Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigPapi44

Jacoby Jones 2017 Outlook

With the injury to J.D. Martinez, and now Steven Moya being placed on waivers,  I suspect JaCoby Jones is going to make the team.  He could be a solid sleeper if he's able to start the season hot, as he could also push Collins or Mahook out of CF possibly, when JD is ready to return.  There is 20/20 potential with a lower average upside. 

One interesting thing about Jones is that he is listed at 3B in some leagues.

I don't really know what to think about JaCoby. I believe the power potential is there, but for some reason, he's never really tapped into it. He looks like a strong kid, but in college the power was never there. Can't really blame him for that because he played under the same staff that Bregman played under. As I mentioned in his thread, LSU's staff teaches level swings...going for singles and doubles. 

16 HR in 525 AB in 2015 between A-AA and 7 HR in 369 AB between AA-AAA last year. The move to AAA last year really sapped his power, so I'm not sure if it was the ballpark or the quality in pitching or what. He apparently like's hitting at AA Erie, lol, because he slashed .283/.362/.511 there with 10 HR and 42 RBI in 223 AB.

My biggest concern with JJ is his number of strikeouts...he's a windmill. He's K'd 431 times in 1400 MiLB ABs and K'd 12 times in 28 MLB ABs last year. 

He's had a nice spring so far...hitting .340 in 47 ABs with 3 SB and 2 HR. He's only K'd 10 times, so that's improvement. I just don't know that I trust him when the lights come on. He's worth keeping an eye on, but my expectations aren't high. 

He's absolutely going to make the opening day roster.  The question is playing time.  I personally think he should be our every day CF, but it might end up being a committee.  Everyone he's been competing against has been putrid, but you have to account for the Ausmus factor.  The injury to JD isn't going to have that big of an affect on him, since we already have a vacant position in the OF, but at the same time it can't hurt.

Keep an eye on this one.

@Flyman75 we can hope!! :lol:

1 minute ago, JJ1223 said:

He's absolutely going to make the opening day roster.  The question is playing time.  I personally think he should be our every day CF, but it might end up being a committee.  Everyone he's been competing against has been putrid, but you have to account for the Ausmus factor.  The injury to JD isn't going to have that big of an affect on him, since we already have a vacant position in the OF, but at the same time it can't hurt.

Keep an eye on this one.

Is your name an prediction of his season if he gets 500 AB? JJ with 12 HR and 23 SB? :D

Nice start to the season for JaCoby...1-for-3 with a 3-run HR, SB, and zero Ks through 6 innings. 

Sitting again today...looking like he'll be the one to go when Martinez returns.  I was hoping they'd give the kid a chance.

12 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Sitting again today...looking like he'll be the one to go when Martinez returns.  I was hoping they'd give the kid a chance.

I'm disappointed, but not dropping yet in deep leagues. Mikie Mahtook and Austin Romine aren't really anything special, let's see what happens.

Maybe I drop. idk. Frustrating, blew quite a bit of FAAB to get him haha. Sunk cost at this point (and $0 min bids, so whatever).

16 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I'm disappointed, but not dropping yet in deep leagues. Mikie Mahtook and Austin Romine aren't really anything special, let's see what happens.

Maybe I drop. idk. Frustrating, blew quite a bit of FAAB to get him haha. Sunk cost at this point (and $0 min bids, so whatever).

True, but if he's going to only play every couple days the Tigers are better off sending him to AAA to play everyday.  Guys like Mathook, Romine and Collins are good guys to platoon or mix and match.