DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Flyers_28 said:

he also had some plays where he tried to do too much and would lose like 8 yards 

 

One play against Pittsburgh Henry got hit 5 yards deep as he was taking the handoff, stiff armed the defender, got the edge and gained positive yards. Sure, Henry has his problems but negative yardage plays need context. Many times Henry got hit for a loss the defense was expecting run. Thats the difficulty of bringing in Henry as a cop back, you do that and teams know you are gonna run cause your not using Henry in the passing game.

 

Glad Mularkey is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, youngrice said:

So the 40 test explosiveness in 10 yd intervals?? I missed where they charted the first 10yds of a 40.  The 40 is and has always been a barometer of a players straight line speed.  

 

Okie dokie.

 

I just made up the 10 yard split thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

One play against Pittsburgh Henry got hit 5 yards deep as he was taking the handoff, stiff armed the defender, got the edge and gained positive yards. Sure, Henry has his problems but negative yardage plays need context. Many times Henry got hit for a loss the defense was expecting run. Thats the difficulty of bringing in Henry as a cop back, you do that and teams know you are gonna run cause your not using Henry in the passing game.

 

Glad Mularkey is gone.

lets compare it to like blount then 

you know when he is in he is not catching passes 

@FFCollusion i dont know where you got those stats from but can you look up blount or even stewart and let us know there stats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

i dont know where you got those stats from but can you look up blount or even stewart and let us know there stats 

 

Blount had 23 of his 173 carries (13.3%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 55 negative yards.

Stewart had 22 of his 197 carries (11.2%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 51 negative yards.

 

For reference, so you don't have to go back and re-check the original stats:

Henry had 26 of his 176 carries (14.7%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 77 negative yards.

Murray had 17 of his 185 carries (9.2%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 41 negative yards.

Bell had 27 of his 317 carries (8.5%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 64 negative yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

 

Blount had 23 of his 173 carries (13.3%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 55 negative yards.

Stewart had 22 of his 197 carries (11.2%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 51 negative yards.

 

For reference, so you don't have to go back and re-check the original stats:

Henry had 26 of his 176 carries (14.7%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 77 negative yards.

Murray had 17 of his 185 carries (9.2%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 41 negative yards.

Bell had 27 of his 317 carries (8.5%) go for negative yardage, for a total of 64 negative yards.

 

Situational RBs go for less negative yards than starting RBs.

 

Glad Mularkey is finally gone so Henry wont be a situational back anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Height is bad for running backs as is weight to an extent. Easier to tackle and spot and harder to move through holes.

 

But dudes got girly hands...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Situational RBs go for less negative yards than starting RBs.

 

Glad Mularkey is finally gone so Henry wont be a situational back anymore.

 

So, let me understand this:  Henry is a situational RB.  And situational RBs get less negative yardage.

 

But you don’t want him to be in a position to get less negative yardage?

 

And the stats kindly provided above all directly show that it was the situational RBs getting more negative yardage than every-down starters like Bell and Henry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Height is bad for some running backs as is weight to an extent. Easier to tackle and spot and harder to move through holes.

 

FIFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Never seen that before so I will say I'm wrong.  But that put him at 48th percentile.  I'm not very good at math but 48th percentile would mean he lacked quickness.  Not other way around.  Or the 3 cone drill at 27% or the 20 yard shuttle at 29%

Edited by youngrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BMcP said:

 

So, let me understand this:  Henry is a situational RB.  And situational RBs get less negative yardage.

 

But you don’t want him to be in a position to get less negative yardage?

 

And the stats kindly provided above all directly show that it was the situational RBs getting more negative yardage than every-down starters like Bell and Henry?

 

Mularkey used Henry as a situational back and became predictable.

 

Henry is not a situational back, thats why mularkey was misusing him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Never seen that before so I will say I'm wrong.  But that put him at 48th percentile.  I'm not very good at math but 48th percentile would mean he lacked quickness.  Not other way around.  Or the 3 cone drill at 27% or the 20 yard shuttle at 29%

 

How quick does he need to be?

 

He is a 250lbs back, everyone knows he wont be the quickest back and he doesnt have to be in order to be succesful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Mularkey used Henry as a situational back and became predictable.

 

Henry is not a situational back, thats why mularkey was misusing him.

 

I mean, Henry ended up with a 41% snap share (compared to 67% for Murray) - that’s a heck of a lot of situations.

 

I suppose one thing that I still don’t get is why we’re acting as if we know how Henry is going to be used next season.  Is there any reason currently to expect him to not just find himself back in a committee?  At least with Mularkey, it looked like the coaching staff was comfortable using him as a true bell-cow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

How quick does he need to be?

 

He is a 250lbs back, everyone knows he wont be the quickest back and he doesnt have to be in order to be succesful.

No he does not. Blount is a successful NFL back for example. However, your argument is Henry is a top 5 back as a starter if not #1 or whatever the hell. My point is, he's not and he's nowhere near top 10 in overall talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen a poster so dedicated to a single player. Cleats is going down with the ship if need be. Want this guy in my foxhole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

 

I mean, Henry ended up with a 41% snap share (compared to 67% for Murray) - that’s a heck of a lot of situations.

 

I suppose one thing that I still don’t get is why we’re acting as if we know how Henry is going to be used next season.  Is there any reason currently to expect him to not just find himself back in a committee?  At least with Mularkey, it looked like the coaching staff was comfortable using him as a true bell-cow.

 

 

I suppose that is possible. Mularkey would feed his #1 RB but i do think the offense lacked creativity and was painfully predictable, the blocking schemes lacked ingenuity to match the players skill sets, in game adjustments to what the defense was doing was non existent.

 

I am intrigued who the coach will be and i feel like any candidate will have to prove in an interview their vision for Mariota and the offense movinf forward.

 

Im on record saying a guy like Sony Michel would be a great compliment to what Henry can do already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

No he does not. Blount is a successful NFL back for example. However, your argument is Henry is a top 5 back as a starter if not #1 or whatever the hell. My point is, he's not and he's nowhere near top 10 in overall talent. 

 

Well, Henry has show to have a more diverse skill set than Blount already so though they may have similar body types i dont buy the narrative that they are the same player.

 

Henry has caught the ball well, his pass blocking has been good too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Well, Henry has show to have a more diverse skill set than Blount already so though they may have similar body types i dont buy the narrative that they are the same player.

 

Henry has caught the ball well, his pass blocking has been good too.

 

 

What did he average? Less than ONE catch a game, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Well, Henry has show to have a more diverse skill set than Blount already so though they may have similar body types i dont buy the narrative that they are the same player.

 

Henry has caught the ball well, his pass blocking has been good too.

 

 

They don't have similar body types. They both have dreads you mean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

How quick does he need to be?

 

He is a 250lbs back, everyone knows he wont be the quickest back and he doesnt have to be in order to be succesful.

Wait you can't have it either way.  The whole time I have been saying Henry is talented and will be a good starting RB in the league. But he lacks the elusiveness and quickness needed to be a elite RB.  As I have said so many times I really like Henry and see him having a few good years(maybe great).  But his size will limit him overall.  Guess you agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cnewbykkn said:

 

What did he average? Less than ONE catch a game, right?

 

On limited touches...probably.

 

Did it well when his number was called

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, youngrice said:

Wait you can't have it either way.  The whole time I have been saying Henry is talented and will be a good starting RB in the league. But he lacks the elusiveness and quickness needed to be a elite RB.  As I have said so many times I really like Henry and see him having a few good years(maybe great).  But his size will limit him overall.  Guess you agree.

 

Whatever helps you sleep better at night.

 

I never said Henry could not use a complimentary back. I said this seasin demarco should have benn the cop back for Henry. Maybe you missed that part as you read all the previos pages.

 

He would be a top 5 fantasy back if given the load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.