Osu1456

Yonder Alonso 2017 Outlook

8 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

True, but for a guy with his exit velocity, it's better to put it in the air vs on the ground. His flyballs have a better than league average chance to be a hit since they are hit so hard, they can make it past an outfielder to the wall or hit over the wall for a HR.

Oh, I absolutely agree more flyballs is better overall. It's just that it's not better for batting average in specific. It's way better for overall offensive production

1 hour ago, rrrich46 said:

Many experienced managers look to past production and current projections before making a move.  Yonder has been nothing more than a fill-in WW guy until now. It's easy (and understandable) to dismiss his 2017 production to date as a hot streak, given that a true breakout at age 30 is generally unlikely.  That being said,it looks like he's made a significant change in his approach. The stat/analysis minded owners likely scooped him up weeks ago, but not all leagues are like that....

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/yonder-alonso-has-changed-his-mind/

I get all of that, but he was pretty much at his career best for homers in a season last week after winning player of the week honors. If he truly is just a ww phenomenon, that would have been the time to pick him up.

Like anything else, there is tender balance on deciding to be in the wait and see crowd or to be aggressive in early season pick ups. It's likely that those waiting for more proof missed out on Alonso, Gallo, Judge, Thames and Reynolds. These guys comprise 5 of the 8 leaders in homers at this point.

That includes myself, who only has one of those names. It's tough to make that choice sometimes.

3 minutes ago, profart said:

5 oh-fers in 6 games since I picked him up. Sorry Alonso owners.

Good job...

On 5/14/2017 at 10:41 AM, warningtrackpower said:

I get all of that, but he was pretty much at his career best for homers in a season last week after winning player of the week honors. If he truly is just a ww phenomenon, that would have been the time to pick him up.

Like anything else, there is tender balance on deciding to be in the wait and see crowd or to be aggressive in early season pick ups. It's likely that those waiting for more proof missed out on Alonso, Gallo, Judge, Thames and Reynolds. These guys comprise 5 of the 8 leaders in homers at this point.

That includes myself, who only has one of those names. It's tough to make that choice sometimes.

The only one of those five that were not drafted in my keeper league was Alonso. Depending on the league, these weren't necessarily WW names...though I'd imagine Alonso was probably available in all but deep AL only leagues, lol. 

14 hours ago, profart said:

Ya jerk. Thanks a lot. Lol. 

51 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

The only one of those five that were not drafted in my keeper league was Alonso. Depending on the league, these weren't necessarily WW names...though I'd imagine Alonso was probably available in all but deep AL only leagues, lol. 

Those were for instances, realizing there are different league types. Reynolds, Alonso, and Gallo were all on the waiver wire at some point in my league.

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Ya jerk. Thanks a lot. Lol. 

I humbly apologise. I figure I should probably bench him from here on out, for all you suffering owners out there... Lol.

In all seriousness though, him and Khris are murdering me at the moment.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:41 AM, profart said:

Yup me too. I haven't gotten a chance to watch him hit other than the highlighted HRs. Anyone have any insight on how he's looked last couple of days?

I'm guessing people haven't posted any news about his injury because they just dropped him at the first sign of trouble?

Edited by Fiveohnine

2 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I'm guessing people haven't posted any news about his injury because they just dropped him at the first sign of trouble?

What news?

His injury/removal was mentioned, but i havent seen any new reports today.

I just mean he's been a top 10 1B so I would have expected to see some kind of news in here. But maybe no one in the press cares either.

3 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I just mean he's been a top 10 1B so I would have expected to see some kind of news in here. But maybe no one in the press cares either.

Or you know he plays for a west coast team who isn't playing a game until 10PM Eastern tonight and there is nothing to report at this time...

2 minutes ago, David Aames said:

nothing to see here.....hot start...fizzling out now. Back to his usual self

That's a baseless statement -- he's fundamentally changed his approach. He might need to adjust, but there's more evidence to support he wont return to his "usual self."

Just now, jamesisharden said:

That's a baseless statement -- he's fundamentally changed his approach. He might need to adjust, but there's more evidence to support he wont return to his "usual self."

Nevertheless, he's been pretty bad for about a week and has about a 5 weeks worth of track record of success. I'm holding him but it is just as likely the league has adjusted to him as he has made adjustments.

More of a bench coach approach,  but seriously entertaining the idea of dropping for Bell who is mashing lately 

5 hours ago, urban2014 said:

More of a bench coach approach,  but seriously entertaining the idea of dropping for Bell who is mashing lately 

I own Yonder too and don't have room for him, thought about dropping him for bell as well.

26 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I own Yonder too and don't have room for him, thought about dropping him for bell as well.

Thank you for this post. Just made the switch.

I agree...5 weeks of goodness and a big day to day tag is not worth it.

Not with about five other really good players on the DL and only 2 DL slots. Sometimes you have to mix and match and ride the hot bat.

Hello Bell.