TXTaz

Madison Bumgarner 2017 Season Outlook

He's on a bad team and maybe enjoys taking more risks than SF Giants management would like, which has led a lost season essentially. That said, he's a bulldog and love his competitiveness.  I'm hoping he falls far enough in the drafts next year to pick up. 3rd or 4th round and i'm a buyer.

Edited by MrBrett

I know the conventional wisdom is don't draft for pitcher wins, but this is a guy who has 14 starts and all of 3 wins.  The lineup is pathetic and the farm system is garbage.  In a QS league I could see reaching into the 3rd round, but the fact that he's likely to struggle to get to 7 or 8 wins no matter how well he pitches next year makes me want to put him way toward the back end of the SP1s in standard roto, and wait until the 4th to get him (which means I won't.)  If I did reach for him in the 2nd/3rd, I'd definitely want to double-tap to get an SP2 on a really good team.  Streaming for wins at the end of the season is kind of a nightmare the way back-end pitching is nowadays -- I want to get my wins from the aces.

3 hours ago, MrBrett said:

He's on a bad team and maybe enjoys taking more risks than SF Giants management would like, which has led a lost season essentially. That said, he's a bulldog and love his competitiveness.  I'm hoping he falls far enough in the drafts next year to pick up. 3rd or 4th round and i'm a buyer.

with the Giants interested in Upton

I think they are going to be super aggressive in the offseason and will have a much better team next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they were players for JD Martinez in FA and another SP to go with Bum and Cueto

The clock is ticking on Posey and they know they need to move now

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

On 9/4/2017 at 3:50 AM, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

with the Giants interested in Upton

I think they are going to be super aggressive in the offseason and will have a much better team next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they were players for JD Martinez in FA and another SP to go with Bum and Cueto

The clock is ticking on Posey and they know they need to move now

I hope like anything JD knows better than to sign with them.  That park sucks for power hitters and this is going to be JD's big multi-year contract in the off season.  He needs to go hit where the balls rocket out of the park.

Also I wouldn't take Thor next year if you handed him to me on a platter but I think Bum here will be just fine again.  I'd put him 5th after the big four with Carrasco and deGrom nipping at his heels.

In the meantime MadBum needs to win tomorrow's game.  I mean he NEEDS to win it.  The fate of his "team" (and I don't mean the Giants) may well depend on his performance.  (Of course JD needs to get over his stiff neck and play but wait until the relievers come in to hit his homer.  Playoffs are soooo confusing).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Bumgarner with a very nice bounceback performance tonight.  Obviously another loss given the fact that the Giants look like little leaguers up there.

You can kind of give them the benefit of the doubt tonight going up against Greinke, but still, I'm not sure MadBum will win another game until next season.

Edited by KilloWertz

8 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Very good start against a powerful offense.

Yeah, he looked like vintage MadBum last night, which obviously brought back memories from before this season.

Speaking of bringing back memories, will his next start be another vintage pitching duel that has been so great over the years?  Bumgarner vs. Kershaw...

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

Yeah, he looked like vintage MadBum last night, which obviously brought back memories from before this season.

Speaking of bringing back memories, will his next start be another vintage pitching duel that has been so great over the years?  Bumgarner vs. Kershaw...

I'm just hoping he doesn't get blown up. The Dodgers are 5th in wRC+ against LHP. They are 7th in wRC+ at home. Not looking too good for MadBum, but we'll see.

15 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I'm just hoping he doesn't get blown up. The Dodgers are 5th in wRC+ against LHP. They are 7th in wRC+ at home. Not looking too good for MadBum, but we'll see.

Me too.  Obviously he's a guy you put out there regardless, but this will obviously be another really big test.

bum vs the doyers and people are worried?  he just did throw 7 shutout inn @la sub 1 whip 7 k's in his only start vs la this year in late july 

5 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

bum vs the doyers and people are worried?  he just did throw 7 shutout inn @la sub 1 whip 7 k's in his only start vs la this year in late july 

I'm actually not worried.  You just always hope that they pitch good every time.  Last night's start calmed any nerves I had about him after his two duds in a row.  I was being serious when I said last night's start brought back memories of watching him before this season, minus the fact that the Giants' offense is even worse this season.

The surprise news of the week is that Madison Bumgarner actually got a Win tonight, bringing his record to a sparkling 4-9.

On a serious note, he did look really good again tonight.  He gave up his token HR, but otherwise the Dodgers did very little against Bumgarner tonight.

His velocity has been creeping back up.

2 hours ago, B&F said:

His velocity has been creeping back up.

It was mostly where it usually is, but I did notice a few around 93-95 last night, so that was something.

He honestly doesn't really need the extra velocity that much, as he really didn't have it most of his career (as far as I know), but that was probably a reason for the increase in strikeouts over the previous two seasons.

14 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

It was mostly where it usually is, but I did notice a few around 93-95 last night, so that was something.

He honestly doesn't really need the extra velocity that much, as he really didn't have it most of his career (as far as I know), but that was probably a reason for the increase in strikeouts over the previous two seasons.

I think its a hot gun in LA......I watched a Grienke start where he hit 95 a couple times at Dodgers stadium recently

5 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I think its a hot gun in LA......I watched a Grienke start where he hit 95 a couple times at Dodgers stadium recently

I actually thought that when he hit a decent bit higher than he had been recently once in the game, but wasn't sure.  His other stuff was pretty normal, and really most of his pitches were outside of a few, so I think it just happens occasionally per game there.

Edited by KilloWertz