pittsports87

Kenta Maeda 2017 Outlook

Thanks @pittsports87 for looking a little deeper there.

I have to say his line is ugly but I very much like watching him pitch.  He gets some strange movement on some of his pitches.  I'm excited to see if this develops into an out pitch for lefties as that will help him take the next step. 

4 hours ago, PirateFan43 said:

In standard 5x5 Roto, where would you rank him the rest of the way? Top 30 SP?

I think he definitely will be.

did i miss something?  hes sitting with an era in 6's and a whip around 1.35 and has had one decent outing so far this year.  i drafted him hoping he would be top 30, so its a possibility, but until he strings together a couple of decent starts, that seems pretty optimistic.

8 minutes ago, herschel said:

did i miss something?  hes sitting with an era in 6's and a whip around 1.35 and has had one decent outing so far this year.  i drafted him hoping he would be top 30, so its a possibility, but until he strings together a couple of decent starts, that seems pretty optimistic.

Well it's all about opinion.  I personally think Kenta has gotten off to a slow start and has been unlucky with some real tough matchups so far.  I believe he has the talent and will be a top 30 SP ROS.   Here are some other guys who would be right around that mark:

Julio Teheran, Jameson Taillon, John Lackey, Michael Fulmer and Aaron Sanchez

I think that is the same company Kenta belongs in and I believe he could easily finish ahead of any or all of those pitchers.  But once again, that is strictly my opinion.

I'm trying to buy low on Kenta. I have full faith he's going to turn things around. Tanaka's numbers were recently just as inflated from a bad start and now he's run off four in a row. I see Kenta flowing a similar pattern.

Looks like a decent buy low but perhaps the MLB has caught up to him after a great 1h last year. 2h numbers weren't great & he usually struggles to go deep into games.

FWIW Pouliot has him 245 overall in his May rankings:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/mlb/71832/2/may-top-300-overall

I've seen him ranked in the top 20 for SPs. Valuations all over the map for this guy.

6 minutes ago, PirateFan43 said:

Looks like a decent buy low but perhaps the MLB has caught up to him after a great 1h last year. 2h numbers weren't great & he usually struggles to go deep into games.

I've seen him ranked in the top 20 for SPs. Valuations all over the map for this guy.

Those rankings are terrible. Maeda will be fine, a lot of his metrics grade out very well. 

The Siera and xFIP are 3.70 and 3.90. 

The K/9 is higher than 2016 at 9.35 and the K/BB is also improved.

He's given up a few long balls. Early season mistakes, or at least that's my hope.

27 minutes ago, ryno1980 said:

The Siera and xFIP are 3.70 and 3.90. 

The K/9 is higher than 2016 at 9.35 and the K/BB is also improved.

He's given up a few long balls. Early season mistakes, or at least that's my hope.

Also keep in mind those early season mistakes came @Colorado and @Arizona. Also the other crap start against Arizona was coming off a back to back match up which is never usually good for the pitcher. I like Kenta ROS. Excellent buy low imo 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Pitching is abysmal this year. I think he has a great shot at top 30. 

1 hour ago, PirateFan43 said:

Pouliot's rankings are worthless.  Do yourself a favour and just don't bother reading them from now on.

Maeda has well documented stamina issues apparently.  He just is such a drag in QS leagues and starts like these vs offenses like the Padres are just mediroce.  The K's are nice but I don't think he's a top 25 or even 30 pitcher.  

On 5/6/2017 at 7:06 AM, StarlinCastro said:

Maeda has well documented stamina issues apparently.  He just is such a drag in QS leagues and starts like these vs offenses like the Padres are just mediroce.  The K's are nice but I don't think he's a top 25 or even 30 pitcher.  

It shows in some of his peripherals. 

33,3 K% (First time through order) 

26,4 K% (Second time through order) 

11,5 K% (Third time through order) 

6 hours ago, rotoguy74 said:

@ Colorado this week over/under on 3 ER?

I'm awaiting news on what the Dodgers are going to do with their rotation. Him being listed @COL is dependent on the Dodgers starting McCarthy in the Pirates series or just skipping him, which Roberts was undecided on last night. I'm personally benching him if the weekly lineup deadline comes without clarity on that, just in case he's @COL.

32 minutes ago, Caelum said:

I'm awaiting news on what the Dodgers are going to do with their rotation. Him being listed @COL is dependent on the Dodgers starting McCarthy in the Pirates series or just skipping him, which Roberts was undecided on last night. I'm personally benching him if the weekly lineup deadline comes without clarity on that, just in case he's @COL.

http://www.truebluela.com/2017/5/8/15575296/dodgers-pirates-starting-pitchers-schedule-tv-info

On 5/6/2017 at 0:06 AM, StarlinCastro said:

Top 25 or 30. Heck we already know that. I'm just hoping that he can be a Top 50 SP at this point!

He was inside the top 20 in my league format last year. 

After 6 starts, he is borderline top 50? 

Im not buying that.

The only number off from last year is the homer/FB rate has doubled. 

He's allowed no homers in his last two outings, striking out 16 in 12 innings. 

Its still the same guy.

1 hour ago, herschel said:

has this been confirmed or just speculation?  mlb has urias pitching on wednesday.

That story changed a little from when I first linked it, and MLB still has TBD for tonight's starter, so who knows? I'm surprised we still don't have confirmation. Just hoping it comes before 6:00 CST.

10 minutes ago, Caelum said:

That story changed a little from when I first linked it, and MLB still has TBD for tonight's starter, so who knows? I'm surprised we still don't have confirmation. Just hoping it comes before 6:00 CST.

It's Wood tonight. No word on whether McCarthy is going tomorrow or at all vs the Pirates

9 minutes ago, street sharks said:

It's Wood tonight. No word on whether McCarthy is going tomorrow or at all vs the Pirates

Does this mean Maeda pitches on Wednesday against Pit?

Brandon McCarthy's (shoulder) turn in the Dodgers' rotation will be skipped.

McCarthy was pushed back from Saturday to Sunday after hurting his left (non-throwing) shoulder in the weight room, and then Sunday's game was rained out. Rather than have him take the ball Monday, the Dodgers have decided to just keep everyone else on turn and let McCarthy heal. Alex Wood will face the Pirates on Monday.