maguirekm

Aaron Altherr 2017 Outlook

19 minutes ago, KrunK said:

He hasn't and an 0-for since June 16th lol. He's slowed down some but it's not like he's fallen off a cliff by any means.

touche'

on the other hand, since May 14th (the back end of his torrid hot streak) Altherr's hits per game are as follows:

0,0,1,2,0,1,0,2,2,0,0,1,1,2,1,1,1,0, 0,0,3,1,0,3,0,0,1,2,1,0,0,1,2,1,1,2,1,3,1,1,1  

and 5 total homers in that span, to go with 8 total walks and 46 strikeouts.

In that span his OPS dropped from a godly (and unsustainable) 1.148 to .886

Pace that out over a full season, it's roughly a 26 homer pace with a .300 on base percentage. I'm not sure how valuable (palatable?) that is in today's environment.

Don't get me wrong, I like Altherr a lot, and I think the Springer-lite upside comp is valid. I just think he has a lot of growing to do, and as another poster said, if he isn't going deep, what exactly is he contributing? 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

I dropped him about a month ago and he was picked up, I told the manager to have fun with the empty avg and strikeouts. Lots of 1 hit games with no other stats I thought. Then I look now and he has 40 RBI and 35 Runs? I got that with my guys but that's not bad.  

But in 2017, his production is just not that impressive. He needs to hit more HR or steal bases. Though I am sure he will find his way back onto a roster, he is serviceable. 

Edited by Mickey Donovan

I'm curious where the steals went. If he had 7-8 right now, he'd be a lot more valuable (Capt Obvious moment), but he started getting caught and stopped running. If he was pacing 15-20 steals to go with that 25-30 HR pace, he'd be a huge asset. Without those, however, he's fairly replaceable, depending on the league. 

I don't understand how you can say that with those numbers he'd be a huge asset but without them he's fairly replaceable.  You just quoted stats of 30 bombs and 20 sb.  I mean my god if he did that he'd be a top 20 player overall.  And he's hitting .280.  I guess he's replaceable if you are in a 10 team league.  I've loved the production from a waiver wire pickup.  He had a boring weeks after he's coming out week when he first started getting everyday at bats, but the last two weeks have been more than acceptable to me.

edit:  I just saw the last line of your post where you said depending on the league, sorry about that.  Definitely agree that his ownership is 100% dependent on that.

Edited by Triple Crown25

In my league we can keep 8 and If it ended today and I had to decide, I'd keep Alther and this is why:

He's got all the tools and he isn't even close to his apex. 

Ten game hit streak!

2 hours ago, Triple Crown25 said:

I don't understand how you can say that with those numbers he'd be a huge asset but without them he's fairly replaceable.  You just quoted stats of 30 bombs and 20 sb.  I mean my god if he did that he'd be a top 20 player overall.  And he's hitting .280.  I guess he's replaceable if you are in a 10 team league.  I've loved the production from a waiver wire pickup.  He had a boring weeks after he's coming out week when he first started getting everyday at bats, but the last two weeks have been more than acceptable to me.

edit:  I just saw the last line of your post where you said depending on the league, sorry about that.  Definitely agree that his ownership is 100% dependent on that.

Well, I said that he's replaceable without the SBs. If he's putting up 25-30 HR and 15-20 SB, he should be owned in most leagues, if not all. Right now, the SBs are looking like an extreme longshot. 

Yes sir. Just can't quit this guy! HR, 2B and SB today at the top of the order.

8 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Anyone see why he got pulled?

sounds like he pulled up lame going into 2nd on his double. Hopefully it's a cramp or something

Just now, KarlJ. said:

sounds like he pulled up lame going into 2nd on his double. Hopefully it's a cramp or something

Fingers crossed.  I'd really like to see what he can do with a full season of ABs. 

2 hours ago, aifan27 said:

Mild hamstring strain according to Phillies broadcast

I'm guessing they didn't define "mild" as in day to day or possibly a trip to DL instead?

Unless it's a super tame hammy pull they'll probably throw him on the 10 day. Team's terrible so there's no use putting him out there too early so he can reaggravate it. Hammy and quad pulls can linger all season.

I could be wrong but based off of 'mild' pull and the now DL happy league with the 10 day DL, that'd be my guess. 

Edited by KrunK

Any injury news on this guy?  There's nothing online

56 minutes ago, Morat said:

Any injury news on this guy?  There's nothing online

I haven't seen any updates, but he was targeting around now or early September for a return so he is still "on schedule". I would expect the Phillies to be extremely conservative with Altheer. This isn't the first time he has tweaked the hammy and I think they wait until he is 100% before he starts a rehab. If there is no talk of a rehab in early September I think they might shut him down. I highly doubt they want a situation like Cespedes with their young player. Altheer has already shown growth this year and demonstrated what the Phillies needed to see from him so the season is a success already. Just need to get to the offseason healthy to train to take the next step next year. 

2 hours ago, octapuss said:

Anyone want to put a rank on this guy for next year? Top 30 outfielder?

Maybe considering he should be batting in the middle of the lineup next year with Hoskins and maybe Kingery (if they bat him 2nd or 3rd).  They should have a pretty interesting offense eventually next season, which obviously will help Altherr's numbers.

Obviously we have to see more from him than 2 or 3 months of solid production, but I would say he should be a Top 40 OF at the very least.

Edited by KilloWertz

Could be back by this weekend, lord knows my outfield would welcome the addition.