DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook

Demarco has shown he is the lead dog of this backfield, Henry is still in the tadpole stage, but until further notice, Murray will have the keys to the Porsche 

7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Henry is the leading rusher for the Tennessee Titans, well deserved and wont be his last. He will be the starter this weekend.

Looks like your gonna get your wish this weekend.  No more excuses if he doesn't produce.  I'm expecting 148 yds(one for every page of this thread) and at least one td or else its a failure.  You should be fine with that since you carried this thread to 148.  :D

15 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Demarco has shown he is the lead dog of this backfield, Henry is still in the tadpole stage, but until further notice, Murray will have the keys to the Porsche 

Porsche? Try 1980 Volkswagen. 

Titans playing for their playoff lives. Since Mularkey is allergic to the potseason i imagine the Titans will sign deangelo williams for his pass blocking skills, play him, try to throw on the best secondary in football and lose by 2 TDs at home.

The Titans may enter their Week 17 game without the services of starting running back DeMarco Murray. Not having Murray isn’t a good thing for the Titans, but the forced use of Derrick Henry may result in a benefit for the struggling Tennessee offense.

There are a bevy of problems with the Titans offense this season, but a lot of them stem from the team’s inability to effectively run the ball. What was the NFL’s third-best rushing attack a season ago has fallen to 16th, and their yards-per-carry have dropped from 4.6 to 4.3. They had four games with under 100 rushing yards last season. That number has skyrocketed to 10 this year.

large part of that has been due to the continued reliance on Murray, and the coaching staff’s refusal to put Henry in a more prominent role. The second-year back’s role has definitely increased from his rookie campaign. He has 148 rushes this year after having only 110 in his first season. The problem lies in the distribution of carries between him and Murray. Murray’s knee injury could force the issue in feeding Henry though.

Murray is averaging a career-low 3.6 yards-per-carry this season. He’s eclipsed the 100-yard mark only once, and he only went over 60-yards once.

Henry, on the other hand, continues to be effective as he piles up carries. He’s averaging 4.7 yards-per-carry overall this season, and that’s despite posting just 1.0 yards-per-attempt in the first quarter. His yards-per-carry go to 5.4 in the second, they dip to 3.1 in the third, and spike to 7.1 in the fourth. Henry thrives when the workload increases. A back of his size and speed gets more difficult to tackle as the game goes on, and the Titans need to take advantage of that.

Tennessee is 10-0 when Henry gets 11-plus carries in his career, including 7-0 this season. With the exception of the Cleveland game where Henry went for 13 yards on 13 carries, he’s been extremely effective when he gets a starter’s portion of the attempts.

In games where he gets double-digit carries this season, Henry is averaging 5.6 yards-per-carry on 94 totes with three touchdowns in those seven games. For the people who are going to point to the two 70-plus-yard touchdown runs as inflating his numbers, he’s still going for 4.2 per carry if those are eliminated from his totals.

In the eight games where he hasn’t gotten to double-digit attempts, he’s gone for 3.0 yards-per-carry on 54 rushes with two scores. The Titans have one win in those eight contests.

Obviously there are a variety of factors that go into wins and losses. Handing Henry the ball isn’t just going to win them the game. On the other hand, his productivity in games where he gets double-digit looks is overwhelming evidence that he needs more consistent work.

The Titans should play Murray as much as they can Sunday, but they should also use this opportunity to get their second-year back more involved. He dominated in Week 2 against the Jaguars when Murray was banged up. They should let him try and do it again in Sunday’s must-win game.

I hope Henry gets his shot. I'd like to see what happens. Will be interesting to see if Henry continues to struggle with his YPC in the 1st and 2nd quarters. And whether Henry can pick up a blitz or pass protect.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

"Titans playing for their playoff lives. Since Mularkey is allergic to the postseason I imagine the Titans will sign Deangelo Williams for his pass blocking skills, play him, try to throw on the best secondary in football and lose by 2 TDs at home."

I remember, you & I saw this player the same. I suppose we were wrong, but where we miscalculated was not seeing some god-awful amount of loyalty to Murray. For which, no one knows why, exactly. e; I've carried Henry the whole year & with Gurley sitting, I could really use him now. Like you say, they're playing to keep their season alive while Jacksonville has nothing to gain & would be better served resting players & coming out of this game in one piece. Seems like the right play but half the time, these are just the ones to avoid.. e;

4 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

I remember, you & I saw this player the same. I suppose we were wrong, but where we miscalculated was not seeing some god-awful amount of loyalty to Murray. For which, no one knows why, exactly. e; I've carried Henry the whole year & with Gurley sitting, I could really use him now. Like you say, they're playing to keep their season alive while Jacksonville has nothing to gain & would be better served resting players & coming out of this game in one piece. Seems like the right play but half the time, these are just the ones to avoid.. e;

Well, critics of Henry are blaming pass protection. I just dont believe that. Play henry and run it 35 times a game. 

I think Henry can pass block enough not to get Mariota killed and yoy never get better if you dont get reps.

This weekend should be a coming out party but i have been Mularkey'd before.

Wow, a 24.4 juke rate.... now you're talking! I did not know that. The lock & load of week 17, Derrick Henry! 

Call out to Derrick Henry: Young man, do not screw this up! Go out there and play like you know how! ... Don't make me come down there, don't make me make calls to friends I don't even know... buhgeddabowdit! Oh, oh I'll come down there alright! Fact is, it's already set, I have your coach's word! You screw up my life, you screw up his, it's on pal! You think I'll be coming down there to make nice, get your $h!+ autograph? It'll be you & me, one on one. I'm going to kick your @$$ & take your job! e; It'll be me wearing #22 next year & it won't have the name "Henry" written along the top, but rather, I Spank Him! e; 

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

"Well, critics of Henry are blaming pass protection. I just dont believe that."

Oh, so I stand corrected for the nine billionth time... is that some sort of a problem? :lol: Receiving, stat-wise it appears there isn't much difference between the two, other than opportunity. I did a search, my key was "Marcus Mariota sacked" w/o the quotes. Much of this stuff is dated.   

Just Henry: he's not asked to protect, he releases, he's open but Mariota doesn't seem to get through his progression, but there's little time.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000829040/Marcus-Mariota-steps-up-into-sack-by-Leonard-Williams

http://www.titansonline.com/video/videos/Marcus-Mariota-Injured-on-Sack-Carted-off-Field/51c18174-dea4-430f-8e11-eeb92df3ad2b

A play with both Henry & Murray in the backfield. Weird play & both sell a fake run on the front side.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Marcus-Mariota-sacked-by-Emmanuel-Ogbah-for-4-yard-loss/d9b8229d-db90-41ce-afde-99fab7de0a95

Just Murray: same thing really, it's hard to find pressures or sacks where either of them were asked to block. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Highlights-Marcus-Mariota-sacked-by-Erik-Walden/5dfac7ac-11d7-4e1a-ad91-538dec289c2c

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/DeForest-Buckner-Sacks-Marcus-Mariota-on-Titans-First-Play/04c1e0f9-69e6-4f0e-8d15-7b9ea1462701 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0qwhee0B_E  (pressured... murray releases right flat)  

Here's the only one found, but Murray isn't the only one to not get a block... 

http://www.nflcdn.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000704354/Devin-Taylor-sacks-Marcus-Mariota-for-a-huge-loss

Do we need evidence to reject the contention that Henry can't block? Well, I'll speak for myself, NO I DON'T! e; This is a run first offense and from what I've seen & read, Henry's been more effective. Consider that if the tendency is to run when Henry is on the field, defenses certainly know that & his better ypc all the more impressive. Coming out he was the product of a pro-style offense, his ball skills & pass protection were hardly weaknesses. LET THE MAN PLAY!   

On 12/27/2017 at 5:19 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Gonna have a big day this weekend. Might save mularkeys job.

Please God no, Mularkey is the only reason he isn't a top 7 back. 

3 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Please God no, Mularkey is the only reason he isn't a top 7 back. 

That and he looks more like Blount than an elite back.

12 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

That and he looks more like Blount than an elite back.

If it's the Blount that scored 18 touchdowns or jumps over people, that's not a bad thing.

Henry posted an elusive rating of 57.9 in 2016, which ranked seventh among running backs that received a minimum of 83 carries.

He also excelled in pass protection, allowing one total pressure in 32 pass blocking snaps. His pass-blocking efficiency of 98 was the third-highest rating for his position (min. 28 pass block snaps).

Where it’s very close to being even and doesn’t give Murray that edge is in pass blocking. Murray ( according to ProFootballFocus ) Has a pass blocking efficiency of 95.5 while Henry has a 94.4. But I would argue Henry is the better pass blocker, because Murray has been in on 73 pass blocking snaps, has allowed 1 sack, 1 hit, 2 hurries, for a total of 4 total pressures, Henry has been on 31 pass blocking snaps, has allowed 1 sack, 0 hits, 1 hurries, for a total of 2 total pressures. So who would you rather be the starter?

23 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Where it’s very close to being even and doesn’t give Murray that edge is in pass blocking. Murray ( according to ProFootballFocus ) Has a pass blocking efficiency of 95.5 while Henry has a 94.4. But I would argue Henry is the better pass blocker, because Murray has been in on 73 pass blocking snaps, has allowed 1 sack, 1 hit, 2 hurries, for a total of 4 total pressures, Henry has been on 31 pass blocking snaps, has allowed 1 sack, 0 hits, 1 hurries, for a total of 2 total pressures. So who would you rather be the starter?

I think I'm finally convinced that you are, in fact, Derrick Henry. Do you give out autos over forums?