Sign in to follow this  
codyodea

Corey Dickerson 2017 Outlook

So now he's pushing a .650 slugging percentage and ranks #6 in weighted runs created behind Trout, Harper, Freeman, Judge, and Zimmerman.  Not bad.

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Savage total savage

A dickbomb! From Dick-Rod! 

it's crazy how deep OF is this year where a guy slugging .650 isn't 100% owned. 

Just now, 2ndCitySox said:

A dickbomb! From Dick-Rod! 

it's crazy how deep OF is this year where a guy slugging .650 isn't 100% owned. 

Illuminati

this guy is like last years Murphy where he was low owned as hell and caught fire and eventually people believed

Nice to see Dickerson finally hitting outside of Coors.  I've always been a big fan.  I wish I had him back on my team.

Dickerson was by back up option if Thames didn't work. You could get him late, and has 20hr/70rbi potential.   I have him on almost all my teams. Now if I could have some luck with my pitching I'd be somebody.

Watched highlights tonight and he singled on a ball that bounced off the plate, Vlad style. That's legit considering everything else he's doing and I don't think he's going to disappear. Dickerson at one time was going to be the next big thing in Colorado for fantasy purposes. Gets plantar fasciitis, plays poorly, and gets traded to Tampa. If a player suddenly stops producing and is dealing with an injury it's usually because of the injury. Hard to beat other professionals if you aren't healthy. The narrative makes a lot of sense. Could be one of those players that's a league winner.

Edited by Marty Funkhouser

14 minutes ago, Vman7 said:

Another HR. Where would this guy be drafted today?

6th-7th round.

Where was this dude last year? I guess perhaps when you get out of COL you need some time to adjust.

He's actually swinging more than last year when he was garbage. Wonder what the adjustment was.

Based upon what I read, he's fully healthy, in great shape (lost 20 lbs), and he's not pressing anymore to impress his new teamates.

It's hard to remember sometimes that these players are just humans and this is a very mental game.

Total stud. His counting stats would look so much better had he not been hitting leadoff for most of the season. With Mallex now hitting at the top of the order for what looks like an extended period of time (Kiermaier injury) Dickerson has moved down to the 2 spot. 

My only knock on Dickerson is his lack of patience and what seems like an inability to draw walks. But I'm guessing most would argue that it's his aggressiveness at the plate that makes him so dangerous. He's a true bad ball hitter along the lines of Vlad Guerrero. That's my opinion, at least.

Edited by countingcrow

On 5/31/2017 at 3:16 AM, Marty Funkhouser said:

Watched highlights tonight and he singled on a ball that bounced off the plate, Vlad style. That's legit considering everything else he's doing and I don't think he's going to disappear. Dickerson at one time was going to be the next big thing in Colorado for fantasy purposes. Gets plantar fasciitis, plays poorly, and gets traded to Tampa. If a player suddenly stops producing and is dealing with an injury it's usually because of the injury. Hard to beat other professionals if you aren't healthy. The narrative makes a lot of sense. Could be one of those players that's a league winner.

They use to platoon him pretty hard in CO. Now...he has .928 OPS vs LHP. Its crazy to think what kind of stats he would be putting up right now in that thin air.

I dealt him last week for Zimmerman with the thought that he's 5th in the league (100PA) in xwOBA-wOBA discrepancy and that a decent amount of negative regression is on its way. His xwOBA is .329 vs. an actual wOBA of .416. Thats a huge difference. Granted, Zimmerman is 29th but his xwOBA is still a monster .424 (xwOBA- .476)!

On 6/10/2017 at 4:18 PM, warningtrackpower said:

Based upon what I read, he's fully healthy, in great shape (lost 20 lbs), and he's not pressing anymore to impress his new teamates.

It's hard to remember sometimes that these players are just humans and this is a very mental game.

I think he also made a swing or mechanical change too. I don't remember what it was but I read something about that early in the season.

Such little talk for this guy having a stud year. He's gone past the sell high stage and seems legit, though maybe now you really could get a top 5-10 OF if you think he'll drop off.

A great article to read about him, really interesting stuff on what a freak hitter C-Dick is: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/three-ways-corey-dickerson-is-a-big-giant-freak/

He stopped stress eating from trying to impress his teammate like last year, got in shape and thats that. 

2 hours ago, Gryfter said:

He stopped stress eating from trying to impress his teammate like last year, got in shape and thats that. 

And so is having a better year than his Coors days? There's more to it than that.

15 hours ago, swfcdan said:

And so is having a better year than his Coors days? There's more to it than that.

Hes hitting his prime? LOL

4 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Hes hitting his prime? LOL

The analysis in this thread is just riveting...

20 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Yes you are right. 

1. "The Coors Effect" as they traditionally call it takes about a year to get over.  Breaking balls don't break as sharply in thin air.  It takes about this long for a former Coors hitter to get totally in synch with breaking stuff especially playing at sea level.

2. Last year TB was jerking him around in their endless "platoon outfield" stuff they seem to do with most their players.  And he had to DH a lot because of his feet.

3.  Which brings us to his foot problem which seems to be largely absent this season.  Happy feet, happy bat.

Add in this stuff to that cited above about getting out stress/prove yourself mode, losing a lot of weight in the off season and entering his prime and you pretty much have the whole story now.

So 3 of his 6 games this week are in Pittsburgh with no DH.

I'm not sure how much OF he's actually played this year but it'd be hard to keep his bat on the bench.

Weekly lineup people...what's the call here?

3 minutes ago, Koufax Machine said:

So 3 of his 6 games this week are in Pittsburgh with no DH.

I'm not sure how much OF he's actually played this year but it'd be hard to keep his bat on the bench.

Weekly lineup people...what's the call here?

1. First, play in a real daily league, heh.  (But seriously you can even set daily leagues a week or more in advance if you want anyway but you have complete flex and ability to tweak if things change).

2. FYI, he has played 47 games at DH and 30 games in LF according to the Baseball Reference website.  No physical reason he can't play out in LF.

3. They are a hot, contending team.  They don't want to lose momentum.  Why would they sit Dickerson unless it is one game as a "usual day off" thing.  All everyday players seem to get "usual days off" these days.  But heck I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson Ramos doesn't play in 2 of those 3 games and he is just back.

4. Speaking of Ramos, Dickerson will be playing a LOT in the field the next month with Ramos getting a lot of DH-ing between catching starts.  So I see no reason for him not to be playing full time there now in Pittsburgh.