BeantownBashers

Tyler Skaggs 2017 Outlook

Total gamble here. Obviously health is a big concern, and he didn't look great in his brief MLB stint last year, but he had a very dominant minor league rehab, and had terrific fastball velocity and a dominant curve. Curious to hear others' thoughts on him.

29 minutes ago, BeantownBashers said:

Total gamble here. Obviously health is a big concern, and he didn't look great in his brief MLB stint last year, but he had a very dominant minor league rehab, and had terrific fastball velocity and a dominant curve. Curious to hear others' thoughts on him.

I like him but in H2H he probably won't be there for the playoffs.He only threw 89 innings in 2016.

I think he's a streamable option to pay attention to during the season, but doesn't need to be drafted, except in deep leagues 

On 2017-03-25 at 6:56 PM, Resident A-hole said:

I grabbed him in the 20th round of a 12-teamer as my SP8. Hoping for potential SP5 numbers.

All the major projection systems have him pegged for about 130-140 innings this year... tough to see him getting up into the SP5 range with that kind of innings limit.  Worth a flyer at the end of drafts I guess.

Was not all that bad, really. One rough inning where he lost FB command. Was 90-94 all day. The curve was mostly a nice weapon, and he went to it often--maybe too much. But when he did miss it was usually buried in the zone. I really did not see much of a 3rd pitch, which is problematic. I think the command will come with reps, he's just a poor bet to ever remain healthy. Still in that park, with a good defense and a weak div slate I would not lose faith...yet-

26 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Was not all that bad, really. One rough inning where he lost FB command. Was 90-94 all day. The curve was mostly a nice weapon, and he went to it often--maybe too much. But when he did miss it was usually buried in the zone. I really did not see much of a 3rd pitch, which is problematic. I think the command will come with reps, he's just a poor bet to ever remain healthy. Still in that park, with a good defense and a weak div slate I would not lose faith...yet-

He threw 9 changes in 89 pitches which is enough for me.

But the Fastball command is really everything here. He's Blake Snell-lite right now in a lot of ways-- though I think his route to command is easier. The Curve is just a phenomenal pitch IMO and it was good today too. Gave up one hit, got 3 outs in play, but more importantly got 6 Whiffs in 29 pitches for a 20+% Whiff rate on the pitch. 

Dropped, and to think at one time my Dbacks had him as one of our top prospects (among many others traded away).

Keep in mind at least for the long term he still is returning from TJS, so control may take a while. Maybe he never puts it together but I'm still a fan of the stuff. 

I haven't seen him pitch yet this year. Is he just missing location and the "stuff" is there? Or is he just not that good?

@taobball I like you take on the curve, but if his FB is just 90-94 and flat, with a mediocre change up and bad control it might take him longer to figure it out than I'm comfortable waiting.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:58 PM, Tugginroot said:

Dropped, and to think at one time my Dbacks had him as one of our top prospects (among many others traded away).

Yeah I remember Skaggs and Bauer were supposed to be your aces of the future :blink:

there is hope, but not worth keeping.

Nay-sayers said nay, but this kid has plenty of talent. Just needs some innings to get right yet. Did not get much time in ST remember.

Anyone trotting him out there vs. Toronto for Sat's game? in stark contrast to last year, throwing anyone out there against the slumping badly Blue Jays seems like a decent bet these days.

-Looked good last outing

-Tor has been very bad all year

-Teams are burnt out from a long extra inning affair last night

-East coast team with a real late night

Baseball rules dictates he'll probably get bombed then tonight, lol.

17 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Lefties @TORONTO is a recipe for ratio disaster. 

The blue jays are a top 10 lineup just waiting to breakout. 

They are?  I don't see their lineup as all that intimidating anymore.

Bautista, Morales, Pearce, and Tulowitzki mash lefties and they'll be at home in a notorious hitter's park. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

They are sitting middle of the road with a .241 avg and 18 runs scored against lefties on the year.  I have a 2.30 lead in ERA so I am gonna throw him out there today. 

9 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Bautista, Morales, Pearce, and Tulowitzki mash lefties and they'll be at home in a notorious hitter's park. 

LAA is not a hitters park. I think you're misinformed on where they play or didn't read my post at all?