TXTaz

Madison Bumgarner 2017 Season Outlook

CSB... I had an AC sprain in college and it took me about 2 months to really get over it.  I didn't have to throw a baseball though, but I also didn't have access to the same doctors and treatment Bumgarner will receive.  

Rotoworld blurb, where spelling doesn't count:

Giants placed LHP Madison Bumgarner on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 19, with bruised ribs and a Grade 1-2 strain of his left shoulder AC joint.

Bumgarner suffered the injuries during a dirk bike accident on Thursday. Seriously. The left-hander is out of the hospital and currently resting at the team's hotel in Denver. He will be re-evaluated next week. Obviously, it's difficult to project how much time Bumgarner might miss, but more shout be known sometime in the next few days. It's the first time in his career that Bumgarner has been placed on the disabled list. Ty Blach is likely to take his spot in the Giants' rotation.

Aren't "dirks" like long daggers?  Good thing they didn't slice and dice him at the same time, heh.  But at least Rotoworld promised us more "shout" will be known soon.

I thought baseball had stuff in contracts with all their players and especially pitchers kind of outlawing stuff like "dirk" bikes etc.  Hasn't this been around ever since Jim Lonborg ended his career in a skiing accident back in the late 60's. 

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Aren't dirks like long daggers?  Good thing they didn't slice and dice him at the same time, heh.

I thought baseball had stuff in contracts with all their players and especially pitchers kind of outlawing stuff like "dirk" bikes etc.  Hasn't this been around ever since Jim Lonborg ended his career in a skiing accident back in the late 60's. 

No I think he means Dirk Nowitzki's new signature line of dirt bikes. I've heard they're known for their instability. If he doesn't have a line in his contract preventing him from doing this now he will in the future.

1 minute ago, Kantheman4 said:

If dropped, any reason to stash him? If it is a 6 to 8 weeks time frame, heck even 10, he's back by mid July at worst case.

There is a reason and the reason is that he's Madison Bumgarner.

So he's going to miss about 12 starts.  That's if he doesn't have a setback.  Potentially, the Giants could opt to rest him more and bring him back after the all-star break.,  

1 minute ago, Kantheman4 said:

If dropped, any reason to stash him? If it is a 6 to 8 weeks time frame, heck even 10, he's back by mid July at worst case.

If he's dropped, I want to be in your league

Good god if someone dropped Bum I would blow a #1 waiver or 100% of my FAAB for him in a heartbeat. 

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Aren't "dirks" like long daggers?  Good thing they didn't slice and dice him at the same time, heh.  But at least Rotoworld promised us more "shout" will be known soon.

Giants can't be happy.  They went through this when Jeff Kent did the same and fell "washing his truck."  

They had a clause in Zito's contract that prohibited him from surfing.  Ugh.  This sucks.

Dodgers weathered the storm last year when Kershaw went down and ended up just fine for the playoffs. Let's see how this affects the Giants long-term this season. I think it will impact the Giants much much more than the Dodgers were affected last year.

Sux for Bum and his owners big time.

Turner Bumgarner Marte, what a trio I went with

this is one of those things that could void a contract

Edited by Golden Spikes

Well...if there is a silver lining, at least he's not like a Harvey, Greinke or one of those other guys last season who sucked for most of the season but you couldn't sit him.  Here you just DL and make an add.  ...really searching for silver linings here. 

28 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Turner Bumgarner Marte, what a trio I went with

this is one of those things that could void a contract

i'd like to see them try that

31 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Dodgers weathered the storm last year when Kershaw went down and ended up just fine for the playoffs. Let's see how this affects the Giants long-term this season. I think it will impact the Giants much much more than the Dodgers were affected last year.

Sux for Bum and his owners big time.

If anyone can weather the storm, the Dodgers should be able to. The difference in payrolls is almost 70 million. Just think, that's more than the whole payroll for the Rays and Brewers.

I'd be concerned about long term effects of this injury even after he comes back. Need to hear more info.