been looking like an SP1 so far, and SP1 types are the only ones I start at Coors.  I'll make up those innings somewhere else.

Yea I'm not in the mood for torched ratios on a Monday thanks to Coors, easy sit and hope he does well to inspire confidence