DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Gohawks said:

This is what you will get if Murray is gone. A few big games and also a lot of these.

I've said it before but when at full speed Henry is lethal. He really does have a chance to take it to the house because a back of his size at 20+ MPH is damn hard to tackle.

The problem is NFL is almost never played at full speed. When it comes to balance, acceleration, and quickness Henry is not only below average he is bad. This is why you see games like 13/13 28/51. He goes down ridiculously easy when not up to speed. Again, the problem for him is the game is almost never at high speed. 

I don't think he is a bad back and I do believe he can be an RB1. M. Gordon isn't insanely talented and he produces every year. Titans want to run the ball so the opportunity will be there. Just watching him play has never impressed me. DJ had some insane runs when he blew up, we see Zeke jumping people, Lynch, of course, was a highlight machine, AP would maul people over, Bell shows incredible quickness and patience, and etc. Henry has a solid stiff arm once in a while and all his big plays are fairly easy runs.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this. I feel like it's an extremely accurate assessment. From watching Henry I always felt like he toppled over extremely easily in traffic (again, before he got up to speed), and I just never really saw much quickness (which for a guy his size is somewhat to be expected I guess). That really limits his ceiling IMO, particularly when you include the fact that he's never gonna be a guy who catches a lot of passes.

Edited by BGDDYKWL

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this. I feel like it's an extremely accurate assessment. From watching Henry I always felt like he toppled over extremely easily in traffic (again, before he got up to speed), and I just never really saw much quickness (which for a guy his size is somewhat to be expected I guess). That really limits his ceiling IMO, particularly when you include the fact that he's never gonna be a guy who catches a lot of passes.

The thing is people say he is 6 3 and 240 like it is a positive. It's not. At least not if you want to be an elite all-around back. It's good for a certain niche but that's it.

The ideal height for a running back is under 6 feet and most of the greats are around 5 10 and 5 11. You see guys like Bell pushing 6 1 but of course he slimmed down and can cut like no other which is what makes him great. Simply put, Henry's height is a huge negative because he doesn't have as good of a center of gravity and is easier to spot. It's not a coincidence him and L. Murray are both 6 3 and lack lateral movement and go down quite easily. 

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I think you are starting to get it. 19 carries he had 131yds and a TD. He is the reason for the blowout.

Perhaps - he’s not the reason they won, though.  I mean, they were handily winning the game at the time.  It’s why he was put in - he was used as their “closer.”

18 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

The thing is people say he is 6 3 and 240 like it is a positive. It's not. At least not if you want to be an elite all-around back. It's good for a certain niche but that's it.

The ideal height for a running back is under 6 feet and most of the greats are around 5 10 and 5 11. You see guys like Bell pushing 6 1 but of course he slimmed down and can cut like no other which is what makes him great. Simply put, Henry's height is a huge negative because he doesn't have as good of a center of gravity and is easier to spot. It's not a coincidence him and L. Murray are both 6 3 and lack lateral movement and go down quite easily. 

He reminds me constantly of a more muscular and powerful L.  Murray.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:44 PM, BMcP said:

He reminds me constantly of a more muscular and powerful L.  Murray.

I do agree 6 3 is taller than any successful RB I know...

I still think Henry can be successful.  He never cracked my top24 for 2018.  Currently I’d give him a look in round 4.

I’m extremely happy that they canned his old coach, so he should have an opportunity to start next year.  The Titans will probably draft another RB... we’ll have to see how it shakes out.

If I wait on a QB (which I generally do) I’ll be a buyer of Mariota.  He’ll be to cheap to ignore.

Edited by seanismorris