fawkes_mulder

Mitchell White -- SP Dodgers

Probably deserves a thread.

From BP's MMTP:

I wrote a good bit about White in our Dodgers Top Ten a few weeks back, but felt he warranted further advocacy in this here space as well. He’s a rare bird, in that he already has an arsenal capable of carving up left-handed hitters in spite of possessing very little in the way of a developed changeup. That’s because his cutter is an absolute weapon, holding plane effectively while it wanders to the glove side with well-above-average (and late) horizontal action. He can get in the kitchen as well as anybody I saw last year, and while the curve can lack for bite, it already shows quality depth that can generate field trips out of the zone. This all takes for granted a lively fastball that sits 91-93 right now, too. He generates quality extension to slot, and his velocity plays up a tick because of it. There’s some effort in the delivery, and it’s an up-tempo pace that can get too quick at times right now. The lack of a workload to date also makes him vulnerable to durability questions until he can build up some innings. But the frame is large and athletic, he controls it very well pitch to pitch, and I see a straight path to above-average command. Between White and the more-heralded Walker Buehler, the Dodgers have a couple very interesting post-surgery right-handers to monitor next year, and for my money there isn’t a ton of daylight between them. After crossing into triple-digit innings last year and looking no worse for the wear by the end of it, White has the potential to explode up prospect lists with 140-150 quality innings up into the high minors this season. —Wilson Karaman

paywall article, but the quoted excerpt is available to everyone

• Like 2

My favorite college pitcher out of the draft.  Was expected to be drafted but was a total surprise when The Dodgers (a great organization at scouting pitching) garbed him in the 2nd round.  White didn't pitch much until college (post Tommy John Surgery).  Played travel ball with other guys who have been drafted Rowdy Tellez among others where he rarely pitched.  So I can see the learning curve growing much more than most pitchers out of last June's draft. 

White really started to polish his secondary stuff last year.  Improving his change up and adding a cutter to his fastball curve.  White was reportedly hitting 96, 97 in his last NCAA start (where he didn't fare so well).

White advanced higher up the minor league ladder than both Puk and Quantrill despite being almost an unknown going into the draft.  That in itself should speak for the type of talent this kid has.  

I think his prospect stock could absolutely sky rocket.  I honestly think there's a small chance he could end the season pitching out of the pen for The Dodgers.  Small chance but with how quickly he's rose through the ranks in his first year of proball I wouldn't rule it out.

• Like 2

I think I recall reading he only pitched under 25 innings (will have to double check this) his senior year in highschool... Which usually a highschool ace is 50+ innings (depending on how deep of a staff and how deep the team goes in the playoffs).  So he's certainly shown some big time improvement from his senior year in highschool. 

He's in the California League just like A.J. Puk and Cal Quantrill (who was dominant in his first start as well).  Mitchell White's talent level is right on par with these guys yet he doesn't have any hype surrounding him ... yet.

2 hours ago, FouLLine said:

He's in the California League just like A.J. Puk and Cal Quantrill (who was dominant in his first start as well).  Mitchell White's talent level is right on par with these guys yet he doesn't have any hype surrounding him ... yet.

Now is the time guys. If guys like Quanttill are easily owned in your league, this guy has to be on a roster 

Basically, I think if youre league goes 150-200 deep, he has to be owned. If your leagues goes 75-150 deep, its going to depend how strong your guys are. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Now is the time guys. If guys like Quanttill are easily owned in your league, this guy has to be on a roster 

Basically, I think if youre league goes 150-200 deep, he has to be owned. If your leagues goes 75-150 deep, its going to depend how strong your guys are. 

Roster him everywhere.  He could be the best college pitcher out of last June's draft.

• Like 1

My bro scouted him and knows the minor league coach...they both couldn't stop raving about him. I'll leave it at that for now.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

Would you rather pick him up over someone like Oscar De La Cruz?

yes by a mile

OK, I'm sold...have a sup draft in 9 days and he's my number one pick. I think Tatis Jr. will be my second pick and I will trade my remaining 4. 

It's funny just a 3 or so hours ago I decided not to draft De La Cruz with a third pick and instead wait a month for the next sup draft and reevaluate.

Not many owners looking for low minor league talent in my league....  

15 hours ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Sadly, he is not in ESPN's database. 

ESPN is not a friendly platform for keeper/dynasties leagues unless you also have a communal excel spreadsheet. Our league likes the ui/ux with ESPN and supplements with the spreadsheet, but it is pretty frustrating. Last year, Brock Stewart was called up and ESPN didn't add him to the database for weeks.

Trying to convince the league to move to fantrax, but people are stuck in their ways. At least ESPN is better than CBS, lol.

4 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

yes by a mile

Huh, good to know. Oscar did go 5IP, 5H, 0ER, 2BB, 5K tonight. 

I'm currently hoarding Glasnow, Keller, Allard, McKenzie and Max Fried. I'll add this guy too.

Just now, 12to6 said:

Huh, good to know. Oscar did go 5IP, 5H, 0ER, 2BB, 5K tonight. 

I'm currently hoarding Glasnow, Keller, Allard, McKenzie and Max Fried. I'll add this guy too.

Didn't really mean to throw shade at de la cruz, I like him too. Just trying to emphasize how impact I think White can be / how much hype he can get. 

Edited by fawkes_mulder

Just now, fawkes_mulder said:

Didn't really mean to throw shade at de la cruz, I like him too.

No I get it. When comparing two, one has to come first :)

• Like 1

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to value him similarly to Jason Groome, who was #29 on Baseball Prospectus t101. Shoot, White is 22 vs. 18 for Groome, and is coming off college experience.

I know that might sound pretty radical, and I don't expect the market to get there YET, but it won't surprise me if that's the kind of riser White is this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to value him similarly to Jason Groome, who was #29 on Baseball Prospectus t101. Shoot, White is 22 vs. 18 for Groome, and is coming off college experience.

I know that might sound pretty radical, and I don't expect the market to get there YET, but it won't surprise me if that's the kind of riser White is this year.

You think that's how he should be valued currently or how he might be depending on whether he has the results?

1 minute ago, 12to6 said:

You think that's how he should be valued currently or how he might be depending on whether he has the results?

Currently, but I know few will agree with me YET.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

4 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Currently, but I know few will agree with me YET.

Fair enough. I'm not sure I can drop any of my current minor leaguers for him yet - or who I would if I could - but he's on my shortlist. Maybe when Glasnow establishes himself in the major league rotation...

FYI Mitchell white goes again tonight. 

That quakes rotation is going to be stacked one Alvarez joins them. 

Yadier alvarez

walker buehler

mitchell white

dennis santana

imani Abdullah when he leaves extended.