DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook

The Vegas win over under was 8.5 for Titans. So they're likely going to over achieve that or at worse be right around there. 

So the Titans are doing better than they expected to do but the coaches suck because a guy I watch once a week clearly isn't getting enough carries which hurts my fantasy team.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

The Vegas win over under was 8.5 for Titans. So they're likely going to over achieve that or at worse be right around there. 

So the Titans are doing better than they expected to do but the coaches suck because a guy I watch once a week clearly isn't getting enough carries which hurts my fantasy team.

They're lucky to have 8 wins. They've been outscored on the season. Football reference says they should be at 6.4 wins based on their performance. So they lucked into a win or 2. Not to mention free wins against the Colts which Vegas couldn't be sure of.

1 hour ago, theking759 said:

People in this thread don't realize coaches can be biased and sit the better player? As an Ohio State fan, I saw it happen all year at the qb position. Titans coaches clearly are biased towards Murray at the teams (and their own) expense. They don't even acknowledge Henry is the better rusher LOL. Henry is a back who would be most effective with 25 touches wearing the defense down. Murray is glue factory

I think “people in this thread” understand that relatively basic fact.  What certain people in this thread struggle to understand is that there is a reason Henry doesn’t receive more PT, despite being a better pure rusher at this juncture.

Just now, BMcP said:

I think “people in this thread” understand that relatively basic fact.  What certain people in this thread struggle to understand is that there is a reason Henry doesn’t receive more PT, despite being a better pure rusher at this juncture.

Because a coach is biased towards one player? I never fall into the coach is smart so he must have a good reason. Even if Murray is a better pass protector, Henry should get more early down work. He doesn't even get the majority of the goal line touches. It's just bad coaching, plain and simple

4 minutes ago, theking759 said:

Because a coach is biased towards one player? I never fall into the coach is smart so he must have a good reason. Even if Murray is a better pass protector, Henry should get more early down work. He doesn't even get the majority of the goal line touches. It's just bad coaching, plain and simple

Nor should you.  I’m simply explaining why Murray is receiving more PT.  In light of that, it shouldn’t seem odd that he receives more GL carries.  If you’d like to provide any info suggesting the Titans are using Henry improperly, I’d be happy to hear it.

17 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Nor should you.  I’m simply explaining why Murray is receiving more PT.  In light of that, it shouldn’t seem odd that he receives more GL carries.  If you’d like to provide any info suggesting the Titans are using Henry improperly, I’d be happy to hear it.

In Titans wins this year: Murray 12.37 carries Henry 12.75 carries

In Titans losses this year: Murray 11.67 carries Henry 6.33 carries

Derrick Henry Y/A by half: 3.4 Y/A in the first half and 5.8 Y/A in the second half. He averages a massive 7.1 Y/A in the 4th quarter. Backing up my assertion that he is a back who gets stronger as the game goes on while the defense gets weaker. He should be getting close to 25 touches a game and wearing the defense down. Many big backs get stronger as the game goes on. I remember reading about Blount's splits his last year in New England and he was much better in the 4th than any other quarter. They are completely wasting the best asset Henry brings to the team. Play to the strengths of your big, bruising running back who will wear the defense out.

Edited by theking759

3 minutes ago, theking759 said:

In Titans wins this year: Murray 12.37 carries Henry 12.75 carries

In Titans losses this year: Murray 11.67 carries Henry 6.33 carries

Derrick Henry Y/A by half: 3.4 Y/A in the first half and 5.8 Y/A in the second half. He averages a massive 7.1 Y/A in the 4th quarter. Backing up my assertion that he is a back who gets stronger as the game goes on while the defense gets weaker. He should be getting close to 25 touches a game and wearing the defense down. Many big backs get stronger as the game goes on. I remember reading about Blount's splits his last year in New England and he was much better in the 4th than any quarter. They are completely wasting the best asset Henry brings to your time. Play to the strengths of your big, bruising running back who will wear the defense out.

As addressed numerous times upthread, Henry is a beast in the fourth quarter.  Which probably explains why Mularkey uses him as a closer.  I’d be more interested to hear why you believe he should be relied upon throughout the game - has he improved as a blocker?

Just now, theking759 said:

You're just trolling. That's obvious with your coaching won them 8 games derp. I provided you with numbers, you provide nothing. Henry would be a better closer if he got 20+ carries to wear the defense down.

No, I’m not.  I’m asking a simple question.  I have provided far more in terms of both opinion and information to this thread than you, your majesty.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

No, I’m not.  I’m asking a simple question.  I have provided far more in terms of both opinion and information to this thread than you, your majesty.

My post going over some basic numbers provided more than anything you have. You keep talking about pass protection. Show me something that backs up what you say. Does Mariota get sacked more when Henry is in the game? Do they have a worse Y/A attempt on passes with Henry? You provide nothing. Just some worthless drivel about how the coaching must be good because they've won 8 games lol

1 minute ago, theking759 said:

My post going over some basic numbers provided more than anything you have. You keep talking about pass protection. Show me something that backs up what you say. Does Mariota get sacked more when Henry is in the game? Do they have a worse Y/A attempt on passes with Henry? You provide nothing. Just some worthless drivel about how the coaching must be good because they've won 8 games lol

I strongly disagree - you have provided virtually nothing of substance to this thread.  It is up to you to provide something useful at this point.  Does Mariota get sacked more frequently when Henry is in?  Of course not - he’s barely in when they aren’t running.  It’s sorta my point.

2 minutes ago, theking759 said:

So you provide no evidence to support that Henry negatively affects their passing. Better luck next time troll

Thanks, theking759!  Any luck in actually, you know, answering my question regarding why Henry should be trusted as a blocker?

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Thanks, theking759!  Any luck in actually, you know, answering my question regarding why Henry should be trusted as a blocker?

You haven't shown anything that says he shouldn't. I'm not going to refute a claim that you haven't proven.

3 minutes ago, theking759 said:

You haven't shown anything that says he shouldn't. I'm not going to refute a claim that you haven't proven.

Except for the facts that he wasn’t good at it in college and hasn’t shown enough at it to warrant his coaches’ trust thus far in the pros.  Do you have anything to contribute?

Edited by BMcP

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Except for the facts that he wasn’t good at it in college and hasn’t shown enough at it to warrant his coaches’ trust thus far in the pros.  Do you have anything to contribute?

Show some stats. If he is a liability then you should have proof. Stats, a link breaking down his protection problems, anything at all really

Show some stats. If he is a liability then you should have proof. Stats, a link breaking down his protection problems, anything at all really

Man, you do realize it’s almost universally accepted that Murray outperforms Henry in pass pro?  You want proof?  Just read some articles by beat reporters or something.  What I need to hear from you is why you believe he “isn’t” a liability?  The onus is on you, my friend.

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Man, you do realize it’s almost universally accepted that Murray outperforms Henry in pass pro?  You want proof?  Just read some articles by beat reporters or something.  What I need to hear from you is why you believe he “isn’t” a liability?  The onus is on you, my friend.

No I need real evidence. If it is worse, how much worse is it? What is the actual negative impact? You didn't even provide any beat writer articles lol. I don't operate under the assumption something is just accepted. Show me the evidence backing up what you're saying and I'll go over it. Why would I need to provide evidence you're making a claim and are offering zero.

Edited by theking759

10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I appreciate you providing those links. However, they provided absolutely no evidence that Henry is bad at pass protection like I suspected. They provide no stats or numbers or anyway to quantify the pass blocking difference from the two backs. I like the last article the best. It says the Titans' coaches value Murray as a passblocker more lol. I wouldn't put much value into the Titans coaches. I loved reading all the quotes from Mularkey and Robiskie about how Henry really isn't the better runner, he just gets better blocks. Then the article destorys that showing how Henry is 2nd among all backs in yards after contact and Murray was something like 44th lol. Those coaches are complete morons, I don't trust their evaluations or what they value at all.

Edited by theking759

I appreciate you providing those links. However, they provided absolutely no evidence that Henry is bad at pass protection like I suspected. They provide no stats or numbers or anyway to quantify the pass blocking difference from the two backs. I like the last article the best. It says the Titans' coaches value Murray as a passblocker more lol. I wouldn't put much value into the Titans coaches. I loved reading all the quotes from Mularkey and Robiskie about how Henry really isn't the better runner, he just gets better blocks. Then the article destorys that showing how Henry is 2nd among all backs in yards after contact and Murray was something like 44th lol. Those coaches are complete morons, I don't trust their evaluations or what they value at all.

Whatever you believe is honestly irrelevant.  My point is, the coaches believe Murray is a superior blocker.  And have reason to do so.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Whatever you believe is honestly irrelevant.  My point is, the coaches believe Murray is a superior blocker.  And have reason to do so.

They may believe it but you've shown nothing that they have reason to. They also don't believe Henry is the better runner, contrary to all the evidence.

Edited by theking759

1 minute ago, theking759 said:

They may believe it but you've shown nothing that they have reason too. They also don't believe Henry is the better runner, contrary to all the evidence.

I am fairly sure they realize he’s the better

pure rusher - assuming they aren’t mentally impaired.  What I have attempted to show you is the staff don’t collectively believe in Henry as a pass-blocker.  Would you please provide a source for your argument instead of continuing to attack me for no reason?!

11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I am fairly sure they realize he’s the better

pure rusher - assuming they aren’t mentally impaired.  What I have attempted to show you is the staff don’t collectively believe in Henry as a pass-blocker.  Would you please provide a source for your argument instead of continuing to attack me for no reason?!

All their quotes don't acknowledge that. They say Henry just gets better blocking. I remember Terry Robiskie from his time with the Browns. He was garbage as an OC. I don't think their coaches have any idea what they're doing. My point is the Titans coaching is terrible.

Just now, theking759 said:

All their quotes don't acknowledge that. They say Henry just gets better blocking. I remember Terry Robiskie from his time with the Browns. He was garbage as an OC. I don't think their coaches have any idea what they're doing. My point is the Titans coaching is terrible.

Dude, if you would like to avoid the obvious, so be it.   Whatever you think of the coaches, they don’t want Henry out there protecting Mariota.  It’s just how things are right now - and explains why Henry is an afterthought. 

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Dude, if you would like to avoid the obvious, so be it.   Whatever you think of the coaches, they don’t want Henry out there protecting Mariota.  It’s just how things are right now - and explains why Henry is an afterthought. 

I think they are biased towards Murray. Pass protection is only part of the reason, they also don't believe Henry is a better rusher based on everything they said. I don't trust their coaches to evaluate anything

I think they are biased towards Murray. Pass protection is only part of the reason, they also don't believe Henry is a better rusher based on everything they said. I don't trust their coaches to evaluate anything

That and pass-catching out of the backfield.  I don’t pretend to understand them, either.  But for fantasy purposes, he is a loss so far.   Can we at least agree on that?