pittsports87

Kenta Maeda 2017 Outlook

Watching the game too -- he's definitely getting the shaft on borderline strike calls. Has looked frustrated at times, and with good reason. That said, ESPN broadcasters have noted his slider's not too sharp today. Relying more on the curveball after realizing the slider wasn't working.

12 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Whats up with the umpires missing so many calls on the Dodgers?   I watch a lot of baseball on MLB.tv and I see pretty much every team play week to week and I have never seen a team get so many calls go the wrong way like I do against the Dodgers.  It really is strange.

Lol I've been getting so shafted lately with both Hill and Maeda

(thank god for Alex Wood)

Starting to wonder if he's even worth owning in a 12-teamer. Uneven performances, 80-pitch outings more often than not, phantom DL stints -- that's what we've had so far. Will that change?

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I hope Maeda owners didn't expect him to win. Taken out after 82 pitches. Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

82 pitches, what the hell man

Maeda was pinch hit for. He was set to bat with 1 out and bases loaded in a 5-3 game.

I guess Roberts being the progressive manager he is reckoned that it'd be better to try to blow the game open at that juncture.

14 hours ago, william said:

wow so many errors and bad pitching/fielding by Maeda - I think this is karma for the Dodgers fake DL stint

Alex Wood's taken that phantom DL spot right now, but yep Maeda will likely be next up.

11 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Maeda was pinch hit for. He was set to bat with 1 out and bases loaded in a 5-3 game.

I guess Roberts being the progressive manager he is reckoned that it'd be better to try to blow the game open at that juncture.

Interesting, didn't realise that. Explains it, but it's still rare to see and pretty strange in honesty. May score you a few more runs but I'm not sure it's "progressive" if it burns through most of the bullpen in one night. 

What's up with this guy this year?  He's had some good stretches but overall has been pretty brutal.  He was brilliant in Japan for almost a decade and of course was very good last year, so the track record is there.  What is making this year different?

Not sure how healthy he was starting the year since he's been DL twice. He also had tough matchups getting COL/ARI 3 times starting the year. Seems like a couple games I've seen he's had a good deal of strikes called balls, and at times where he really needed them to be strikes with men on base.

One encouraging sign is some games he's given runs up early he's settled down and not killed the box score. I drafted him as a low damage guy because we chase H BB ER ERA and he's got a good home park/lineup, but has been a bumpy road so far. These 5 inning efforts kind of hurt too. I've had all 6 drafted SPS hot the DL this year, I've been hoping he'd come back fairly strong, but have considered dropping for Erod or Odorizzi.

24 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

What's up with this guy this year?  He's had some good stretches but overall has been pretty brutal.  He was brilliant in Japan for almost a decade and of course was very good last year, so the track record is there.  What is making this year different?

I still have faith in Maeda, in a season where I've had to drop Hamels and Gausman (for comparison).  The start prior to his DL stint was telling enough to be patient, considering his track record.  

4 minutes ago, 80version said:

I still have faith in Maeda, in a season where I've had to drop Hamels and Gausman (for comparison).  The start prior to his DL stint was telling enough to be patient, considering his track record.  

What are you getting off the wire? The best guy available in my league is Senzatela.

I'm holding and hoping he'll turn it around. I'm in a 10-teamer, I don't think there are many leagues where he's droppable.

He only made it through 4 IP with 92 pitches. He didn't even come out for the 5th.

I guess it turned out pretty well considering the 7 Ks and he wasn't going to get the win either way.

1 minute ago, Jor357 said:

Why did he only go 4 today ? Did he get hurt ? 

Well, 92 pitches isn't so much. But not so little either. He isn't too far removed from the DL for it to seem unreasonable.

4 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Well, 92 pitches isn't so much. But not so little either. He isn't too far removed from the DL for it to seem unreasonable.

6 minutes ago, Jor357 said:

Why did he only go 4 today ? Did he get hurt ? 

You wanna know why? Because the manager of the Dodgers is a retard and likes to take all his starters barring Kershaw out 1IP orr 2IP early (Ryu was taken out at 77 pitches when he swore he wouldnt) and wants to overtax the bullpen so they are horrific later in the year. 

Well, the real manager doesn't have the same luxury of a fantasy manager, who can just call a guy a moron for taking him out too early and still call him a moron for leaving him in there to pitch the 5th after 92 pitches and he gets blown up.

Edited by Fiveohnine

1 minute ago, S1mcity said:

You wanna know why? Because the manager of the Dodgers is a retard and likes to take all his starters barring Kershaw out 1IP orr 2IP early (Ryu was taken out at 77 pitches when he swore he wouldnt) and wants to overtax the bullpen so they are horrific later in the year. 

Sounds like you have followed the Dodgers a bit more closely than I have. I'm not saying you are wrong about the season as a whole, but for today only this wasn't the worst call. He didn't have good stuff. Brewers K more than anyone except the Rays so that stat isn't worth as much as the pitches thrown. If you roll him out in the 5th when would you pull him? Would you let him throw 115 pitches to get through 5 innings in a game you are losing so you can pinch hit for him in the top of the 6th? And your rotation has some question marks everywhere except Kershaw so I would want him fresh for his next rotation spot. It isn't like it will drastically change who you bring into the game when you are losing whether it is the 5th or 6th.

Long season I agree with you. He taxes the pen, but a lot of that is because Hill, Wood, Urias didn't have big pitch counts or struggle to finish innings quickly. I think this was a fine hook today. 

At this rate all the Dodgers starters aside from Kershaw are gonna have mid 4 ERAs all year since they don't pitch long enough in each outing. 1 or 2 runs allowed looks a lot worse when you're pitching 4-5 innings rather than 6-7

he really wasn't very good. walking guys after getting ahead 0-2. fastball around 91-92 that he just couldn't sneak by. command seemed very inconsistent. I wasn't at all surprised he got yanked in the 5th, I probably would have pulled him too. 

I'm holding because once he gets locked in, his movement and arsenal has pitches darting all over the place, and he is a very good pitcher.

but at the moment I think Tyler Chatwood and Jimmy Nelson types are a better bet to pitch a solid game. 

overall: a bit concerned, eager to see how he fares in his next start

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS