DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook

18 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

He also has fewer carries to bring up his YPC.

Henry is the kind of RB that wears down defenders. He isn't a RB like Antone Smith that will score 5 TDs on 30 touches a few years back. Henry needs to be fed the ball. Just like against the Jaguars (when they knew Titans were running the ball) they couldn't handle Henry as he kept battering them play after play after play. Henry is a physical RB that has to be given touches to be successful. He isn't a COP back. Never has been. Never will be. He needs 15 +/- carries a game to do anything against a defense. This BS of giving him 4-6 carries is part of the reason why the Titans have lost.

Week 1: Henry 6 carries = Titans L

Week 2: Henry 14 carries = Titans W

Week 3: Henry 13 carries = Titans W

Week 4: Henry 6 carries = Titans L

Week 5: Henry 4 carries = Titans L

Mularky is a tool and a fool. Henry is not the kind of RB that will have any kind of success with 4-6 carries as a COP RB. Any HC who thinks that is an idiot supreme. At this point in his careers, Murray is much better suited for that. Use Henry to sledgehammer the defense and bring in Murray to exploit a tired defense. It really is that simple.

I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate.  A bruising RB can be used at various points during a game to exploit weaknesses in a defense.  If it's a long drive, you can bring the (fresh) bruiser in for a few carries in the red-zone after the defense is already gassed.  A bruiser can also be used to exploit matchups against weak interior lines.

You don't necessarily need the bruiser himself to wear a defense down in order to utilize the attributes of a bruiser.  It's one way of doing it, but not the only way.

DeMarco Murray isn't some tiny RB either - he's 6'1" / 220 lbs, which on most teams in the NFL can easily be a short-yardage runner when their other RBs are much lighter in weight-class.

And if we want to talk about needing a large share of carries, Murray hasn't even reached 15 carries in ANY game this year, yet he's done okay in YPC:

REGULAR SEASON GAMES RUSHING RECEIVING FUMBLES
WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
1 09/10 videoicon.gif OAK L   16-26 1 1 12 44 3.7 21 0 2 16 8.0 12 0 -- --

2 09/17 videoicon.gif @ JAX W   37-16 1 1 9 25 2.8 7 0 1 3 3.0 3 0 -- --

3 09/24 videoicon.gif SEA W   33-27 1 1 14 115 8.2 75T 1 1 5 5.0 5 0 -- --

4 10/01 videoicon.gif @ HOU L   14-57 1 1 7 31 4.4 9 0 2 4 2.0 4 0 -- --

5 10/08 @ MIA L   10-16 1 1 14 58 4.1 13 0 4 11 2.8 7 0 1 1

TOTAL 5 5 56 273 4.9 75 1 10 39 3.9 12 0 1 1

Total YPC?  4.9 YPC for Murray so far this season.  Granted, that's inflated by a chunk 75-yard TD run, but runs like that are why Murray and guys like Fournette (see his final carry from yesterday) are continually handed the rock even when their YPC starts out a little slow.

As for your Wins/Losses argument attached, you'll notice in Week 4 gameflow dictated that the running game got abandoned:

1 09/10 videoicon.gif OAK L   16-26 1 0 6 25 4.2 8 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2 09/17 videoicon.gif @ JAX W   37-16 1 0 14 92 6.6 17T 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

3 09/24 videoicon.gif SEA W   33-27 1 0 13 54 4.2 25 0 1 10 10.0 10 0 -- --

4 10/01 videoicon.gif @ HOU L   14-57 1 0 6 7 1.2 3 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

5 10/08 @ MIA L   10-16 1 0 4 9 2.3 11 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

TOTAL 5 0 43 187 4.3 25 1 1 10 10.0 10 0 0 0

While Henry only had 6 carries in Week 4 (for just 7 rushing yards / 1.2 YPC), Murray only had 7 carries himself that week (for a much more solid 4.4 YPC).

Murray had 14 carries for 115 rushing yards (8.2 YPC) in Week 3 while Henry 13 carries for 54 rushing yards (4.2 YPC).

This isn't really a situation where either player is bad.

Edited by Robrain

1 hour ago, kaesr said:

Henry's talent isn't the issue. The issue is the fact that the Titans coaching staff considers him a distant second to an underperforming Murray and that makes him  pretty much useless in a redraft league.

Money talks 

Mularkey doesn't use either one of these guys right so they're both having crappy seasons...Murray should be used more in the passing game and Henry more on running downs and it would be like Freeman and Coleman where they both succeed. Mularkey is garbage 

Our best shot now is for the Titans to lose the next few games, preferably in embarassing fashion, so they're basically out of contention and then forced to turn to younger players to see what they have in them. 

44 minutes ago, Robrain said:

I wouldn't say that is entirely accurate.  A bruising RB can be used at various points during a game to exploit weaknesses in a defense.  If it's a long drive, you can bring the (fresh) bruiser in for a few carries in the red-zone after the defense is already gassed.  A bruiser can also be used to exploit matchups against weak interior lines.

You don't necessarily need the bruiser himself to wear a defense down in order to utilize the attributes of a bruiser.  It's one way of doing it, but not the only way.

DeMarco Murray isn't some tiny RB either - he's 6'1" / 220 lbs, which on most teams in the NFL can easily be a short-yardage runner when their other RBs are much lighter in weight-class.

And if we want to talk about needing a large share of carries, Murray hasn't even reached 15 carries in ANY game this year, yet he's done okay in YPC:

1 09/10 videoicon.gif OAK L   16-26 1 1 12 44 3.7 21 0 2 16 8.0 12 0 -- --

2 09/17 videoicon.gif @ JAX W   37-16 1 1 9 25 2.8 7 0 1 3 3.0 3 0 -- --

3 09/24 videoicon.gif SEA W   33-27 1 1 14 115 8.2 75T 1 1 5 5.0 5 0 -- --

4 10/01 videoicon.gif @ HOU L   14-57 1 1 7 31 4.4 9 0 2 4 2.0 4 0 -- --

5 10/08 @ MIA L   10-16 1 1 14 58 4.1 13 0 4 11 2.8 7 0 1 1

TOTAL 5 5 56 273 4.9 75 1 10 39 3.9 12 0 1 1

Total YPC?  4.9 YPC for Murray so far this season.  Granted, that's inflated by a chunk 75-yard TD run, but runs like that are why Murray and guys like Fournette (see his final carry from yesterday) are continually handed the rock even when their YPC starts out a little slow.

As for your Wins/Losses argument attached, you'll notice in Week 4 gameflow dictated that the running game got abandoned:

1 09/10 videoicon.gif OAK L   16-26 1 0 6 25 4.2 8 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2 09/17 videoicon.gif @ JAX W   37-16 1 0 14 92 6.6 17T 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

3 09/24 videoicon.gif SEA W   33-27 1 0 13 54 4.2 25 0 1 10 10.0 10 0 -- --

4 10/01 videoicon.gif @ HOU L   14-57 1 0 6 7 1.2 3 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

5 10/08 @ MIA L   10-16 1 0 4 9 2.3 11 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

TOTAL 5 0 43 187 4.3 25 1 1 10 10.0 10 0 0 0

While Henry only had 6 carries in Week 4 (for just 7 rushing yards / 1.2 YPC), Murray only had 7 carries himself that week (for a much more solid 4.4 YPC).

Murray had 14 carries for 115 rushing yards (8.2 YPC) in Week 3 while Henry 13 carries for 54 rushing yards (4.2 YPC).

This isn't really a situation where either player is bad.

Henry is better than Fournette at everything related to the RB position.

Shame the titan coaches dont know that.

46 minutes ago, Mattmac0912 said:

Mularkey is also punching his ticket out of Tennessee the guy is an awful coach. Always has been

He is a career .377 record. He is a terrible HC and any team owner wanting his team to succeed should never pick this guy as a HC. But I guess some owners just don't care that much about winning when they still rake in money. 

2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Except for running the ball and scoring fantasy points, yeah

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

If Henry had that much volume I'd think he'd be more productive. Wasn't that Fournettes first and only game over 4 yards per carry avg? 

Just now, Wyzzil said:

If Henry had that much volume I'd think he'd be more productive. Wasn't that Fournettes first and only game over 4 yards per carry avg? 

That happens when Bortles is your QB.

1 hour ago, burninglegs said:

He also has fewer carries to bring up his YPC.

Henry is the kind of RB that wears down defenders. He isn't a RB like Antone Smith that will score 5 TDs on 30 touches a few years back. Henry needs to be fed the ball. Just like against the Jaguars (when they knew Titans were running the ball) they couldn't handle Henry as he kept battering them play after play after play. Henry is a physical RB that has to be given touches to be successful. He isn't a COP back. Never has been. Never will be. He needs 15 +/- carries a game to do anything against a defense. This BS of giving him 4-6 carries is part of the reason why the Titans have lost.

Week 1: Henry 6 carries = Titans L

Week 2: Henry 14 carries = Titans W

Week 3: Henry 13 carries = Titans W

Week 4: Henry 6 carries = Titans L

Week 5: Henry 4 carries = Titans L

Mularky is a tool and a fool. Henry is not the kind of RB that will have any kind of success with 4-6 carries as a COP RB. Any HC who thinks that is an idiot supreme. At this point in his careers, Murray is much better suited for that. Use Henry to sledgehammer the defense and bring in Murray to exploit a tired defense. It really is that simple.

Thank You. Anyone who watches these games would know. He needs to be fed and they wont do it. Its really sad.

Problem is Murray has been just barely serviceable enough to keep the job and Henry other than the game he dominated the second half hasn't done much with his limited carries

I want Henry to take over the job just as much as anyone else here, but was that week 3 win a direct result of Henry's 13 carries for 54 yards?  DeMarco didn't do so hot either aside from the 75 yard TD run, but wouldn't you say he had more impact that game (even if off the merit of that TD run alone)?  Take away DeMarco's run and he had 13 carries for 40 yards (3.1 YPC), take away Henry's 25 yard run 12 carries for 29 yards (2.4 YPC).  I didn't watch the game so I know this is oversimplifying things, but the argument that more Henry carries = Titans win is also oversimplification I would think, especially when we only have a five game sample size.

57 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

55 minutes ago, Robrain said:

That happens when Bortles is your QB.

Built in excuse for fournette, nice.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

leonard-fournette-laughjpg-090b47c6b0507

Has there ever been a more unnecessary abundance of posts about a backup running back?

WE KNOW HE'S BETTER THAN MURRAY BUT REPEATING THAT OVER AND OVER IN HERE ISN'T GOING TO GET MALARKY TO CHANGE HIS MIND

Edited by omnom1337

As a guy that's been waiting and waiting for this to happen I'm just giving up at this point. A big reason is I'm holding D Johnson and need to keep Zeke handcuffed thru this next week or so unfortunately so I can't keep holding Henry given we have a short 5 player bench. 

I think he's better at this point than Murray and I think they're actually holding the offense back by not just getting the young guys rollin with Mariota but it is what it is. Even when Murray was banged up and it was supposed to be Henry he didn't do jack. I'm starting to think unless there is a clear Murray is done (i.e. long term injury) I'm staying away from this backfield entirely. Shame– I was so high on the Titans offense this year and they've just looked discombobulated.

20 minutes ago, omnom1337 said:

Has there ever been a more unnecessary abundance of posts about a backup running back?

WE KNOW HE'S BETTER THAN MURRAY BUT REPEATING THAT OVER AND OVER IN HERE ISN'T GOING TO GET MALARKY TO CHANGE HIS MIND

Omnom nom, it might

Did anyone really draft this guy expecting him to be start-able while Murray is healthy? Him and Coleman are no doubt the best handcuffs to have, but pending an injury a 50/50 timeshare os probably the best your gonna get. 

I have seen a lot of ridiculous threads across these forums, filled with a lot of ridiculous posts by people with extreme attachments to players based on their own personal hopes and dreams....But this one is in a class of it's own. Rotoworld Hall of Fame worthy. 

He's a cuff. And a great cuff. But that's what he is when there's someone like Murray in front of him. And Murray will continue to be in front of him. Because that's how the NFL works. Hell that's how all professional sports work. The proven Vet is first in until he shows he can't get it done. Has Murray been great, absolutely not, but neither has Henry.

Titans are a mess offensively and that probably won't improve that much. But if you're depending on Henry for your season then you messed up dearly in your draft. He was never a RB1 or even a RB2, he was an upside cuff with the possibility. That's it.

Anyone that thinks Derrick Henry is better than Fournette smokes just as much weed as I do, except has a much lower tolerance. 

One is Brandon Jacobs....the other one isn't. 

All responses by "Derrick Henry's Cleats" will be ignored due to his bias in this thread.

10 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

I have seen a lot of ridiculous threads across these forums, filled with a lot of ridiculous posts by people with extreme attachments to players based on their own personal hopes and dreams....But this one is in a class of it's own. Rotoworld Hall of Fame worthy. 

He's a cuff. And a great cuff. But that's what he is when there's someone like Murray in front of him. And Murray will continue to be in front of him. Because that's how the NFL works. Hell that's how all professional sports work. The proven Vet is first in until he shows he can't get it done. Has Murray been great, absolutely not, but neither has Henry.

Titans are a mess offensively and that probably won't improve that much. But if you're depending on Henry for your season then you messed up dearly in your draft. He was never a RB1 or even a RB2, he was an upside cuff with the possibility. That's it.

100% agreed. There is a lot of good information that many insightful posters share in this community, then there's the Derrick Henry thread. Week after week it's always at the top of the forums and is littered with post after post from one particular poster exclaiming how this is the greatest running back in the history of pro football. Please let this thread die until there is a Murray injury.

19 minutes ago, degendynamo said:

Anyone that thinks Derrick Henry is better than Fournette smokes just as much weed as I do, except has a much lower tolerance. 

One is Brandon Jacobs....the other one isn't. 

All responses by "Derrick Henry's Cleats" will be ignored due to his bias in this thread.

You should look up their metrics before making statements like these.

Just now, disasterisk said:

You should look up their metrics before making statements like these.

Where can I find Leanord Fournette's metrics? Please point me in the direction....