TXTaz

Madison Bumgarner 2017 Season Outlook

Basically zero chance they void his contract.  What they won't do now is extend him.  So he's the one out the millions of dollars.  

I would guess he'll be out longer than 8 weeks.  Probably looking at 3 months.  Giants will probably stink, so he probably won't be rushed.  I'd bet three months.  Hopefully more comes out this week once he's re-evaluated.  Not sure how quickly teams do this, but we could have a better idea if he's moved to the 60-day DL.  

He's basically ruined the Giants season, along with most fantasy owners. They are so reliant on him, and without him they haven't got a prayer of competing. I bet he's been apologizing to everyone under the sun.

At least we might be able to find an improving young arm off the WW to at least keep us in the hunt until he returns.

I'm pressing on as though he doesn't pitch meaningfully again this season unless the Giants are somehow in it post-ASB. An absolute wrecking ball to anyone's season that has him. Gotta play the wire and hope to cobble something together.

Bum needs to be fined heavily being this irresponsible and stupid demands some punishment. He basically ruined the giants playoff chances, he should lose his pay for this year.

2 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

Bum needs to be fined heavily being this irresponsible and stupid demands some punishment. He basically ruined the giants playoff chances, he should lose his pay for this year.

1.  The Giants have him on one of the most team friendly deals in all of baseball.  It's already criminal.  For reference, he is making about half of what Matt Cain is making and about the same as they are paying Denard Span.  They could play hardball with him over this, but why?  If he was already making Cain + money, it might be a different story and the team would pursue it.  They know he is on a team friendly deal. 

2. Sure, management is pissed, but they also know that having Bumgarner around for more than the next two years is vital to their success as well. The Giants know what he means to them as a team and as a franchise and they will want to resign him when his option years are up. You don't build up good will with your franchise player by going after his money when he is already making peanuts.  Maybe they do go after his money.  I don't know, but I highly doubt it considering all the variables. 

3.  Bum screwed up.  He knows he screwed up. I just hope it doesn't hurt him further.  The fact he didn't need surgery is a HUGE plus in all of this.

4. This team stinks.  If they can't regroup and rally when their pitcher is out 6-8 weeks, they were never a playoff team to begin with.  They have holes all up and down the lineup and the rest of the rotation is pitching like complete dog s---. I'm sure Bumgarner knew he messed up, but let's be honest here, the Giants probably ruined their own chances of making the playoffs with another subpar offseeason and leaving holes in a roster that is getting older. You can't compete when you have no power and holes all up and down the lineup.  If anything, this injury might be a wake up call to management to start getting creative and figuring out a rebuilding plan as they do have a nice core, but too many holes and nothing on the bench.  Maybe management needed that kind of wake up.  Maybe having a completely crappy season will force them to actually pursue some more talent as the window is open now, but won't be in a couple of years when Posey, Crawford, Bum, etc. are even older. They did nothing to improve in the offseason on a club that was barely projected to be above .500 (they actually look much worse that that so far).  Blaming Bumgarner now when this team is awful seems rather convenient.

1 hour ago, The Czar said:

1.  The Giants have him on one of the most team friendly deals in all of baseball.  It's already criminal.  For reference, he is making about half of what Matt Cain is making and about the same as they are paying Denard Span.  They could play hardball with him over this, but why?  If he was already making Cain + money, it might be a different story and the team would pursue it.  They know he is on a team friendly deal. 

2. Sure, management is pissed, but they also know that having Bumgarner around for more than the next two years is vital to their success as well. The Giants know what he means to them as a team and as a franchise and they will want to resign him when his option years are up. You don't build up good will with your franchise player by going after his money when he is already making peanuts.  Maybe they do go after his money.  I don't know, but I highly doubt it considering all the variables. 

3.  Bum screwed up.  He knows he screwed up. I just hope it doesn't hurt him further.  The fact he didn't need surgery is a HUGE plus in all of this.

4. This team stinks.  If they can't regroup and rally when their pitcher is out 6-8 weeks, they were never a playoff team to begin with.  They have holes all up and down the lineup and the rest of the rotation is pitching like complete dog s---. I'm sure Bumgarner knew he messed up, but let's be honest here, the Giants probably ruined their own chances of making the playoffs with another subpar offseeason and leaving holes in a roster that is getting older. You can't compete when you have no power and holes all up and down the lineup.  If anything, this injury might be a wake up call to management to start getting creative and figuring out a rebuilding plan as they do have a nice core, but too many holes and nothing on the bench.  Maybe management needed that kind of wake up.  Maybe having a completely crappy season will force them to actually pursue some more talent as the window is open now, but won't be in a couple of years when Posey, Crawford, Bum, etc. are even older. They did nothing to improve in the offseason on a club that was barely projected to be above .500 (they actually look much worse that that so far).  Blaming Bumgarner now when this team is awful seems rather convenient.

So being on a team friendly deal excuses the stupidity of riding dirt bikes during the regular season lol thats silly??? Also lets not overreact about the rest of the giants roster April is not even over yet lol and they have enough power with belt posey pence crawford. Bumgarner screwed up bad there's no excusing it.

6 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

So being on a team friendly deal excuses the stupidity of riding dirt bikes during the regular season lol thats silly??? Also lets not overreact about the rest of the giants roster April is not even over yet lol and they have enough power with belt posey pence crawford. Bumgarner screwed up bad there's no excusing it.

Did I excuse it?  I said the team won't pursue it and laid out the many reasons why they won't pursue it.

It's been pretty well documented that the team likely won't pursue it: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/22/will-giants-seek-to-dock-madison-bumgarners-pay/

Will the Giants seek to dock Bumgarner’s pay, or void his contract?

The short answer is no. The more nuanced answer: also no, but it depends on who the player is, what he’s accomplished, how much money he’s making and how permissive his coaching staff and organization are about these things.

Giants GM Bobby Evans, asked about Bumgarner’s contract language, said via text that he was “not focused on that. Our medical staff’s attention to Madison’s health and our staff preparing for the Rockies series is the focus. (We’re) counting our blessings that he will be OK.”

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giants-unlikely-to-punish-Bumgarner-by-voiding-11091842.php

And yes, that offense is a steaming pile of suck.  They weren't going to make the playoffs this year with a giant hole in LF and a fourth OF with no range in center.  And no, there isn't enough power in this lineup for a contender. It was a massive issue last year and continues to be an issue this year.  You can't be a contender when your team leader in home runs the year before had 17 and you got worse in the offseason by failing to fill that hole in LF. Yes, losing Angel Pagan actually hurt this club, which is also sad in itself.  This isn't a playoff team as currently constructed. 

Edited by The Czar

53 minutes ago, The Czar said:

Did I excuse it?  I said the team won't pursue it and laid out the many reasons why they won't pursue it.

It's been pretty well documented that the team likely won't pursue it: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/22/will-giants-seek-to-dock-madison-bumgarners-pay/

Will the Giants seek to dock Bumgarner’s pay, or void his contract?

The short answer is no. The more nuanced answer: also no, but it depends on who the player is, what he’s accomplished, how much money he’s making and how permissive his coaching staff and organization are about these things.

Giants GM Bobby Evans, asked about Bumgarner’s contract language, said via text that he was “not focused on that. Our medical staff’s attention to Madison’s health and our staff preparing for the Rockies series is the focus. (We’re) counting our blessings that he will be OK.”

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giants-unlikely-to-punish-Bumgarner-by-voiding-11091842.php

And yes, that offense is a steaming pile of suck.  They weren't going to make the playoffs this year with a giant hole in LF and a fourth OF with no range in center.  And no, there isn't enough power in this lineup for a contender. It was a massive issue last year and continues to be an issue this year.  You can't be a contender when your team leader in home runs the year before had 17 and you got worse in the offseason by failing to fill that hole in LF. Yes, losing Angel Pagan actually hurt this club, which is also sad in itself.  This isn't a playoff team as currently constructed. 

Smh its April dude and this same team made the playoffs last year talk about an overreaction. Whats not an overreaction is that Bumgarner f'ed up badly doing something that was very stupid. If I was his teammates I would be pissed he even thought about riding a dirt bike during the season talk about being selfish.

10 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Smh its April dude and this same team made the playoffs last year talk about an overreaction. Whats not an overreaction is that Bumgarner f'ed up badly doing something that was very stupid. If I was his teammates I would be pissed he even thought about riding a dirt bike during the season talk about being selfish.

This, so much.  What he did is so irresponsibly selfish and his teammates should be pissed at him.  Regardless of whether anyone thinks SF has the horses to compete, its April and his focus should be on baseball.  If this were August and SF was pretty much out of it, this would be easier to swallow.  April?  Inexcusable.  You had all offseason to ride dirt bikes.  The focus should be on baseball, and your team.  

That being said I agree with The Czar on the money.  SF would be complete fools to go down that path.

Edited by Dahk

So professional athletes aren't allowed to participate in recreational activities? Okay...

1 hour ago, mysonx3 said:

So professional athletes aren't allowed to participate in recreational activities? Okay...

Playing golf, fishing, etc. are all as risky/dangerous as riding a dirt bike, right?

6 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Playing golf, fishing, etc. are all as risky/dangerous as riding a dirt bike, right?

Do you always put your employer first no matter what even when you're not on the clock?

Didn't think so

4 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Do you always put your employer first no matter what even when you're not on the clock?

Didn't think so

Yup, another great apples to apples comparison. Good job with this.

Just now, hailtoyourvictor said:

Yup, another great apples to apples comparison. Good job with this.

It is apples to apples. How is Bumgarner's relationship to his employer so different from yours as to fall under an entirely different set of rules?

If you don't think it's apples to apples, then you're by definition applying a double standard. You want to impose on Bumgarner rules that you yourself aren't willing to follow. That's called a double standard. It's also called hypocrisy.

2 hours ago, Dahk said:

This, so much.  What he did is so irresponsibly selfish and his teammates should be pissed at him.  Regardless of whether anyone thinks SF has the horses to compete, its April and his focus should be on baseball.  If this were August and SF was pretty much out of it, this would be easier to swallow.  April?  Inexcusable.  You had all offseason to ride dirt bikes.  The focus should be on baseball, and your team.  

That being said I agree with The Czar on the money.  SF would be complete fools to go down that path.

If it is bad in April it stays bad if it happens in August. It is still all one season. Or does it become permissible in August but the injury ends his career?

7 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

If it is bad in April it stays bad if it happens in August. It is still all one season. Or does it become permissible in August but the injury ends his career?

Did you actually read what I wrote?  I said if they were out of it later in the season it would be easier to swallow.  Under no circumstances would it be okay if he had a career ending injury.  Not sure what would possess you to say such nonsense.

He single handily won them a WS BY HIMSELF.  He's allotted a mistake.  Giants should be sucking this guys d*** daily for what he's done for them.  Any thought of voiding his deal, punishing, etc is laughable.  What he did was stupid but I guarantee with the type of competitor he is he'll come back angry and dominating the second he steps on the mound again.  

Edited by Cmilne23

Whether it becomes easier to swallow isn't really the point though. If it is wrong now it should be wrong then no matter what the Giants record is. He is still letting down his team and his team mates. 

37 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

It is apples to apples. How is Bumgarner's relationship to his employer so different from yours as to fall under an entirely different set of rules?

If you don't think it's apples to apples, then you're by definition applying a double standard. You want to impose on Bumgarner rules that you yourself aren't willing to follow. That's called a double standard. It's also called hypocrisy.

Yup.... It is apples to apples. You're nailing it!

A kid I know went to a division II school on a football scholarship and part of the agreement was that he would not play baseball his HS senior season because of injury risk.

I wonder if pro contracts have similar stipulations about anything. I don't think it's absurd to want your players to practice risk aversion (especially in season).

Edited by hailtoyourvictor

A lot of contracts will have stipulations, but if you want to enforce them on your ace who's single handily brought you titles you run the risk of A. Making him ask for trade and making it an uncomfortable environment for everyone or B. Making him Randy Johnson Seattle Mariners 1999 it.  Check Big Unit for Seattle and after trade for Houston.  He'll mail it in.

Giants have zero leverage.  They are best to handle behind scenes and just chalk it up to an unfortunate accident and ensure it doesn't happen again.  But if they try to get tough on Mad Bum they'll be in a no win position.

Edited by Cmilne23

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

A lot of contracts will have stipulations, but if you want to enforce them on your ace who's single handily brought you titles you run the risk of A. Making him ask for trade and making it an uncomfortable environment for everyone or B. Making him Randy Johnson Seattle Mariners 1999 it.  Check Big Unit for Seattle and after trade for Houston.  He'll mail it in.

Giants have zero leverage.  They are best to handle behind scenes and just chalk it up to an unfortunate accident and ensure it doesn't happen again.  But if they try to get tough on Mad Bum they'll be in a no win position.

Yeah, the situation is very tricky. I just don't understand the people who are insisting that athletes shouldn't consider risk aversion when doing things.

3 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Yeah, the situation is very tricky. I just don't understand the people who are insisting that athletes shouldn't consider risk aversion when doing things.

You gotta live life to some degree but riding dirt bikes during season doesn't seem like greatest thinking ever.  Has this story been confirmed?  If people recall years back fellow Giant and one of most underrated hitters of steroid era Jeff Kent broke his wrist washing his truck.  But later they found out he was doing wheelies on motorcycle on freeway.  

http://www.hardballtimes.com/tht-live/10th-anniversary-jeff-kent-washes-his-truck/

44 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Because, with all due respect to him, nobody cares what he does on his day off.  Not only does Bumgarner's health and ability to throw a baseball affect his livelihood but there's a trickle down effect where it impacts other people's livelihoods as well.  He's the most important player on that team, and while this isn't one of those situations, management can be fired if the season goes down the drain, players traded, etc.  You dont see Peyton Manning and Tom Brady riding jetskis on their off week.   

This is just typical it won't happen to me thinking.  In the end the guy who stands to lose the most is Madison bumgarner.  Now he has to show he's healthy and the same pitcher in order to get that big $ extension

14 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Because, with all due respect to him, nobody cares what he does on his day off.

That's my point though. That's a double-standard. I'm allowed to do what I want to do on my day off (within the law), but Madison Bumgarner isn't.