DerrickHenrysCleats

Derrick Henry 2017 Outlook

On 10/17/2017 at 10:41 AM, GurleyMan said:

being up 7 on 3rd and 5 isn't garbage time.....

Not only that, but in the 4th quarter, up by only a score, who did they turn to to run down the clock?

Henry.

I was surprised actually that they turned to him for that entire last drive, as I was pretty sure they would put the ball in the hands of the vet. After all, you don't want a fumble in that situation.

But no, they turned to Henry. And he delivered. 5 times in a row. And then he scored the TD, which is almost irrelevant, as he had already earned first downs with the game clock ticking and the entire Indy defense knowing the Titans were going to run it. Pretty impressive actually.

I still think that Murray will score more fantasy points than Henry this year, he has better floor potential with his pass catching ability. But Henry IS an exciting prospect for 2018.

It is a long season and Murray is hurting already. I think there is a good chance Murray misses time at some point making Henry an easy set and forgot. 

It’s getting closer and closer to happening, but DeMarco Murray is going to eventually lose his job to Derrick Henry. There were multiple occasions against the Colts where Murray was tackled from behind by a linebacker (who he’d already passed), and on Mariota’s interception, he couldn’t catch up with linebacker John Simon. He may be playing with an injury or he may just be past his prime; both can be true. Over the last 12 weeks of games, here are the totals of each running back:

Player G Att Yds YPC Rush TD FPPG
DeMarco Murray 12 170 670 3.94 3 9.1
Derrick Henry 11 110 556 5.05 6 8.8

As you can see, it’s only a matter of time before Henry supplants Murray. With that being said, the Browns have not allowed a starting running back to score more than 12.7 PPR points against them. A lot of the totals they have allowed come via receiving, which is obviously where Murray shines. Because of that, he’s the preferred option in this game, though it’s hard to say he’s anything more than an RB2 with Henry nipping at his heels. Henry remains someone who is a prized possession in fantasy leagues, even though you can’t start him as anything more than an RB3 right now. In fact, he’s just an RB4 this week. If for whatever reason Murray misses this game due to his hamstring, lock in Henry as an RB1.

Just now, jtbgator said:

It’s getting closer and closer to happening, but DeMarco Murray is going to eventually lose his job to Derrick Henry. There were multiple occasions against the Colts where Murray was tackled from behind by a linebacker (who he’d already passed), and on Mariota’s interception, he couldn’t catch up with linebacker John Simon. He may be playing with an injury or he may just be past his prime; both can be true. Over the last 12 weeks of games, here are the totals of each running back:

As you can see, it’s only a matter of time before Henry supplants Murray. With that being said, the Browns have not allowed a starting running back to score more than 12.7 PPR points against them. A lot of the totals they have allowed come via receiving, which is obviously where Murray shines. Because of that, he’s the preferred option in this game, though it’s hard to say he’s anything more than an RB2 with Henry nipping at his heels. Henry remains someone who is a prized possession in fantasy leagues, even though you can’t start him as anything more than an RB3 right now. In fact, he’s just an RB4 this week. If for whatever reason Murray misses this game due to his hamstring, lock in Henry as an RB1.

Easy solution, Murray gets first play, henry takes it from there. Not a starting RB :ph34r:

Just here for my daily thread bump contribution. Let's get this bad boy to 200 pages by the end of season!

11 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

This analysis is flawed

Henry catches the ball just as good as murray.

12 hours ago, Aussie Digger said:

Not only that, but in the 4th quarter, up by only a score, who did they turn to to run down the clock?

Henry.

I was surprised actually that they turned to him for that entire last drive, as I was pretty sure they would put the ball in the hands of the vet. After all, you don't want a fumble in that situation.

But no, they turned to Henry. And he delivered. 5 times in a row. And then he scored the TD, which is almost irrelevant, as he had already earned first downs with the game clock ticking and the entire Indy defense knowing the Titans were going to run it. Pretty impressive actually.

I still think that Murray will score more fantasy points than Henry this year, he has better floor potential with his pass catching ability. But Henry IS an exciting prospect for 2018.

I'm pretty sure this was because Murray's leg was acting up, but yeah, he ran well to close it out.

13 minutes ago, FSJSteel said:

I'm pretty sure this was because Murray's leg was acting up, but yeah, he ran well to close it out.

I wouldn't assume it was due to Murray's leg. Coaches have said that Henry is the closer.

Few things.

1. The coaching staff is not unleashing Henry because they hate him, don't want to win games, and all this other crap? Did you ever consider that he actually is not all that better than Murray? You look at all these fancy stats the coaches watch them play almost everyday for hours but sure. A few numbers and highlights outweigh that.

2. The low carries argument is a double edged sword. You can claim all day with one edge that he isn't getting enough carries that's why he isn't putting up points. However, a ton of RBs have looked good in a limited role but failed when their carries got increased.

I just find the entire blaming the coaching staff for the failure of a RB ridiculous. We see it all the time where these RBs that you so desperately want to do good be behind another player and the coaching staff is always to blame. Yet when they finally get the chance they never deliver. I wonder why... It's like NFL coaches know better... Go figure.

Henry is a good RB but still has lots of room to improve.  I liked his drive killing runs and pounding the ball in the 4th qtr. Early on he had some tough runs and lost some yards on a few plays where he had no where to go. But as the game went on and the defense starts to get tired is when he really shines.  He's a big beast of a man to take down when hes running at you full speed.

That point leaves me to my biggest disappointment last week...that was when he was one on one with the corner back early in the gameand he couldn't shake him.  The CB made a fantastic tackle in the open field... that is one where Henry needs to make a move and get positive yardage.  Props to the CB for tackling Henry for a loss - not an easy thing to do.

8 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Few things.

1. The coaching staff is not unleashing Henry because they hate him, don't want to win games, and all this other crap? Did you ever consider that he actually is not all that better than Murray? You look at all these fancy stats the coaches watch them play almost everyday for hours but sure. A few numbers and highlights outweigh that.

2. The low carries argument is a double edged sword. You can claim all day with one edge that he isn't getting enough carries that's why he isn't putting up points. However, a ton of RBs have looked good in a limited role but failed when their carries got increased.

I just find the entire blaming the coaching staff for the failure of a RB ridiculous. We see it all the time where these RBs that you so desperately want to do good be behind another player and the coaching staff is always to blame. Yet when they finally get the chance they never deliver. I wonder why... It's like NFL coaches know better... Go figure.

True as well as salaries, future of the team, ownership and many other factors.

And also, usually when a backup becomes a starter, there is another backup that gets touches as well. No backup rb gets thrusted into a starting role and just gets 100% of carries....well most backups dont.

Edited by Zekepeak86

25 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

True as well as salaries, future of the team, ownership and many other factors.

And also, usually when a backup becomes a starter, there is another backup that gets touches as well. No backup rb gets thrusted into a starting role and just gets 100% of carries....well most backups dont.

No Rb in the NFL gets all the carries

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

This analysis is flawed

Henry catches the ball just as good as murray.

But is he better than Alex Collins? :lol:

1 minute ago, yahyahtrick said:

Damn. Slowly becoming reality with some tough decisions to make (Kamara, Henry, White)

3 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Murray will find a way to play.

Guy is hard to kill.

Murray is like that villain in a video game you shoot 1,000 times but still manages to stay alive somehow.

Just now, mitchellcole said:

Ugh, I have DMurray, DHenry, TyMont, and DLewis.  McKinnon is my only "confident" starter for the time being.

Even McKinnon has ankle issues (but will play :) ).  It's a fun time to juggle RB's.  Glad I got a full season of DJ last year and didnt have 1st pick.

2 minutes ago, mitchellcole said:

Ugh, I have DMurray, DHenry, TyMont, and DLewis.  McKinnon is my only "confident" starter for the time being.

I am a desperate D Murray owner and I would be starting D Henry all day long if I could. It's the Browns. My other choice would be D Lewis.

This one hurts...Congrats to y'all with patience...As per my M.O., if I drop a guy, he's nearly guaranteed to become something. Henry looked so fast on that run the other night and (unless he's not on your team) Mularky's comments bode well going forward. In fact I won't be surprised if he ends up having entire games to himself. 

For the record (CSB, I know)

Dropped: Cam right before he stopped sucking. Dropped Henry 2 weeks ago, Alex Collins last week (so he's guaranteed to be on someone else's roster and go off)

However, I've held Watkins and Crowell...cuz that makes sense. 

I got gun shy when Murray had the the big game vs Seattle, then DHenry had those 2 stinkers vs Hou & Mia...He looks to be on the path many saw coming from the beginning...sunzbeetches

Just now, NeroVendict said:

Someone please, its happening.gif

I think it's a little premature for that.  Remember earlier this season when he sat a couple practices and then lead the backfield.  Now if he doesn't practice tomorrow... LetGo!

3 minutes ago, NeroVendict said:

Someone please, its happening.gif

just, no. 

it was done during the week leading up to the Seattle game and it was a yuuuuuge arse jinx. 

no.  just, no.