Fort4242

Robert Kelley 2017 Outlook

I hadn't seen a thread on Fat Rob for 2017 yet.  Obviously he's not a world beater, but had some nice games late last year and seemed to become the Redskin's workhorse once they realized Matt Jones is a bum.  As it sits right now, the Redskins backfield is the same as last year with Kelley, Jones, Thompson and Marshall.  If anything, I think maybe they draft a late RB to replace Jones, but I can't see RB being a high pick since they need a new WR or 2, and some defensive upgrades.  This guy is one of my keeper options, so I'm hoping to get some conversation started.

Obviously I think the Redskins offense as a whole might be in for some regression with the loss of Jackson and Garcon, but they still have Cousins, Reed, Crowder, and now Pryor.  

Also, one thing I was looking into yesterday, was their offensive coordinator, Matt Cavanaugh.  Now obviously Gruden is the HC and will most likely have control over the offense, but wherever Cavanaugh has been the OC, there have been some potent rushing attacks.  Willie Parker was a stud back when Cavanaugh was in Pitt, and Jamal Lewis had some solid seasons under Cavanaugh, including his 2,000 yard season.

So for me, I think Kelley can be a rock solid RB2, with some RB1 games sprinkled in.  Obviously he is a bit under whelming in the passing game, but he is absolutely serviceable.

What does everyone think of Fat Rob for next year?

I have no outlook on him until I see some preseason games. he was a great pick off the waiver fro me  however matt jones could win back the starting role or 50/50 split  if he has a great camp and wins the coaches confidence back

13 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I have no outlook on him until I see some preseason games. he was a great pick off the waiver fro me  however matt jones could win back the starting role or 50/50 split  if he has a great camp and wins the coaches confidence back

Jones has more talent than Kelley, so the possibility exists.

The challenge is the fumbling... being a healthy scratch for 8 games is a serious indicator of "no confidence".

He can flash in practice, but ultimately he fumbled the job away...

Mack Brown may actually have late/last round flyer value.

Edited by Winky

26 minutes ago, Winky said:

The challenge is the fumbling... being a healthy scratch for 8 games is a serious indicator of "no confidence".

Mack Brown will never make an impact in the NFL. Rob Kelley is a plodder. Matt Jones is not good. Redskins should sign or draft a RB and I bet they do. 

32 minutes ago, Winky said:

Jones is no more talented. And he is in the dog house.

I like Mack Brown as well though. If they don't pursue any other RBs in the draft Brown is the handcuff imo.

2 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

I hadn't seen a thread on Fat Rob for 2017 yet.  Obviously he's not a world beater, but had some nice games late last year and seemed to become the Redskin's workhorse once they realized Matt Jones is a bum.  As it sits right now, the Redskins backfield is the same as last year with Kelley, Jones, Thompson and Marshall.  If anything, I think maybe they draft a late RB to replace Jones, but I can't see RB being a high pick since they need a new WR or 2, and some defensive upgrades.  This guy is one of my keeper options, so I'm hoping to get some conversation started.

Obviously I think the Redskins offense as a whole might be in for some regression with the loss of Jackson and Garcon, but they still have Cousins, Reed, Crowder, and now Pryor.  

Also, one thing I was looking into yesterday, was their offensive coordinator, Matt Cavanaugh.  Now obviously Gruden is the HC and will most likely have control over the offense, but wherever Cavanaugh has been the OC, there have been some potent rushing attacks.  Willie Parker was a stud back when Cavanaugh was in Pitt, and Jamal Lewis had some solid seasons under Cavanaugh, including his 2,000 yard season.

So for me, I think Kelley can be a rock solid RB2, with some RB1 games sprinkled in.  Obviously he is a bit under whelming in the passing game, but he is absolutely serviceable.

What does everyone think of Fat Rob for next year?

I'm expecting Washington to draft a rb in the first three rounds.   But with an unknown braintrust who knows? 

Matt Jones is far more talented... and far more frustrating:angry:

More explosion, faster,better receiver ... and gets less done with all of that

1 hour ago, howlin' 2 said:

Matt Jones is far more talented... and far more frustrating:angry:

More explosion, faster,better receiver ... and gets less done with all of that

He massively underwhelmed at Florida in college, so it isn't a real surprise. He was a top tier talent coming out of HS and has floundered since.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

He massively underwhelmed at Florida in college, so it isn't a real surprise. He was a top tier talent coming out of HS and has floundered since.

Jones hasn't floundered. He was actually quite impressive last year while carrying the football, particularly at home. He just doesn't know how to carry it without fumbling; and I'm not sure he can learn that at this point considering all the measures they took in the 2016 offseason. Kelley is replacement-level talent. Tim Hightower visited the Redskins today. That's not the answer either. Kelley will go higher in drafts if named the starter early in camp. But I'd rather spend a late double-digit round flyer on Jones (if they don't draft an RB high), and just drop him when he inevitably starts dropping the football again.

Is Keith Marshall still on this roster? Regardless, I'm sure that they will add at least one RB in the draft. Kelley is just average at best.

Kelley may not have an outlook in one month. 

Any back drafted in any round could probably do Kelley's job better than he does. Props for being a fantasy folk hero for a stretch in 2016 but it's over.

On 3/23/2017 at 9:49 AM, Fort4242 said:

"If anything, I think maybe they draft a late RB to replace Jones, but I can't see RB being a high pick since they need a new WR or 2, and some defensive upgrades. This guy is one of my keeper options, so I'm hoping to get some conversation started. ... Now obviously Gruden is the HC and will most likely have control over the offense, but wherever Cavanaugh has been the OC, there have been some potent rushing attacks. ... So for me, I think Kelley can be a rock solid RB2, with some RB1 games sprinkled in. ... What does everyone think of Fat Rob for next year?"

Fair to assume, Matt Jones isn't being anointed anything ever again, at least not by Jay Gruden. However, others are right, if they see him carrying the football differently (both hands, both forearms through traffic), he's apt to regain their confidence. He wasn't beleaguered or outperformed by Kelley, but rather benched for putting the ball on the ground down near the goal. If they carried him in the event of, well, that's over, they'd have released him already. Indeed, Gruden has been quoted as saying that no one in the organization has given up on him. Also as noted, he was doing well when Gruden shut him down.

Kelley is what I refer to as a weak lead, but I do think he starts the season as their RB1. Never know, he could be working his butt off right now & show up in the best shape he's ever been in. Perhaps you can just add Jones, he's waiver stuff right? He's definitely a target of mine, until he's not. e; There's reason to believe the team could go RB early & if they land a top prospect, that's it. But if they look to upgrade the DL, LB & perhaps a WR, the mid-round workhorse that I like is Samaje Perine. I haven't seen him play yet, but I really like what I've read so far. 

As I've said before, what their run game lacked is any help on the perimeter. Mainly Reed & Jackson, but Crowder's no blocker either & Gruden didn't carry a FB. If they address WR I think the guy they may target is JuJu Smith-Schuster. The team has a bunch of TEs but none of them can block & receive, 'cept Sir Geezer. They have 10 picks & there are several mid-round guys that give them that HB/traditional TE versatility. Should they add these two pieces or accomplish it some other way, that run game is on!          

I think Pryor has shown to be capable at run-blocking. I could be wrong though.

I looked some and did find this article, the url shows the date:

"During the preseason, perimeter blocking was terrible. Neither Gary Barnidge nor Terrelle Pryor run blocked effectively. As a result, the Browns had no running game during the preseason. Once the season came along, perimeter blocking picked up. Terrelle Pryor even received penalties for excessive roughness and blocking downfield early in run blocking situations. Gary Barnidge also picked up his run blocking. He began to block effectively on the edge of the line. However, over the past two weeks, both Barnidge and Pryor have missed significant blocks on the edge. Further compounding the issue is that if Pryor could crack back upon a safety in the box, the outside power game would be wide open. By putting eight in the box, a receiver is usually one-on-one outside the formation. Any semblance of blocking on the edge of the formation and on the perimeter will fix the run game immediately." https://dawgpounddaily.com/2016/10/19/cleveland-browns-what-is-wrong-with-the-running-game/

So through the first six games of the season both Pryor & Gary Barnidge weren't very good. Doesn't mean Pryor didn't improve as the season progressed, just that, looking at the team's rushing totals, those didn't get any better. When Gruden came over from Cincinnati I reviewed some of what he did there & he was running two & three TE sets even back then. I recall him moving around Orson Charles, often used as an h-back. The fact that he wasn't running FB then or now suggests that he does want that player & this draft offers a couple guys. But they also need better production from the guys on the wing. Hopefully Pryor, Doctson & Quick will be upgrades. Over DeSean Jackson... shouldn't take much.    

Pryor and Barnidge's blocking probably fell when the Brown's OLine crumbled.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, wonderbread said:

Is Keith Marshall still on this roster?

You mean...the fastest piece of glass ever made?

@Iron-cock

tenor.gif

Don't call him 'fat' Rob, anymore.

Source: CSNMidAtlantic.com - Rich Tandler

Washington Redskins RB Rob Kelley is in shape and ready for the season, according to sources.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

That's good news for Kelley as he's likely to be pushed -- hard -- by rookie Samaje Perine (Oklahoma). Washington selected Perine in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL draft, and he's one of our favorite big RBs from this class. This is going to be a camp battle fantasy owners have to monitor closely during the preseason.

8 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Perine is the RB to own on this team, especially long term

I'm going to wait for preseason to see, but I'd put money on Rob as the workhorse and Perine(handcuff)

7 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I'm going to wait for preseason to see, but I'd put money on Rob as the workhorse and Perine(handcuff)

Possibly, but most teams don't use a 4th rounder if they are happy with the production they got from their cheap late round RB the year before.

2 hours ago, petekrum said:

Possibly, but most teams don't use a 4th rounder if they are happy with the production they got from their cheap late round RB the year before.

Really?

Demarco Murray was a 4th rounder if I'm not mistaken 

Dak was 4th rounder. 

Possibly, but a lot of teams draft the best available player. 

23 hours ago, petekrum said:

4th round isn't a high draft pick. Teams are always looking to build depth at weak spots on their team. RB has been a weak spot on the Redskins, so it makes sense to build up the depth. The job is Kelley's to lose.

20 hours ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Really?

Demarco Murray was a 4th rounder if I'm not mistaken 

Dak was 4th rounder. 

Possibly, but a lot of teams draft the best available player. 

Murray was a 3rd round pick who in his rookie year started off as the third string option.  He did miss games in his first two season's but never hit more then 200+ carries until year 3.  Given how average overall the RB core was for Dallas, it was good to invest in Murray as he slipped to the 3rd that day.

Dak, well, i think thats a pretty easy one to figure out.  He started out of necessity only.  Luckily it went well in year 1. Don't forget Dak was the second pick the Cowboys made in the 4th round.  Tapper was the first selection in that round.  Given Romo's age and injury history it was a no brainer in that draft a QB would come off the board for the Boys at some point

This Skins team has now drafted Jones(3rd round), Marshall(7th rounder), then due to injury or lack of production/fumbles went with an UDFA in Kelly.  They are cleary looking for more then depth, they are looking for THE guy to carry the load.  Kelly played pretty well but this job is not even close to his to lose, IMO. He will have to earn it from camp day 1, IMO.  This job is WIDE open and if anyone has watched Perine play over the course of his college career consistently, you should understand he's going to push Kelly for that job probably starting now and into camp.  I expect the day one starter could be Kelly, but i don't expect it to remain that way for long

19 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

This Skins team has now drafted Jones(3rd round), Marshall(7th rounder), then due to injury or lack of production/fumbles went with an UDFA in Kelly.  They are cleary looking for more then depth, they are looking for THE guy to carry the load.  Kelly played pretty well but this job is not even close to his to lose, IMO. He will have to earn it from camp day 1, IMO.  This job is WIDE open and if anyone has watched Perine play over the course of his college career consistently, you should understand he's going to push Kelly for that job probably starting now and into camp.  I expect the day one starter could be Kelly, but i don't expect it to remain that way for long

Couldn't agree more.  Kelley was the guy by default last season when Jones was banged up and ineffective.  Marshall was never healthy and I suspect never will be.  They are an aerial assault team with weapons all over the field including a top TE- which makes sense using a rb who is steady but not explosive or turnover prone.   But that will only get you so far.  

IMO this is Perine's job unless Kelley goes out and takes it. 

53 minutes ago, devaster said:

4th round isn't a high draft pick. Teams are always looking to build depth at weak spots on their team. RB has been a weak spot on the Redskins, so it makes sense to build up the depth. The job is Kelley's to lose.

Well, he's gonna lose it. Just a matter of time. Sell now while he has any value.