maguirekm

Aaron Altherr 2017 Outlook

7 minutes ago, Stein said:

STARTING IN LF AND BATTING 2ND!

Who's getting the day off?

And he responds with hits and quality ab's...maybe, oh just maybe, they let him play a few games in a row to get in a rhythm??

This guy is toolsy and athletic. I haven't heard anything but pure speculation to get him in the lineup more - why not 1B with Joseph struggling?

poor man's Springer. I'm tellin you guys. Just needs at bats and experience.

in that ballpark, in a 150 game season, I think he could be a .265-27-20 kind of guy 

11 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

poor man's Springer. I'm tellin you guys. Just needs at bats and experience.

in that ballpark, in a 150 game season, I think he could be a .265-27-20 kind of guy 

The question is, what year?

There is no excuse for Kendrick, Saunders and Joseph to all play ahead of this guy. This is possibly one of the strangest situations in the league right now. 

He's still another year away from arbitration, so this isn't a deliberate value suppressing lineup decision that a rebuilding team might angle toward, right?

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

last year.

time is a flat circle

17 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

And....he's out of the effin lineup.

Really needs to play everyday, a lot of skills

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

And....he's out of the effin lineup.

He was just added. Batting 5th.

Saunders hasn't been anything special, Altherr got the nod yesterday with Saunders getting pulled from the lineup.

Echoing the sentiments of others here, Altherr just needs to play. He could be a real nice pickup for owners.

In left and batting second. I think if you're in a real deep league and he's out there - you make your move now even if you end up dropping in a week.

I think he can put up 20/20 still.

20/20 isnt as easily attainable as people make it sound.  Only a few people achieved it last season and those were guys like Trout and Altuve. Even if Altherr plays the rest of the season 20/20 is highly unlikely. 

13 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

20/20 isnt as easily attainable as people make it sound.  Only a few people achieved it last season and those were guys like Trout and Altuve. Even if Altherr plays the rest of the season 20/20 is highly unlikely. 

yeah, you think about each time a guy on your fantasy team steals a base or hits a home run. You're like "yeah! heck yeah!"

that has to happen 40 times. Sounds much easier than it really is 

25 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Sure, but how many people actually have the skills to do it?  That is an even smaller number.  This guy does have those skills.  He did go 19-22 across three levels in 2015, so that talent is there.  Losing 2016 to injury was a huge setback.

I'm a numbers guy, so I also trust the numbers, but sometimes you have to throw the numbers out and trust what you see from the talent of the player.  Something is very intriguing about this guy to me.  

Philadelphia should absolutely be playing this guy right now at all costs.  I'd love to see what he could do with 600+ ABs this year.

Right now he is a flier player, but one that I'm paying close attention to.

1 hour ago, Travis Burten said:

Did he recently get better or something? His stats in the past years suck, and his minor league stats aren't that impressive. 

as Gerrit Cole will tell you, Altherr... altherred his swing, allowing his natural pop and athleticism to play better 

Took a flyer on him in NL only and he's finally getting some consistent playing time...Hope he can keep it going and force his way into the line up everyday...

12 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Okay yeah, he's pretty good. Reminds me of a young Alex Rios

That's a pretty interesting comp! Rios was a unique cat, had huge power but seldom really tapped into for long stretches. Was such an all-around fantasy producer though. I just don't like (or trust) this Philly manager to give him consistent ab's...one 0-fer and he's gonna be on the pine for 2+ days.